Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I bought a Mac Studio and recently updated to Ventura and yesterday, one of my programs, Active Trader Pro stopped working. So I went to reinstall it but it won't install. I suspect that it's an issue with the .NET installations as I've seen this happen before with new macOS operating systems. I upgraded my M1 mini and M1 Pro MacBook Pro so I can run it on those systems but I'm selling my M1 mini.

I pulled out my Windows desktop and set it up with a monitor and am running Active Trader Pro on it and will continue to do so until this compatibility issue is resolved. I'm not 100% sure that it's Ventura but I can't afford to test it out with another system.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I pulled out my Windows desktop and set it up with a monitor and am running Active Trader Pro o
Windows - it just works :p

Sorry about your frustration.

Speaking of frustrating, I had a hell of a time trying to get my wireless printer to work with my desktop (windows 11). I finally did but between windows 11 and HP it was a nightmare - so I kind of feel your pain.

btw, I'm not talking about a new printer, one that was working previously but suddenly decided to stop working

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Speaking of frustrating, I had a hell of a time trying to get my wireless printer to work with my desktop (windows 11). I finally did but between windows 11 and HP it was a nightmare - so I kind of feel your pain.

btw, I'm not talking about a new printer, one that was working previously but suddenly decided to stop working
Ug, gotta love HP drivers -- NOT! They make great printers, drivers, not so much...

Reactions: Cape Dave

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

That's why I haven't upgraded to Windows 11 on the desktop yet.

BTW, the problem isn't necessarily only on Apple Silicon Macs - I had these problems on Intel Macs in the past too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's why I haven't upgraded to Windows 11 on the desktop yet.
I don't know if is a windows 11 thing or just windows but printer drivers can be a pain.

Another weird situation. I was playing Outer Worlds, doing nothing special - my kids called after me, I quit the game, did my dad duties, and came back. The game would not start, it just hung. WTF I spent hours trying to figure out why something that was working fine 30 minutes previously is now hanging. Validating the local files, clearing the ini files, rebooting. Not even reinstalling the game fixed this.

I finally I used DDU, uninstalled my video drivers and reinstalled them without Geforce Experience.

So yeah - windows just works :oops:

• Wow

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I don't know if is a windows 11 thing or just windows but printer drivers can be a pain.

Another weird situation. I was playing Outer Worlds, doing nothing special - my kids called after me, I quit the game, did my dad duties, and came back. The game would not start, it just hung. WTF I spent hours trying to figure out why something that was working fine 30 minutes previously is now hanging. Validating the local files, clearing the ini files, rebooting. Not even reinstalling the game fixed this.

I finally I used DDU, uninstalled my video drivers and reinstalled them without Geforce Experience.

I have Windows 11 ARM and I actually prefer Windows 10. Windows 11 is prettier in UI terms but I'm just more used to W10. I just found that my Windows VM is hosed so I need to create one of these. I am wondering if there is something like UTM for Windows. I'm currently using VMware but I'm not that attached to it.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I have Windows 11 ARM and I actually prefer Windows 10. Windows 11 is prettier in UI terms but I'm just more used to W10. I just found that my Windows VM is hosed so I need to create one of these. I am wondering if there is something like UTM for Windows. I'm currently using VMware but I'm not that attached to it.
Windows 10 or 11 Pro have Hyper-V, you just have to install it via Windows Features. VirtualBox also works pretty well on Windows. I mostly use Hyper-V, but occasionally VMWare for something weird...

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

HP drivers I find a complete pain its like a new installation every time we go to print docs for flying

I now do it from my phone as it works with no hassle

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
VirtualBox is too slow so I'm going back to VMware.

VMWare has a bug on install with the default configuration and the free version doesn't have a fix for it. So the fix is to edit a configuration file with emacs. It's described in https://debug.to/5520/efi-network-timeout-issue

I was happy with VMware performance in the past. I just didn't recall how to fix the installation issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
VirtualBox is too slow so I'm going back to VMware.
For open source/free its not a bad option, but it is certainly lacking in performance and features compared to Vmware (and on the Mac Parallels).

I work with Oracle products and I can tell you that I hate dealing with their installers and applications. I don't know one single product that is particuarly fast and/or not bloated. Take Weblogic (a web server ). The code tree on windows is such that it directory tree is so long that windows cannot manage it. What I mean by that is, try to delete it, and you can't. the cmd shell and windows file explorer cannot because it exceeds the maximum. Yet Oracle tells you to back up the code tree before applying a patch - how can I when simply backup methods cannot traverse the entire code tree??

When VirtualBox was more free, and managed by independent folks, it was better, since oracle took it over, not so much

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
For open source/free its not a bad option, but it is certainly lacking in performance and features compared to Vmware (and on the Mac Parallels).

I work with Oracle products and I can tell you that I hate dealing with their installers and applications. I don't know one single product that is particuarly fast and/or not bloated. Take Weblogic (a web server ). The code tree on windows is such that it directory tree is so long that windows cannot manage it. What I mean by that is, try to delete it, and you can't. the cmd shell and windows file explorer cannot because it exceeds the maximum. Yet Oracle tells you to back up the code tree before applying a patch - how can I when simply backup methods cannot traverse the entire code tree??

