Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Okay, here we go.

[RANT]
Well, anyway, I'm pretty pissed at my schools email server (which, coincidently is Microsoft Exchange). It's totally incompatible with any email client that doesn't have Microsoft in front of it's name. Even Mail's Exchange setting doesn't work. I can't easily change my email now, because everything from my iTunes, to my MacRumors account is under this email address. I hate how Microsoft products lock you into using other Microsoft products. They could use POP or IMAP, which would be completly compatible with anything I would want to use, but they think they can do it better with the piece of s**t Exchange Server. What's worse is that my school, among others, buy into this garbage.
[END RANT]

So, I'm sure nobody cares, but it felt good to vent.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I know it's not perfect but do they at least have OWA active, so you can use your Web browser?

BTW, Exchange supports IMAP, but the administrator needs to turn it on at both the server and mailbox store level before they allow you to use it. Most admins say no for some bizarre security reason. Yeah, like they care about security now??? After they chose M$ products? :D :D :D

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
[FEEL BETTER]So, I'm sure nobody cares, but it felt good to vent.[/FEEL BETTER]

Okay, now that that's off your chest, go out and get a gmail account and one by one start changing all of those iTunes, MR, etc accounts to use your new address. It's bad news and poor planning to tie an important email address to an ISP that may change or go away.

PS - don't hate MS for this, or anyone else :mad:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
And yet you do not complain about the iPod and iTMS lock?

Sorry just way to temping to point out Apple pulling the same stunt. But like the post said about it is your school fault for not turning on the feature that allow other programs to tie into it.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
We have an exchange server at work and I love it. Its features are extensive and useful. Shared contacts, calendars, and tasks are all great. We can dial our phones just by selecting a contact. It truly is some nice software.

Our admin enabled both webmail and pop access. My Palm (VersaMail), may Mac (Mail.app), and my work PC (Outlook) all connect and download mail.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I know it's not perfect but do they at least have OWA active, so you can use your Web browser?

BTW, Exchange supports IMAP, but the administrator needs to turn it on at both the server and mailbox store level before they allow you to use it. Most admins say no for some bizarre security reason. Yeah, like they care about security now??? After they chose M$ products? :D :D :D

I can use my web browser, but that's a nuisance since they don't support viewing folders on a browser on Mac, and I really like that feature.

My school said it was impossible to turn on IMAP, I tried telling them that "the genius at the Apple Store said you could". I never got a response back after that....

And yet you do not complain about the iPod and iTMS lock?

I do not blame Apple, I blame the effing record companies. ;)

Plus, I have no reason not to use an iPod, so I really don't care either way.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My school said it was impossible to turn on IMAP, I tried telling them that "the genius at the Apple Store said you could". I never got a response back after that....
So your admin doesn't know how to then. I've administered and supported Exchange since version 5.0. IMAP is fully integrated, you just have to know which places to turn it on. Get your admin to look up the instructions on Technet.

Oh yeah, and I have two MCSEs, to put it in language he/she will understand. Therefore I must know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So your admin doesn't know how to then. I've administered and supported Exchange since version 5.0. IMAP is fully integrated, you just have to know which places to turn it on. Get your admin to look up the instructions on Technet.

Oh yeah, and I have two MCSEs, to put it in language he/she will understand. Therefore I must know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

I'll try, but they probably hate me by now. I've been bugging them about IMAP support on and off since Spring 2005.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
I am willing to bet that the admin is fully aware that imap is built in. I used to work at a college IT dept. We too had IMAP access turned off for policy reasons. The exchange server was never my responsibility so I never questioned the reason behind the policy, but when I asked about IMAP, I was told it was against college policy and OWA was the only off campus option.

Also Exchange is a very nice mail server. It has many nice features and works great in my experience. It has worked with every mail client I have ever thrown at it, including Outlook 2003/2007, mail.app and others.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I am willing to bet that the admin is fully aware that imap is built in. I used to work at a college IT dept. We too had IMAP access turned off for policy reasons. The exchange server was never my responsibility so I never questioned the reason behind the policy, but when I asked about IMAP, I was told it was against college policy and OWA was the only off campus option.

Also Exchange is a very nice mail server. It has many nice features and works great in my experience. It has worked with every mail client I have ever thrown at it, including Outlook 2003/2007, mail.app and others.

Really, it worked with Mail? My schools email must hate Apple products. Not suprising, since my school is partially funded by the Bill and Melidna Gates foundation.

So they emailed me back, and basically told me to eff off.

I was going to gather together as many Mac users on campus to rally for IMAP support, since this issue is not unique to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.