Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
So, first of all, I've been wanting one of these for a few years, but never actually got one, and I've seen them become more collectable, so I figured I was done waiting...

Secondly, I have an iMac G3, iMac G4, a bunch of Clamshell and Snow iBooks, a Titanium PowerBook G4, a bunch of Mac Mini G4s, and a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) tower. (And those are only the PowerPC Macs!)

So, obviously, most of you probably know what's missing from that era...The Power Mac G4 Cube!

I've been waiting for one to come up on eBay for a long time now, and I like a good project, so when an untested one came up for $150+$30 of shipping, I couldn't keep myself from offering $90, which the seller accepted. I also had to pay a good chunk for the power supply separately. The cube finally came today.

It arrived in really bad condition. The "inside" portion of the cube was out, and the top plate which has the power button board had stayed inside the case, so the 5 pin connector for the touch power button had ripped right off the board. There was no Hard drive, tons of screws were missing, the heatsink was floating loose in the logic board area, and the DVD drive didn't (and still doesn't) work. It was also really dirty.

After about three hours of cleaning, soldering the connector, upgrades, and finding screws, it actually worked! And not only that, but to my surprise, it booted off of a 10.4.6 USB drive. It's got a 450MHz G4, 512MB RAM I had laying around, a new 160GB IDE hard drive, and an AirPort card. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out, especially since this one was definitely saved from the trash. What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking, Luke.
IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Well this is not good- I think it died overnight. Next morning it won’t boot and smoke is coming from inside. Something burned off on the board here.
2f5399bbd9cf3d8cacb7c66d4f4ac230.jpg
5276db523489a0913fa9b2cdd667dde9.jpg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Congratulations on restoring this Cube, especially as you bought it in a pretty bad shape.
What I pain that it's now blown what appears to be a surface mount capacitor. If I have a removed DC/DC powerboard I may be able to identify that component.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Voila, this is from a Cube I have currently disassembled for re-paste and general clean-up.

DC DC card.jpg

And a closer detail of the composants. C19 and C21 appear to be the blown culprits.

DC DC card2.jpg

Even with a good magnifying glass, there doesn't appear to be any additional idents on either C19 or C21.
Someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to advise further, especially on what may have caused these to fail - paging LightBulbFun, DosDude1 or aNother......

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
If anyone has that DC board that supplies power to the IDE drives I would be interested in buying it. Otherwise I’ll wait for a cracked cube to come up on eBay, or something like that. I still want to revive this thing!

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Well so far combining the two has been a success. First I had issues with the power button board but I was able to fix that.

Second, it booted up the first time but when I shut it down it started letting out some smoke. That sure scared me! After a lot of searching I discovered the smoke was coming from a blown capacitor on the control board of the hard drive. Phew.

It looks like when the DC board on the old cube went out it took the hard drive with it. I threw in the hard drive from my Power Mac G4 AGP to test it and the graphics card failed on the second boot. Wow.

So I switched the graphics card with the one from my old cube and now all is working for the time being. We will see how long it lasts.

It will read CDs but not DVDs. It has a very hard time ejecting, unsurprisingly.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Well so far combining the two has been a success. First I had issues with the power button board but I was able to fix that.

Second, it booted up the first time but when I shut it down it started letting out some smoke. That sure scared me! After a lot of searching I discovered the smoke was coming from a blown capacitor on the control board of the hard drive. Phew.

It looks like when the DC board on the old cube went out it took the hard drive with it. I threw in the hard drive from my Power Mac G4 AGP to test it and the graphics card failed on the second boot. Wow.

So I switched the graphics card with the one from my old cube and now all is working for the time being. We will see how long it lasts.

It will read CDs but not DVDs. It has a very hard time ejecting, unsurprisingly.

Geriatric computing at its finest. Glad it’s working for you :D

Reactions: z970

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I reckon that seller got his currency's confused, and it should be 2500 Ethiopian burr or something similar....:p

I occasionally pay top whack for a very collectable Mac in excellent condition, but surely nobody would be so crazy at $2500 US. Subtract a zero and he should get an offer - if functional.
As a guide, for my last fully functional G4 Cube and screen three years ago, I paid 120euros ($US130) - with temperamental optical drive of course. Rarely see them now for less than equivalent of $US300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.