Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghughes20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
On the bus today and I would like to return it to the owner. Is there anyway to determine who owns the phone? Obviously, it's locked. It's an older phone, so probably has little to no value, but I'm sure the owner would prefer to have it back rather than get a new one. The model is SE, if that helps.

Anything I can do?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Give it to the bus company's lost and found, or the police department.

Hopefully the owner doesn't use Find My to see it's at your house and reports it as stolen...

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Ask Siri "Who am I?" and see if it gives a name. You can also check the Medical ID by going to Emergency Call and then Medical ID and see if you can call a spouse or parent of the person's phone you have. Make sure the phone doesn't lose battery and die, otherwise it will require a passcode to try Siri again before it works.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Ask Siri "Who am I?" and see if it gives a name. You can also check the Medical ID by going to Emergency Call and then Medical ID and see if you can call a spouse or parent of the person's phone you have. Make sure the phone doesn't lose battery and die, otherwise it will require a passcode to try Siri again before it works.
Excellent advice. If the owner has enabled the Medical ID information and given emergency contact numbers then that will solve the problem.

Makes me wonder how many iPhone users do set this up correctly and take advantage of it. This is a great example of when it would be of great value.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012

I found a phone on my running path two years ago. I did exactly this. The woman who lost it had listed her sister as the emergency contact. I called the sister, who then texted the lady whose phone it was that ‘some guy was claiming that he found her phone and was trying to get it back to her’ which was funny because I had the phone and got the text. The woman was super happy when she contacted me (not surprisingly) and asked how I had found her sister. She didn’t even remember setting up the emergency contact.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I found a phone on my running path two years ago. I did exactly this. The woman who lost it had listed her sister as the emergency contact. I called the sister, who then texted the lady whose phone it was that ‘some guy was claiming that he found her phone and was trying to get it back to her’ which was funny because I had the phone and got the text. The woman was super happy when she contacted me (not surprisingly) and asked how I had found her sister. She didn’t even remember setting up the emergency contact.
I did something similar a year or two ago, but instead of trying emergency contacts I just asked SIRI to call 'Mom'.

Lady had left her entire purse in the shopping cart return at Walmart. ID, credit cards, phone, etc. Her dad and brother showed up to claim all of it.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Hahahaha…. Yeah, give it a shot ? They’ll tell you to take it to the police.
Was this your experience? I found a lost iPhone a few years back - and took it into an Apple store that is walking distance from my home, and they told me that they could easily find and contact the owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.