Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I had a student gift card from my MacBook Air purchase which I planned on using when ordering my iPhone 15 pro Max yesterday, only to find out I only had like 15 bucks left of it’s original value. So basically, my yearly subscription to Disney+ and Pokémon Go purchases got paid with the gift card without my consent :(

Last edited:

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Unfortunately it’ll be there in the terms and conditions that you probably never read that they’ll use gift card balances and they don’t need your consent.

Sorry for your loss.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
PLEASE file feedback about this. I did because I don't like this either. I was confused why my gift balance was smaller than I expected and it was my monthly Applecare payments.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I did years ago when the same happened to me and the feedback was if you have a gift balance they’ll automatically take that instead of any card payment that’s set up.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I had a student gift card from my MacBook Air purchase which I planned on using when ordering my iPhone 15 pro Max yesterday, only to find out I only had like 15 bucks left of it’s original value. So basically, it my yearly subscription to Disney+ and Pokémon Go purchases got paid with the gift card without my consent :(

It's a result of Apple combining the iTunes gift cards and the old Apple Store cards... I'm curious though about what you did with the card... did you add it to your Apple account or just put the card away for future use?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It’s in the terms. If you add it to your account, it will be used for App Store purchases and subs. In the future, don’t add gift cards to your account until you are going to make the hardware purchase you want.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I did years ago when the same happened to me and the feedback was if you have a gift balance they’ll automatically take that instead of any card payment that’s set up.
Hopefully enough people will complain and they'll give us an option with how gift funds are used.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Sorry but I don’t get it. While it’s annoying. You technically have to pay for your other services anyways. So since the services are paid by the gift card you should have the same amount of money in your bank account to pay for the pro max? Am I missing something?

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Sorry but I don’t get it. While it’s annoying. You technically have to pay for your other services anyways. So since the services are paid by the gift card you should have the same amount of money in your bank account to pay for the pro max? Am I missing something?
It’s just principles

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
I was thinking about the same. First, the amount of money that drifted away is still the same, just at a different time. Next, I’m wondering that the OP never saw that no money were taken from other accounts.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Right. It's not how I want to pay. Would them picking a random credit card on my account be ok?
It's standard procedure from them, they look for the safest method of payment and since you have credit already via gift card they will deduct it first before touching your credit card or form of payment. It's always been this way, don't use it unless you really need it.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Why haven’t I been able to use the gift card balance to pay down my outstanding Apple Card balance? Seems to only be used for Apple charges from new Apple purchases.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why haven’t I been able to use the gift card balance to pay down my outstanding Apple Card balance? Seems to only be used for Apple charges from new Apple purchases.
Pretty much SOP. I am not aware of any merchant who will let you pay down your credit card balance with a gift card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.