Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I genuinely wish someone like Steve Jobs were in charge of the software part of the company.

I still miss iPhoto... They just ruined with "Photos", no one can keep photos organized. Same for itunes.

Lack of updates/inovation on may apple apps.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
While we are trolling for reaction, why not return to this?

The simplicity, the durability, the aesthetic. The unlimited battery life. It's the best ancient tablet yet. Our engineers worked so hard. We know you'll love it.

19xp-tablet-superJumbo.png

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Do you honestly think Steve Jobs wouldn't have jumped at the chance to create this...

View attachment 2051656

... if the technology to do so had existed in 1984?

But I think they've pushed that design as far as they can. they need something fresh. What, I don't know, but I loved the screen of a stalk look before the mono-foot iMac, and now, aside from making it skinnier, it's a little old. But what could they do that would be earth shaking... Hmm... Apple: Surprise me...

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
wouldnt it be great if Apple brought out a limited edition ipad powered unit. probably would be better to be the colour classic as it would be more useful. Next year will be the 30th anniversary of the Colour Classic, so bring out 3000 or 30000 limited edition models with a fully useable ipad in a casing with a mechanical keyboard and mouse.
20210224231455-e2a68e55.jpg

pianostar9

macrumors regular
I may as well start a thread saying leopards are purple and have green stripes, and when someone disagrees with me I'll just say my definition of purple and stripes is different to theirs
The real deep thoughts is that I would never know if you’re actually correct and that what you see would really look like purple and stripes to me

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
You do know how much they charged for a monitor stand, oh and wheels, right?

I do like the idea, but the execution could be difficult. Hmm...

A wide opening for a third party to rise above it all and do what Apple should do.
Apple leaves so many holes like this, no one can ever really beat them at their game though. P.S., love the signature, this country lives off stupidity. It's not their fault though. At this point, the billionaires and top 1% have made the system to make the best mindlessly happy factory workers and feed their billions. Smarts threaten the oblivious joy of stupid people

TheDauterive

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
private
I could never have afforded one of these when I was growing up, but when I was 16 I worked in my Uncle's computer store selling these early generation Macs. One day my Commodore 64 came into the store and beat up a Macintosh Plus. Needless to say, it was awkward. 🙄

DavidChoux

Suspended
Jun 7, 2022
Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I would bet that at that time if people had the choice between that and an M2 Air from the future, 100% of them would pick the M2 Air.

For me the nostalgia would wear off quite quickly and I'd be wishing for something much less bulky very quickly.

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
Mevcut Apple tasarımının kötü olduğunu bence çok yanlış. için:

1662539576558.jpeg

1662539715517.jpeg

1662539767801.jpeg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The real deep thoughts is that I would never know if you’re actually correct and that what you see would really look like purple and stripes to me

I remember as a kid, wondering if other kids/people saw the same things I did and called them the same as I did. The one thing that works is a 'common agreement' on what that item is. So we all (generally) agree on what 'purple' looks like. We all more specifically agree in what 'stripes' look like. If people fight that, they seek to subvert that common agreement. *shrug* Calling a spade a spade. A spade isn't a club (cards here)... :cool:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I could never have afforded one of these when I was growing up, but when I was 16 I worked in my Uncle's computer store selling these early generation Macs. One day my Commodore 64 came into the store and beat up a Macintosh Plus. Needless to say, it was awkward. 🙄

I worked at a store that sold Atari and Commodore computers. Whenever we sold an Atari system, we took the time to show the new owner how to format a floppy disk. I sold a 64, and tried to figure out how to format a floppy, and it wasn't nearly as easy to figure it out for some reason. Even the technician that worked there had a hard time finding that incantation. Now, I don't know why it would have been so hard to find, but I remember the perspective buyer being annoyed and frustrated that we/I couldn't tell them. It was a learning point for me: Don't assume that because it was easy on one system, it will be easy and well known on another system. It seemed to me that the 64 was needlessly complicated and not well documented, AT THE TIME. I also could never afford any of them so drooled a lot at the store.

I worked at a computer store, years later, that had the Apple Lisa, and was blown away at how easy everything was. Well, and struck with how expensive it all was, but when the original Mac came out, it actual sold very well. People writing thesis, defenses and research articles were buying the mac and the Imagewriter, and eventually the Laserwriter as fast as we could get them in stock. My wife bought the nearly required Mac setup for her masters thesis.

