Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
My BR Quad and my GER Quad both run and work flawlessly with a Quadro FX4500 perfectly. And with all sorts of other graphics cards, flashed and stock (X1900 XT, multiple X1950 XTs, GeForce 7800 GTX 512 etc.).

If Tiger runs graphically-intensive software with perfection, thus probably excluding the possibility of it being a hardware problem, the first thing I question is your Leopard install. Where is the install DVD sourced from? Is your 2TB disk an HDD or an SSD? (I have had data corruption issues with the former, never had any with the latter.)

Leopard is good stuff. Might want to keep looking into why it isn't working, until it's working. I would also try investigating with only 2 RAM sticks installed, if all else fails.
My Leopard DVD is from Apple. My G5Quad has a 1 GB SATA and a 2 GB SATA, (one Western Digital Black and the other a Seagate), both standard HDD.

I have a total of 16GB RAM, I tried it with 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB.

I also ran the Apple Hardware Test and it reported no errors.

After 10 total tries, it is why I gave up.

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
The FSF does not endorse any BSD flavor (scroll down to "BSD systems"), nor is any of them libre. I specifically addressed FSF-endorsed and libre OSes in what you quoted.
Aha! Indeed I missed that. You are correct, the FSF does not endorse any BSD despite being the most permissive of them all (not restricting anyone to use the code, even for proprietary projects).

Reactions: Amethyst1

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Aha! Indeed I missed that. You are correct, the FSF does not endorse any BSD despite being the most permissive of them all (not restricting anyone to use the code, even for proprietary projects).
Yes, much like MINIX, whose BSD license allows it to be used at the expense of most Intel computer owners in the world by introducing a non-deactivatable hardware-level backdoor that runs even when the computer is shut off.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yes, much like MINIX, whose BSD license allows it to be used at the expense of most Intel computer owners in the world by introducing a non-deactivatable hardware-level backdoor that runs even when the computer is shut off.
What?!?!?! I thought that backdoor runs on DOS so I can play Prince of Persia on it! Rats!!!

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
UPDATE: Well come to discover it was a simple fix. I was trying to run it at a resolution too high for the card: 3440x1440, and the FX4500 max is apparently 2560X1600. So running it at 1920x1080 @60Hz and video is fine.

Stupid me forgot the first step in video resolution. To think I have been running Mac since the Mac Plus was new.....must be just overworked.........

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I was trying to run it at a resolution too high for the card: 3440x1440,
What refresh rate were you getting at that rez? 30 Hz? As for that supposed maximum - that only applies if you want 60 Hz, and I've run 3840x2160 at 30 Hz from GPUs less powerful than a FX4500.

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
What refresh rate were you getting at that rez? 30 Hz? As for that supposed maximum - that only applies if you want 60 Hz, and I've run 3840x2160 at 30 Hz from GPUs less powerful than a FX4500.
30 Hz PAL at that resolution, 2560x1600 gives me 60Hz NTSC But it was not a resolution issue like I noted at the start--it was instead graphical issues.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I disagree with this whole thread pretty much.

I have never experienced any of what is described in the OP and I run Leopard on literally everything that has a G4 in it. From my Pismo to my B&W, one of these days I’ll work on getting my Beige running it.

The only graphics chip that gives me problems in Leopard is the Geforce4 mx. It has a slight dock graphics glitch if you use stacks as expandable folders instead of “stacks”. This only occurs on the Geforce4 mx, replicated on my iMac G4 and 12” PowerBook 867. This anomaly does not occur even in the Rage 128 the Pismo has.

Tiger has more annoying glitches than Leopard does in my experience. Files and folders in Finder only highlighting partially, to name the biggest annoyance.

Both operating systems have their place and their pros and cons. Leopard checks all the boxes and more for me and does so beautifully.

It actually sounds like OP could have a dying GPU or slot. I have seen a GPU exhibit problems in one OS but not another, or in one application or game but not another. Then later the card dies (or the slot which has appeared to have died in my dual 2GHz G5).

Edit: I did not see the resolution, I posted this after only reading the first page.
But I feel my response is still valid for the most part.
OP, glad you solved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.