Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I've been beta testing for years, and this has to be one of the roughest ones yet. What on earth is up with the new icons? I feel like I'm back to a 2003 PC.

Lots and lots of bugs with the UI in general. I've noticed many 'checkboxes' check in the wrong place. The new Spotlight is completely obnoxious (I liked that it was in the corner; not boom on top of everything) and even little things like the cursor in the 'input box' in Launchpad search is off.

Let's call this one a pre-Alpha. I've never had such a bad first impression from Apple; but excited to watch this one grow...

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've been beta testing for years, and this has to be one of the roughest ones yet. What on earth is up with the new icons? I feel like I'm back to a 2003 PC.

Lots and lots of bugs with the UI in general. I've noticed many 'checkboxes' check in the wrong place. The new Spotlight is completely obnoxious (I liked that it was in the corner; not boom on top of everything) and even little things like the cursor in the 'input box' in Launchpad search is off.

Let's call this one a pre-Alpha. I've never had such a bad first impression from Apple; but excited to watch this one grow...

I would suggest sticking with Mavericks...nothing wrong with the 10.9.3 water.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I've never once debated going backwards, but I am this time. The design quality is just so unApple :-(

Can barely even read my wifi bars lol... It really feels like Windows crammed on top of OS X. Such a strange beta...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've never once debated going backwards, but I am this time. The design quality is just so unApple :-(

Can barely even read my wifi bars lol... It really feels like Windows crammed on top of OS X. Such a strange beta...

I do agree, I can't tell by looking, if I am connected to WiFi or not.

LoL you should have tried Windows Longhorn beta... that my friend was a clusterF.

but I am sticking this one through like I have with most all betas... at least OS X and Windows betas recently have been somewhat usable unlike some long ago Windows builds

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
There’s definitely some nice touches and some rough patches. It’s another design like iOS7 that’s designed for retina displays. Problem is of course that most every mac in existence has a non-retina display this round. Let’s hope that changes in the next 6 months.

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
That's what everyone said about iOS7 when it first came out, and now everyone loves it. Just wait, you'll get used to it. It's DP1.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
There’s definitely some nice touches and some rough patches. It’s another design like iOS7 that’s designed for retina displays. Problem is of course that most every mac in existence has a non-retina display this round. Let’s hope that changes in the next 6 months.

It's a bit of a shame that most internet pages still look crappy on Retina screens. Like, I totally get why the providers want to preserve bandwidth and all, but still.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
This should be expected of betas, and this is really a case where bug reports need to be filed. If you have a hard time reading wifi bars, make sure you report the screen resolution and what type of display you're using, and it might get taken care of. The iOS 7 beta was no walk in the park (starting from B1), but I personally believe that it was almost all worked out by release.

Just remember, this is still the first release.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
You may have been a beta tester for years, but moaning about issues the day after first beta is released? Seriously?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

It reminds me of the first iOS 7 betas. Very unstable.

It still amazes me when people complain about how unusable Developer Previews are. Granted the last few OS X releases were pretty solid - because nothing changed. This one has a completely new UI so it's bound to be work in progress for the first few previews.

As a developer you should be used to living on the bleeding edge.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

It still amazes me when people complain about how unusable Developer Previews are. Granted the last few OS X releases were pretty solid - because nothing changed. This one has a completely new UI so it's bound to be work in progress for the first few previews.

+ keeping a reinstall USB stick by your side.:D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Exactly. The first iOS 7 beta lasted 1% per minute battery life. My phone would die every 1.5-2 hours. Everything crashed. Almost unusable.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Im so sorry your mac is bricked.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The beta program is a great idea, microsoft really benefited from it in windows 7.

Though as people have mentioned, boy it does look rough at the moment

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The beta program is a great idea, microsoft really benefited from it in windows 7.
MS has been doing it since windows 3.1. Yeah its a great move to help generate some positive energy for the OS

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012

I was kind of hoping you could change the position of the spotlight bar... along with the icons in the dock. The dock itself, too. The way it is now on Mavericks seems perfect to me. So, this isn't customizable (yet)?

Also, from the looks of it I don't think I like the the gems. Red yellow and green so ... gradientless. It's definitely not for me.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Lots and lots of bugs with the UI in general. I've noticed many 'checkboxes' check in the wrong place.

Have you by any chance used the first Leopard beta in 2007? It was exactly like that. Don't worry, Apple will iron out all the bugs over time.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I get that it's a beta but surely the folks behind Yosemite (and iOS8) experience the same type of obvious, in your face, bugs. I would think it would benefit Apple much more to eliminate/solve what I'd view as the easy bugs and use betas to really get the less visible (yet still important) issues resolved....Outlook for Mac 2011 won't show...I can click it, the beginning banner starts up and initializes my identity but then blank screen....All of the menu functionality works across the top and those windows even appear...just the main inbox/calendar/contacts section isn't visible. That issue alone is going to prevent me from providing key feedback to apple on how to improve this product.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
MS has been doing it since windows 3.1. Yeah its a great move to help generate some positive energy for the OS

I thought windows 7 was the first one opened up to the general public. From memory the windows 7 beta program was very unique, and resulted in one of the best launches of an Microsoft OS.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I surprised the development of this isn't further along. I mean what has APple been up to this last year? And no new hardware yesterday... I guess I expected more.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Ummm no they haven't. They certainly didn't have a public beta for '95 and '98, NT, 2K or XP. It was invitation only.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought windows 7 was the first one opened up to the general public. From memory the windows 7 beta program was very unique, and resulted in one of the best launches of an Microsoft OS.

Ummm no they haven't. They certainly didn't have a public beta for '95 and '98, NT, 2K or XP. It was invitation only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_3.1
Microsoft began releasing public beta builds of NT in October 1992
I was able to sign up and get windows 3.1 and windows NT back in the day, I forget if I was invited for win 3.1 but the wiki does show that they had public betas for NT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.