Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Well about 5 weeks ago i ordered a new computer and the Canon MP760 printer. I had ben very happy witht the service...until now. I just recieved an e-mail saying that my printer that i had ordered is NOT going to be delivered. While i know i can order a different one that is not the point.

I am calling apple right now and i am going to try to get that printer put back on my order.

Wish me luck!!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Wait, hang on. Was this supposed to be a FREE printer? If yes, then I can see how you'd be upset... otherwise, it's possible they just ran out of them and can't get anymore within a reasonable timeframe. In that case, you can hardly say that you were gypped; if they're only charging you for what can be delivered to you, that's correct behavior.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
It was originally 250 and it was one that was up for the 100 dollar rebate. When i ordered it the website said that it was on back order adn that it would probably take 6 weeks to get here, which did not bother me seeing as i did not need it right away.

I just called them and they said it was discontinued and that they no longer carried it. Meaning that i ordered a printer 5 weeks ago that in the end would never get here. I am peeved because when i ordered the printer it was not discontinued. And while there are some other printers availible they are not the ones that i want!! I want the one i ordered 5 weeks ago.

Apple should at least honor the orders that were mad for that printer before it was discontinued!!

Omega3

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2005
Since Apple doesn't manufacture, or control the manufacturing of Canon printers,, it's unreasonable to expect Apple to honor their offer of that Canon printer, which Canon does not make anymore, and Canon discontinued,,
don't you think?

How do you expect Apple to get something that is no longer made? I dealt with manufacturers for a number of years,, they normally don't tell you something is discontinued until well after the last production date,,, don't as me why,, but that's my experience,, our retail store has been left high and dry by some manufacturers,, quite often leaving US to fulfil the 'special' as best as we can to keep the customer satisfied.

I would say, if Apple is willing to offer a similar deal on another comparable printer,, that's the most that can be expected of them.. and you should probably take the deal..

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
prostuff1 said:
It was originally 250 and it was one that was up for the 100 dollar rebate. When i ordered it the website said that it was on back order adn that it would probably take 6 weeks to get here, which did not bother me seeing as i did not need it right away.

I just called them and they said it was discontinued and that they no longer carried it. Meaning that i ordered a printer 5 weeks ago that in the end would never get here. I am peeved because when i ordered the printer it was not discontinued. And while there are some other printers availible they are not the ones that i want!! I want the one i ordered 5 weeks ago.

Apple should at least honor the orders that were mad for that printer before it was discontinued!!
Seems to me that the reason the printer was originally on backorder was that it HAD been discontinued (by the manufacturer), but Apple didn't know that yet... all they knew was that they were out of stock and that the product was backordered for that reason. As soon as they found out that no more printers would be available, they e-mailed everyone who had the printer on backorder and let them (and you) know that it would not be available.

Tough break, but you can't expect Apple to conjure a printer for you out of thin air. Perhaps they will give you a comparable rebate on a similar printer, but they're under no obligation to.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
No, i can still get the printer from canons website no problem. So it is apple who has discontinued...they just stopped carrying it.

I can get it just fine through canon, amazon, newegg, and some other sites but then i would not get the rebate!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.