Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
In a few threads I mentioned I had a hunch that Apple was going to silently update the MBA to M3 before a March event (and that the March event would be iPad centric as the M3 MBA are just a simple spec bump. I kinda had earmarked tomorrow 2/27 as that day. But with the lack of any of rumors/hints by the typical insiders it doesn't look like that is happening.

BTW - I'm posting this so hopefully I'm end up being wrong about being wrong so I'll end up being right. yeah

• Haha
Reactions: Sunset Cassette

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I hope you're wrong too. I'm really looking forward to the M3 MBA. As I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed, I'm not expecting it to be announced until a late March event.

Bel Marduk

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
Hey, it's alright. Nobody can perfectly predict these things. Remember when German and Kuo both predicted no new Macs in 2023 and then an October event and the MacBook Pro was announced.... and they get paid to make these predictions!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
This update will have been the longest between models in nine years, so I really hope Apple has more in line other than a minor update. Double the base RAM or SSD would be nice. But of course, Tim “every dime counts“ Cook..

galliofly

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2021
I'm starting to doubt there will be an M3 Air before a redesign in 2025 after reading this summary

"How does the M3 MacBook Pro's temperature compare to the M2? — The M3 MacBook Pro runs hotter than the M2, with the fans spinning up earlier and reaching temperatures of 108°, leading to thermal throttling."

And that's in the base MacBook Pro with a larger chassis and a single fan the M2 MacBook Air throttles already so m3 would be worse.I still believe the m3 will be in the next iPad because IPadOS is much lighter than macOS so doesn't have the same thermal constraints.

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'm starting to doubt there will be an M3 Air before a redesign in 2025 after reading this summary

"How does the M3 MacBook Pro's temperature compare to the M2? — The M3 MacBook Pro runs hotter than the M2, with the fans spinning up earlier and reaching temperatures of 108°, leading to thermal throttling."

And that's in the base MacBook Pro with a larger chassis and a single fan the M2 MacBook Air throttles already so m3 would be worse.I still believe the m3 will be in the next iPad because IPadOS is much lighter than macOS so doesn't have the same thermal constraints.
Looks like you were wrong. M3 Air is here and it's 2024.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Ha! I was mostly right! :)

Also super excited they added a "standard" 16/512 option. Hopefully retailers (that discount) will be able to carry those configurations.
Yeah I was happy to see a 16/512GB model added as "standard" option even if it is the most expensive basic option. I grabbed that exact one. 16/512GB is exactly what I wanted. Now I think about it I could've waited for a discount but too late now!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.