Those were the days. People came in to the store to buy what they wanted. Rarely did people come in to 'kick the tires'. That changed, obviously.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Wow. Where’s that from ?

I always had this daft idea that when I win the lottery and get a big house every room will have an ancient apple product somewhere just to use as a clock or other simple use. Might be a colour classic on a shelf might be an iPad stuck to the bathroom door.
Yeah it's really cool isn't it!

I found this years and years ago and held on to the image because it was such a neat idea.

And hey, I also support your idea/fantasy. I have been amassing a (small) collection myself. Includes a Mac Classic. Right now, all the machines are sitting on a display shelf in one room... I wish I was better at doing interior design/furniture. :)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Ah, the advantages of CGI renderings over boring reality. No inconvenient gusts of wind to make that top-heavy contraption fall flat on its face, and presumably the CD disappears into the 4th dimension when you put it in the slot. (Pro tip: if you put a fake CD slot on your 'minimalist design' you're doing minimalist design wrong). At least it has a headphone jack!

(OK, I know that rendering was a joke, but it's not far from the 20th Anniversary Macintosh which was real)

Sorry folks, the 1984 Mac's design followed partly from the size and shape of 1984 components (like the smallest practical CRT display at the time, and the relatively chunky full-height floppy drive). If you re-design the classic Mac to take advantage of 2020s technology it's always gonna look pretty much like the current Mac range in "broad strokes" - arguments and feelings over details like notches, bezel colours etc. notwithstanding.

Actually, although the 1984 Mac gets all the love, the most influential Apple design in terms of "form factor" was probably the PowerBook 100/140/170 range. They weren't the first laptops with a hinge-up screen over the keyboard, but the particular combination of full-depth "clamshell/notebook", set-back keyboard and front wrist-rest with centralised pointing device pretty much defined the modern "notebook" computer.

johnnygee

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
I honestly wish tech looked like this still. There is a certain beauty and charm in simplicity to me. All everyone in this forum talks about are bezels, notches …that the screen isnt good enough. That the processor isn’t fast enough when all they do is use it to load Facebook. I think this was made before i was born, but it still looks infinitely better than anything Apple produces today and that’s a fact
View attachment 2051527
Oliver Wendell Jones would agree.🤣

Attachments

• Oliver_Wendell_Jones.jpg
    Oliver_Wendell_Jones.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: velocityg4

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I honestly wish tech looked like this still. There is a certain beauty and charm in simplicity to me. All everyone in this forum talks about are bezels, notches …that the screen isnt good enough. That the processor isn’t fast enough when all they do is use it to load Facebook. I think this was made before i was born, but it still looks infinitely better than anything Apple produces today and that’s a fact
View attachment 2051527

Just admit it. You just want to talk into the mouse and pull a Scotty from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

BL.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Ah, the advantages of CGI renderings over boring reality. No inconvenient gusts of wind to make that top-heavy contraption fall flat on its face, and presumably the CD disappears into the 4th dimension when you put it in the slot. (Pro tip: if you put a fake CD slot on your 'minimalist design' you're doing minimalist design wrong). At least it has a headphone jack!

(OK, I know that rendering was a joke, but it's not far from the 20th Anniversary Macintosh which was real)

Sorry folks, the 1984 Mac's design followed partly from the size and shape of 1984 components (like the smallest practical CRT display at the time, and the relatively chunky full-height floppy drive). If you re-design the classic Mac to take advantage of 2020s technology it's always gonna look pretty much like the current Mac range in "broad strokes" - arguments and feelings over details like notches, bezel colours etc. notwithstanding.

Actually, although the 1984 Mac gets all the love, the most influential Apple design in terms of "form factor" was probably the PowerBook 100/140/170 range. They weren't the first laptops with a hinge-up screen over the keyboard, but the particular combination of full-depth "clamshell/notebook", set-back keyboard and front wrist-rest with centralised pointing device pretty much defined the modern "notebook" computer.
Lol if you read the article for this thing, that's basically just a stylized SD card reader. I agree that the top-heaviness makes it not very practical.

CURVED/labs: Mac to the Future - ein Macintosh-Facelift - CURVED.de

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Just admit it. You just want to talk into the mouse and pull a Scotty from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

BL.
Scotty was from the 23rd Century, so he probably expected some sort of Siri-like voice functionality. That was the joke. Had he been in say 1996 instead of the 80s, he'd at least be able to talk to a Packard Bell Legend PC that had a mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.