Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I got a used one. Compared to my iPhone 6 it overheats. It has 72% battery health. Could that have something to do with it? If I replaced the battery would it not overheat as much?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The battery needs replacing, apple recommends that you replace the battery once it reaches 80% battery health.?

I wouldn’t waste my money on a new battery, the 6s won’t be getting iOS 16.

Might be better off putting that money towards a new phone.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I got a used one. Compared to my iPhone 6 it overheats. It has 72% battery health. Could that have something to do with it? If I replaced the battery would it not overheat as much?
In battery health terms 72% is pretty bad (battery health is not linear so "72%" doesn't really line up with what you'd expect from 72% of original capacity) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what's causing your overheating issue.

By the way, could you explain what you mean by "overheating" ? Is the phone throttling (slowing down)? Or is it displaying a message sayings its overheating and not letting you use the phone until it cools down? If it's the former I'd say that's definetly the battery. If it's the later however it could be a lot of (other) things as well.
(Also under what circumstances does the "overheating" occur?)

Frankly, it's impossible to know without more info on the phone itself. Honestly, as the poster above (who must've hit send one second before I did) notes, I can't really recommend a full price battery replacement on an iPhone 6s at this time (although whether it will get iOS 16 is anyone's guess)

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
If I tried to resell it what would be a fair price to resell it on eBay? It's a 64 GB iPhone 6s.

By overheating I meant that it feels very hot to the touch compared to 6s in normal activities like using Firefox or Youtube.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
If I tried to resell it what would be a fair price to resell it on eBay? It's a 64 GB iPhone 6s.

By overheating I meant that it feels very hot to the touch compared to 6s in normal activities like using Firefox or Youtube.

ebay ? yuck this would be a better site to sell it on

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
My 6S sometimes got hot to the touch when battery life got to 79% so I changed it. I think if you fish around u can find decent pricing for replacements ...mine cost around 40 dollars. Just need to be careful if u go ahead with the replacement you choose a trustworthy shop to do it at. I took a calculated risk replacing the battery but got a new lease of life at least for maybe 12 months.

The issue however will be the iOS. Finally I upgraded to iOS15.4 today from 14.8.1. and thank god it is not experiencing any major battery drains (at least compared to 14.8.1). The heavier the functionality of the OS the more strain it puts on older hardware.

I think though that this is the end of the road. Sooner or later due to age the machine will pack in ...parts age.....
you can't cheat age simple as that LOL!!!

I am going to upgrade this year once the iPhone Max comes out and keep my loyal 6S for audio usage.

You cannot use that 6S the way it is at 72% so I wish you well and fun times with your 6S if you decide to replace the battery.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
If you take it to the Apple store would they do a battery replacement on the same day?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
If you take it to the Apple store would they do a battery replacement on the same day?
Battery cooked. This is last year for 6S support. Sent mine in for 2nd battery replacement last year to save as emergency spare. Unsuccessful, so they sent me a new or refurbished one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andeddu

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
"overheating" is somewhat expected on the 6s since it only has performance cores. Even my 7+ tends to overheat because the phone can only use either the performance cores or the efficiency cores. The A bionic chips (starting with the A11) fares better as the chip can utilize any of the cores in combination as needed instead of having a choice of only either performance or efficiency cores.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
Depends on backorder requests. Go first thing in the morning if you decide to replace your battery at the Apple Store. Should be OK same day. My first replacement was done within 4 hours but I guess each store maybe different. Take note it might cost you a bit more to do than going via a third party shop.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
My 6s overheats, I could fry an egg on it if it was big enough. Also get aprox 2 minutes of use before the battery goes from 100% to 0%

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
My 6s overheats, I could fry an egg on it if it was big enough. Also get aprox 2 minutes of use before the battery goes from 100% to 0%

I brought my 6S out, charged it up to 100%, and was able to deplete the battery by watching Netflix on WiFi in just over an hour. Thinking about getting a new battery installed now.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
If your finances are tight ...would be a good idea to change the battery to hold you over another year and a bit. Unfortunately as said before the newer the iOS the greater the functionality, the greater the stress on the limited cores of the A9 processor in the 6S which leads ultimately to overheating where previous iOS systems were not overheating to that degree.

Sooner or later you will need to upgrade (maybe like Andeddu's post above) to a newer modal but not necessarily the latest one so you can have a phone that can handle greater functionality with more cores so less heat (but still some!!).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What’s the battery health? If it’s less than 80%, it’s expected to have such weird results. Time to either change the battery or upgrade. Also, I believe the 6s had a recall program about its battery. Not sure if it’s still ongoing though.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
What’s the battery health? If it’s less than 80%, it’s expected to have such weird results. Time to either change the battery or upgrade. Also, I believe the 6s had a recall program about its battery. Not sure if it’s still ongoing though.

Recall program was a while back end of 2018 if I recall correctly. Tim less generous now LOL!! Yeah 80% or below things start to get unstable.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Yeah unless you're truly strapped for budget, I'm also gonna echo some other posters here.

In terms of value for money, you're gonna get more utility from spending on a new phone (or even a newer used phone) than paying for a battery replacement for your 6S.

Even if your battery is back to 100%, your user experience will decline gradually since Apple and a vast majority of developers will soon start phasing out the 6 line-up from receiving regular updates. At some point, relatively soon, you're going to have to get a newer device anyway, so not paying for a battery replacement right now might actually result in less money spent in the long run.

Reactions: ian87w and LFC2020

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
What is the iOS version? If 14.x or 15.x you may need to buy a new phone.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
The battery needs changing.
I don't know where you are but the battery costs around €‘49 to be changed so probably the same in $.
I got €40 trade in on my 6S+ with Apple so I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Incidentally, I've bought a couple of things off BackMarket and they've been sound. They also buy but I haven't sold to them.
Items as described and the second one had a problem which they refunded without fuss. (Took about a week to get the money back)
They are in a lot of countries- you just have to scroll to the bottom to change site. This is the American site

Reactions: deeddawg

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Would many apps start not working for 6s this fall right away?

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
What is the iOS version? If 14.x or 15.x you may need to buy a new phone.
No. If you use the 6s for making calls (I know, it's rare nowadays), send emails or texting, some browsing, watching movies, it's still a 100% workable phone. If you want to edit videos or use iOS 16-17-18-19-20 to be out up to 2030, then forget about it. And stay on iOS 14.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Would many apps start not working for 6s this fall right away?
App developers tend to not just drop support off right away. Eg. TikTok and WhatsApp support minimum iOS 10. So I’m sure a 6s sporting iOS 14/15 will still be able to run most apps for years to come.

Some apps like games might have higher system requirements though. Many games already have minimum requirements of 2GB of RAM (which is what the 6s has).

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
App developers tend to not just drop support off right away. Eg. TikTok and WhatsApp support minimum iOS 10. So I’m sure a 6s sporting iOS 14/15 will still be able to run most apps for years to come.

Some apps like games might have higher system requirements though. Many games already have minimum requirements of 2GB of RAM (which is what the 6s has).
What about something like Robinhood or Gemini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.