Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I just noticed a file called "mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469-10103.exe" in my trash. This is definitely not something that I put there and since it's an .exe file it doesn't seem to be something that the OS would put there either.

Googling it results in a lot of sketchy websites giving conflicting information, some claiming that this is malware.

Does anyone recognise this? Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That file is the normal installer download for Malwarebytes (for Windows), a legitimate malware scan and removal tool. The most current version of that download file is "mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733.exe", so yours is just a somewhat older version.
Any chance that you have Malwarebytes for Mac?
Perhaps you downloaded the Windows version first without realizing it. (I have done that a couple of times :D )
Your file version 3.0.6 would have been downloaded between Jan 25 of this year, and May 10, when the current 3.1 was released.

Anyway, seems like a legitimate file, which is easy to accidentally download. But, being the Windows version, it just won't run on your Mac, as you know.
But, all that doesn't explain how it showed up in your trash without you remembering doing that.
Maybe if you run Malwarebytes, it scans for its own installer and cleans up after itself (?)

Reactions: joedec

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I do in fact use Malwarebytes for Mac. I still don't have an idea where the .exe file came from, but I won't worry about it anymore. Thanks for the info!

thomasareed

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
Maybe if you run Malwarebytes, it scans for its own installer and cleans up after itself (?)

Nope, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac won't detect or remove the Malwarebytes for Windows installer. I can't explain how it got there, except that it got downloaded accidentally and then moved to the trash without remembering that was done. That could easily be the case if it has been in the trash for a couple months.

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.