Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Yeah, yeah! USB-C is great... one cable to rule 'em all, right? But why does it have to be so damn short? All comparable USB-C dongles/hubs on the market have one common problem: a laughable cable stump!

I am looking for a reliable USB-C extension data cable, male-to-female, to move the ugly Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter further away from my MacBook and hide it e.g. behind a monitor.

I know that the length specs for a USB-C data cable are limited to 1 meter. So, why on earth (literally) are there no working USB-C extension data cables available yet? What seems to be the problem?

HP managed to ease that problem slightly for my Elite x2 with a decent cable length on their USB-C dock (via Thunderbolt 3), but there are no comparable solutions for the MacBook on the market so far, not even a simple extension cable!

c04906081.png

HP Elite USB-C Docking Station
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-elite-usb-c-docking-station

I really don't want to buy an USB-C monitor yet, which would be the only known and working solution for now. So if anyone did somehow find a working USB-C extension cable, please share the shop link! :D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Reactions: ParanoidDroid

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
HP managed to ease that problem slightly for my Elite x2 with a decent cable length on their USB-C dock (via Thunderbolt 3), but there are no comparable solutions for the MacBook on the market so far, not even a simple extension cable!

c04906081.png

HP Elite USB-C Docking Station
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-elite-usb-c-docking-station

Is that a Thunderbolt 3 dock or a USB-C dock? If it is the latter, in theory it should work with the MacBook. Nothing on the HP website says it is Thunderbolt 3.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, yeah! USB-C is great... one cable to rule 'em all, right? But why does it have to be so damn short? All comparable USB-C dongles/hubs on the market have one common problem: a laughable cable stump!

I am looking for a reliable USB-C extension data cable, male-to-female, to move the ugly Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter further away from my MacBook and hide it e.g. behind a monitor.

I know that the length specs for a USB-C data cable are limited to 1 meter. So, why on earth (literally) are there no working USB-C extension data cables available yet? What seems to be the problem?

I agree completely. The only hub I've found that doesn't have an integrated cable is the OWC one. There are a couple extension cables available on eBay or the one linked above, but I've yet to see anyone say they work. Someone here mentioned that extension cable go against the USB-C spec (although I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere).

I have the OWC dock, but unfortunately it doesn't work with my Apple Cinema display (23" DVI). Note that it has a separate cable, but the Apple supplied one will not supply power and data. If you want one longer than the OWC provided one, you'll need to get one rated for USB 3.1.

Reactions: ParanoidDroid

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Is that a Thunderbolt 3 dock or a USB-C dock? If it is the latter, in theory it should work with the MacBook. Nothing on the HP website says it is Thunderbolt 3.

The HP Elite x2 has Thunderbolt 3, thus I can drive two external monitors with it and additional peripherals. It works well with the Elite x2, but when I connect the HP USB-C hub with my MacBook only USB ports and charging work. External displays and obviously the Ethernet won't work at all.

I have the OWC dock, but unfortunately it doesn't work with my Apple Cinema display (23" DVI). Note that it has a separate cable, but the Apple supplied one will not supply power and data. If you want one longer than the OWC provided one, you'll need to get one rated for USB 3.1.

OWC looks like a decent solution. I have been disappointed with 3rd party hubs so far. Only the Apple's "USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter" works reliably. The Minix was a disappointment, HDMI did not work with DVI-D displays. HooToo is too big.

Why does the OWC hub not work with the Apple monitor? Did you also try the Apple adapter?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The HP Elite x2 has Thunderbolt 3, thus I can drive two external monitors with it and additional peripherals. It works well with the Elite x2, but when I connect the HP USB-C hub with my MacBook only USB ports and charging work. External displays and obviously the Ethernet won't work at all.

OWC looks like a decent solution. I have been disappointed with 3rd party hubs so far. Only the Apple's "USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter" works reliably. The Minix was a disappointment, HDMI did not work with DVI-D displays. HooToo is too big.

Why does the OWC hub not work with the Apple monitor? Did you also try the Apple adapter?
The Ethernet is a driver issue. There's no technical reason why the USB-C port in the MacBook couldn't drive USB and Ethernet. That said, I'm sure HP is in no rush to write macOS drivers.

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008

Pretty sure it's an HDCP handshake issue going from USB-C to HDMI to DVI. That said, the mono price USB-C to DVI adapter with Ethernet had the same problem. The display is detected but flashes every 3 or 4 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.