Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
iPhone 14 pro as the title says, and yesterday I replaced the battery. I checked Monday the latest log files and I was at about 280~ battery cycles, 88% battery life. If I had to say a major contributor to the decreased capacity, I’d argue the couple of months of iOS 17 Beta 1-4 burnt my phone up heat-wise quite a bit. The current version is much more efficient.

My phone’s battery life is noticeably better already. Yes, it really was 105$ total. If you aren’t upgrading I absolutely recommend just getting a battery replacement, it’ll breathe new life into the phone you have!

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 984
Reactions: Fozamo

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
iPhone 14 pro as the title says, and yesterday I replaced the battery. I checked Monday the latest log files and I was at about 280~ battery cycles, 88% battery life. If I had to say a major contributor to the decreased capacity, I’d argue the couple of months of iOS 17 Beta 1-4 burnt my phone up heat-wise quite a bit. The current version is much more efficient.

My phone’s battery life is noticeably better already. Yes, it really was 105$ total. If you aren’t upgrading I absolutely recommend just getting a battery replacement, it’ll breathe new life into the phone you have!
Did Apple do the replacement or did you take it to a 3rd party shop? I’ve heard some people have had issues with Apple refusing to replace the battery if it wasn’t below 80%.

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Did Apple do the replacement or did you take it to a 3rd party shop? I’ve heard some people have had issues with Apple refusing to replace the battery if it wasn’t below 80%.
I took it to an official Apple store. They didn’t give me any issues at all. Honestly, I had that worry as well but came away pleasantly surprised.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I’ve heard some people have had issues with Apple refusing to replace the battery if it wasn’t below 80%.
That's for devices that are replaced in their entirety, Apple Watches and iPads and probably some worse designed iPhones. With the iPhone 14 series it seems they can switch out the battery and hand you back the same unit so the below 80% restriction should not apply here.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
My wife has 14pm with shot battery. If i go replacing it, then i am left only $280 away if decided to trade it in instead towards 15PM.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
This happened to me running betas on a 12 Pro Max. It was only the battery capacity that got messed up by the beta program. Took half a year before the battery health began to drop again because Apple never increases battery capacity.

This is not to say the batteries are not crap. They cheapened the manufacturing process for this year - go figure…

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I had 163 charge cycle and it still at 100%. Its weird that people pay $999 for a product and have to replace the battery.
14 Pro Max user/owner

Based on my experience with iPhone 7 Plus, the battery capacity on Wikipedia is 2900mAh however looking at the diagnostics log shows that the battery is 3000+ mAh which is the reason that battery health shows up 100% for a considerable amount of time...

This is just my experience but I am thinking that Apple may have done the same with the other iPhones... I just can't seem to remember when and on what forum thread I have posted about that diagnostic log from iPhone privacy....

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
Does anyone know if when you go for a replacement they don’t remove or damage your screen protector? I will probably opt for a battery replacement sometime next year but I worry about having my screen protector damaged or removed.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Does anyone know if when you go for a replacement they don’t remove or damage your screen protector? I will probably opt for a battery replacement sometime next year but I worry about having my screen protector damaged or removed.

it’s will be and they don’t remove it.

I thought I got away with it a few weeks ago - but if you looked at an angle two minor cracks appeared.

Just accept it’s going to also be replaced.

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
it’s will be and they don’t remove it.

I thought I got away with it a few weeks ago - but if you looked at an angle two minor cracks appeared.

Just accept it’s going to also be replaced.
Could you potentially just buy another fresh one and have them install it at the same time? Might just do that. I still have 93% battery healthy but it’s dropped from 97% from a few weeks ago… so I anticipate I’ll have to do it next year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.