Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boco1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2019
As the title, I got it for free. I am cleaning up the classroom since it is the end of the school year and I see a Power MAC G5 sitting in the corner. My teacher let me get it home for free. It was the dual 1.8 version. It got everything, but when I press on the start button, it kind of start up for a sec (light and fan are on) and then it just turn back off. I am not sure if it is the hardware problem ,power cord problem (I don’t have the original one) or something else. Anyone have any idea ?

Boco1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2019
It was like a pop and then it just shut right off. Without any flash on the led.

It was like a pop and then it just shut right off. Without any flash on the led.

My gut is leaning toward the power supply being faulty.

Have you opened it yet and given a quick look around inside, making sure there aren't signs of corrosion or liquid damage? Bear in mind a faulty power supply, which may or may not be what’s happening here, isn’t something you’ll probably notice by simply opening and looking around inside.

Still, it’s worth a look inside, and it’s fortunately that’s pretty easy to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.