Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
This is the second time I've turned on the Apple TV only to have it start immediately updating because the message pops up as soon as I turned it on.

The first time was with the old Siri Remote, which I accidentally brushed the wrong way and it started updating

Today it's happening because the newer remote felt like it should jump back up an option and click after I had already scrolled all the way down.

But enough about the stupid remote design: the real question is WHY ask me to update when I turn on the TV? Does Apple know why I turn on the TV? It's because I have some time and I want to watch something. It's never because I want to wait 10-15 for an update. Do you know what would be a better option? Asking me when I put it to sleep? Or having the options be "Update tonight" and not "Update now"? Literally anything is better than asking me to update a device when I want to actually use the device!

And for those of you who say you should have automatic updates turned on: I don't trust Apple's updates. Every update breaks something on macOS or iOS nowadays, and when I updated to tvOS 15 or 16, can't remember which exactly, it broke subtitles for me. As someone who needs subtitles to watch shows, I really don't enjoy it when the subtitles stop showing up.

Oh well, maybe tvOS will finally let me turn on my dumb TV with just my Apple TV remote (nope), or maybe it will keep me signed in to my TV provider (it probably won't). Looks like it finished updating, and now all the colors are blown out. Guess it's time to see if the color calibration will work today. I remember when it didn't work for me the first few years that feature was available.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
the real question is WHY ask me to update when I turn on the TV? Does Apple know why I turn on the TV? It's because I have some time and I want to watch something. It's never because I want to wait 10-15 for an update. Do you know what would be a better option? Asking me when I put it to sleep? Or having the options be "Update tonight" and not "Update now"? Literally anything is better than asking me to update a device when I want to actually use the device!

Preach it my friend
Agree 1000%

It’s horrible design

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple’s entire software update philosophy is straight up coercive and borderline egregious. Easily the worst offender is iOS. If you have, say, an iOS 17-capable iPhone, but choose to stick with iOS 16, you cannot fully update 16 to the most secure version available. Jokers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.