When VirtualBox was more free, and managed by independent folks, it was better, since oracle took it over, not so much

I worked at Oracle from 1994 to 2020 so I'm intimately familiar with their products from an engineering perspective. I'm well familiar with the Sun Microsystems buyout and what happened to their miscellaneous software pieces. We really wanted to monetize everything and that was fundamentally at odds with many of those projects.

What did I want to do if I really wanted to get rid of something? Reformat, reinstall the operating system and the applications.

Reactions: I7guy and maflynn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm up and running VMware and performance is a lot better than VirtualBox. At least for the program that I run on it. I'm not sure why it was so bad on VirtualBox and I recall VirtualBox performing better around five years ago. Graphics drivers and audio have always been better on VMware. VMware is just harder to set up if you use the free version.

At any rate, I have a usable solution for a Windows VM now.

One thing that I'd love is something like UTM for Windows. UTM is a rather decent interface for QEMU.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

How do you like the game? I bought it cheap, but haven’t started it yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do you like the game? I bought it cheap, but haven’t started it yet.
Its really a fun game. There are two DLCs, Peril on Gorgon and murder on eridanos. I didn't care much for the latter but Peril on Gorgon was a lot of fun, it fit in nicely with the lore.

Overall its a nice game, not the longest but a fun one

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Its really a fun game. There are two DLCs, Peril on Gorgon and murder on eridanos. I didn't care much for the latter but Peril on Gorgon was a lot of fun, it fit in nicely with the lore.

Overall its a nice game, not the longest but a fun one
Awesome, I can’t wait to start it…

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
thing i can fix my PC thru new egg or amazon. if a mac breaks I have pay Apple's stupid pricing. macOS is annoying for little programes

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
thing i can fix my PC thru new egg or amazon. if a mac breaks I have pay Apple's stupid pricing. macOS is annoying for little programes

This is absolutely true.

Though I have not had any problems with Macs outside of a bunch of logic board replacements which were covered under warranty and recalls. I have only lost one Mac to an expanding battery but that Mac was ten years old. My 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros are still going strong. Apple Silicon MacBook Pros give you so much more than Windows laptops right now but you better take care of them.

It's pretty easy to run macOS on PC hardware these days but that will come to an end someday. Fortunately it's probably at least five years out.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
This is absolutely true.

Though I have not had any problems with Macs outside of a bunch of logic board replacements which were covered under warranty and recalls. I have only lost one Mac to an expanding battery but that Mac was ten years old. My 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros are still going strong. Apple Silicon MacBook Pros give you so much more than Windows laptops right now but you better take care of them.

It's pretty easy to run macOS on PC hardware these days but that will come to an end someday. Fortunately it's probably at least five years out.
While I agree, an M1 MBA (like I have) has exactly zero moving parts. Not one. There is no fan, no ways for dust to enter the computer, etc., My PC tower, on the other hand, needs the dust removed routinely. Thank goodness I can replace parts on that thing, because I will need to. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People are convinced that the next version of macOS is going to be ARM only. I can't say if that's true or not, but the end date is sooner then later.

As for people running macOS on PC hardware, I think that is largely a niche segment. Most people are not willing to do that, for a variety of reasons.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
People are convinced that the next version of macOS is going to be ARM only. I can't say if that's true or not, but the end date is sooner then later.

As for people running macOS on PC hardware, I think that is largely a niche segment. Most people are not willing to do that, for a variety of reasons.

Apple is still selling the Mac Pro and they appear to still be making the 27 inch iMac as they sell quite well at Costco. If the Studio + Studio Display were the replacement, I'd expect Costco to carry those.

Running macOS on PC hardware is challenging for most. You either need to be a developer or a teenager or really, really good at following directions. I don't strictly need to do it as I could just buy more Apple hardware but I have fun doing it and the results can be useful.

Reactions: maflynn

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

I agree, it's just around the corner. We all know what Apple is like right? There is no incentive for them to keep macOS on par with Intel and ARM devices.

Bring out an ARM-only version, it will have new features they are "unable to offer intel users" but, all you need to do is upgrade to a new device! Otherwise, keep your intel device and just get less from it due to software restrictions.

Nobody quote me the "back when PPC transitioned to intel". Apple is a very different company today.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Bring out an ARM-only version, it will have new features they are "unable to offer intel users" but, all you need to do is upgrade to a new device! Otherwise, keep your intel device and just get less from it due to software restrictions.

I believe that there are already features that are AS only.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nobody quote me the "back when PPC transitioned to intel". Apple is a very different company today.
LOL,
While the windows was aggressively short for the PPC->Intel transition, I think Apple knew that it had to tear the bandaid off sooner then later. If developers were going to drag their feet (and many were), then they were going to get left behind. While Apple is different today, I think the situation isn't all that different and a swift move to ARM is best for Apple in the long run.

Reactions: LeeW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.