Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 16.02.48.png

Version 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2)

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
No context here but keep in mind that many developers choose to target only Chrome/Chromium-based browsers and consider anything else out of date. This is (usually) nothing on Safari but all on the developers/their corporate masters.

Sometimes the feature is not available in other browsers, granted, but generally they just don't bother testing / don't bother coding features slightly differently for each engine, and sometimes are just actively hostile in this way, even though it might very well work.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
No context here but keep in mind that many developers choose to target only Chrome/Chromium-based browsers and consider anything else out of date. This is (usually) nothing on Safari but all on the developers/their corporate masters.

Sometimes the feature is not available in other browsers, granted, but generally they just don't bother testing / don't bother coding features slightly differently for each engine, and sometimes are just actively hostile in this way, even though it might very well work.
This here is exactly why I fear Apple being forced via regulation to open up iOS to other browser engines. At the moment there's the market pressure of "you need to at least support Safari if you want the iOS market", but if Chrome were available on iOS then I'm sure a lot of lazy developers would be happy to repeat history and have a single usable browser (except this time it'd be Chrome instead of Internet Explorer).

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
This here is exactly why I fear Apple being forced via regulation to open up iOS to other browser engines. At the moment there's the market pressure of "you need to at least support Safari if you want the iOS market", but if Chrome were available on iOS then I'm sure a lot of lazy developers would be happy to repeat history and have a single usable browser (except this time it'd be Chrome instead of Internet Explorer).
Google's wet dream: a full-on browser monopoly, all wrapped up neatly for them with a bow.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Basic75 and Nermal

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
That screenshot is from Facebook Messenger (web) by the way. Whether you like it or not, it has a pretty sizable user base and it's just not a good look for Apple, if you ask me

I should say that I use it in Private mode, so MAYBE the blocking of cookies might have something to do with it

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
That screenshot is from Facebook Messenger (web) by the way. Whether you like it or not, it has a pretty sizable user base and it's just not a good look for Apple, if you ask me

I should say that I use it in Private mode, so MAYBE the blocking of cookies might have something to do with it

I don't get any such warning with FB Messenger here, and never have. I'm currently using Safari 16.6 on Ventura.

EDIT: I just tried Private mode for laughs and your suspicion is correct. That mode does prompt the warning for me.

Reactions: hoodafoo

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Enable the Develop menu in Safari (Safari - Settings – Advanced - Develop menu), from the menu select User Agent and change it to Google Chrome macOS. Facebook messenger should work, proving that Facebook is intentionally blocking Safari.
(Change settings in Safari on Mac https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/ibrwcd8bc28e/mac)
OMG this is comical, changing the user agent to Chrome DOES make the warning magically disappear!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The elusive Messenger encryption

Expanding Testing for End-to-end Encryption on Messenger
https://messengernews.fb.com/2023/08/22/expanding-testing-for-end-to-end-encryption-on-messenger/
"We remain on track to launch default E2EE for one-to-one friends and family chats on Messenger by the end of the year. "

"The Verge - Meta refreshes promise to roll out default end-to-end encryption in Messenger this year"
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/22/23841490/meta-facebook-messenger-instagram-encryption-default
"Meta plans to roll out default end-to-end encryption for its Messenger product by the end of this year, the company confirmed in a blog post Tuesday."

"Engadget - Messenger's encrypted chats expand to more users ahead of full rollout later this year"
https://www.engadget.com/messengers...f-full-rollout-later-this-year-085324605.html

Reactions: hoodafoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.