Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum. I didn't have privileges to post in general but it's OK.
Anyway, my thing is this- while using my Android I can hardly click on a news story without the page going to one of those "Congrats you're the 1,000th Facebook visitor today! Click OK to claim your prize" type page with a complete Facebook logo and all. I obviously don't click on anything and I have to repeatedly hit the back button on my phone to get back to the article I was trying to read. Sometimes my page will also go to the Play Store and direct me to download an app. Yeah it's a mess. A factory reset won't help anything and setting up pop up ad block on any browser doesn't help either. I've tried.

Question: it's been awhile since I've used iOS with my last version being IOS 6. Do pop ups like that happen on iOS? I'm getting tired of the popups. I never recalled these annoyances with my iPhone.

Thanks for any input.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If you are on cellular and using a browser than using adblock extensions on Safari will solve your problem.However ads will still show up in other apps.If you are on WiFi,Weblock app has systemwide adblock feature and you wont see any ad anywhere

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum. I didn't have privileges to post in general but it's OK.
Anyway, my thing is this- while using my Android I can hardly click on a news story without the page going to one of those "Congrats you're the 1,000th Facebook visitor today! Click OK to claim your prize" type page with a complete Facebook logo and all. I obviously don't click on anything and I have to repeatedly hit the back button on my phone to get back to the article I was trying to read. Sometimes my page will also go to the Play Store and direct me to download an app. Yeah it's a mess. A factory reset won't help anything and setting up pop up ad block on any browser doesn't help either. I've tried.

Question: it's been awhile since I've used iOS with my last version being IOS 6. Do pop ups like that happen on iOS? I'm getting tired of the popups. I never recalled these annoyances with my iPhone.

Thanks for any input.

I haven't seen that happening with my iDevices running latest iOS9.3.1 version as far as popup concerned. I'm not even using a popup blocker app which is now available in the App Store since iOS9. Can you give an example of such a website where this occurs so I can test it out on my iDevices if I also get the annoying popuads on that certain website within e.g. the Safari browser on my iDevices.

I do hate it that certain apps do have annoying ads in them and in order to close those with an 'x' you sometimes press the banner (mostly for another app) and then sends you to a website or the App Store. That is pretty annoying. I therefore instantly remove such app which have such annoying ads or if I really like the app I will buy a pro version via e.g. in-app purchase to longer get ads within e.g. a game.

Reactions: alvesik

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
One of the options under Safari settings is to run a pop-up blocker that's already built into iOS, and it's on by default.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Sorry for the confusion guys. I didn't mean that I'm getting pop ups on an iPhone (I don't own one but would like to). I meant that I am getting them on my Android. My question was do iPhones get pop ups? And why do Androids get pop ups like the one I'm experiencing? Sorry for any confusion guys

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sorry for the confusion guys. I didn't mean that I'm getting pop ups on an iPhone (I don't own one but would like to). I meant that I am getting them on my Android. My question was do iPhones get pop ups? And why do Androids get pop ups like the one I'm experiencing? Sorry for any confusion guys
Are you talking about pop ups in web browsers OR apps?

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
There are some very annoying mobile ads that you'll sometime see on an iPhone. I don't know if they're the same as what you're seeing on Android. But there are some very good content blockers for iOS that will greatly reduce that problem.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For apps, such pop up ads are not removable without installing ad blocker or making inapp pirchases to unlock "pro" version.
For Safari, some popups can be removed. But there are still a lot of such when browsing websites.
Your best bet is installing an ad blocker to block ads.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I only experience pop ups in Chrome for Android. I don't experience them in any apps I use. It's just annoying. I can hardly read a simple news article without there being a pop up on Chrome. I used Firefox with add block added on but wow the browser was SLOW..

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
As mentioned by others, Safari on iOS with an adblock won't show pop-ups (don't think I have seen pop-ups without adblocks either).

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I only experience pop ups in Chrome for Android. I don't experience them in any apps I use. It's just annoying. I can hardly read a simple news article without there being a pop up on Chrome. I used Firefox with add block added on but wow the browser was SLOW..

Replies are very mixed up, so here's hoping this is the only answer you'll need:

I have been using iOS for nearly a decade now and have yet to see any kind of pop-up - unless I purposely or accidentally click on an ad that opens the App Store or opens a pop up. This is very different behaviour than the one you're seeing on Android.

Obviously if you visit a crazy site, you might get that usual string of pop-ups, but I'm assuming you know the difference between trusted and non-trusted sources and therefore tap search results properly.

iOS has a built in pop-up blocker in Settings, and you can download 3rd party ones from the App Store. I have the iOS one on, but since iOS is sandboxed, you'll probably have no problem with it turned off.

Free Apps (and paid) can use something call 'iAds' or their own ad system that will display ads periodically (when you finish a game or something) and this is usually something you have no control over, unless you buy the full version of the app, or close the ad using the X button.

My advise to you would be to use a proper news app that can be downloaded from the App Store or use the preinstalled one on iOS/Android.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I use crystal adblock with Safari on my iPhone with Zero pop ups and ads and no speed difference

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Sorry to ask, but what are the websites that this occurs on? If you aren't comfortable sharing then that's okay. Does it occur on every website? Is it the same popup across multiple websites? Or just one or a couple websites?

I use "Purify" from the App Store and it works very well, barely ever see any ads or popups, if they show up at all. I don't do a lot of random browsing, mostly just a select few sites and none of which show ads anymore.

I hate to take away the ad revenue but geez don't allow the obnoxious ads that like highlight every other word with weird shady stuff, or ads that pop up and follow you down the page, or ads that are a persistent banner along the bottom (we have little space to begin with on phone screens, yes even phablets! Don't clutter it up so much!) or ads that pop up and cover the entire screen with an obscure or slow close button, or ads that play sounds or negatively effect web performance. Ugh. People wonder why ads are getting blocked. I don't mind YouTube ads, I want to support the people I'm subscribed to, they aren't obnoxious really. I also don't mind ads that are pretty much just a picture on the side that you can scroll right past. That's about it, though. They've gotten so extremely obnoxious and even hazardous, that I can't live with them.

I definitely can understand your frustration. I feel like dolphin browser on android allows for ad blocking but I'm not too sure. Look into alternative browsers for now as I don't think you can use plugins with chrome on mobile. Maybe you can, I don't know.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I haven't seen that happening with my iDevices running latest iOS9.3.1 version as far as popup concerned. I'm not even using a popup blocker app which is now available in the App Store since iOS9. Can you give an example of such a website where this occurs so I can test it out on my iDevices if I also get the annoying popuads on that certain website within e.g. the Safari browser on my iDevices.

I do hate it that certain apps do have annoying ads in them and in order to close those with an 'x' you sometimes press the banner (mostly for another app) and then sends you to a website or the App Store. That is pretty annoying. I therefore instantly remove such app which have such annoying ads or if I really like the app I will buy a pro version via e.g. in-app purchase to longer get ads within e.g. a game.

What Android? I have used lots of androids and iPhones over the last few years and can't remember ever seeing a pop up. They should be blocked by default on any regularly used browser.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
App Store and iTunes pop-ups force open their corresponding apps, which is particularly annoying.

HOWEVER, if you have 3D Touch, you can preview links first before opening tabs to avoid pop-ups. :p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i use the Adguard Adblocker and no pop ups or ads whatsoever. i used to get redirected to the AppStore on some sites but that hasnt been happening since Apple introduced Content Blockers

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I heard that when driving around in China with Android you will get pop ups and notifications from brothels. Has anyone else heard of that. Now that would be annoying.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
There are definitely annoying pop up advertisements on mobile websites that you need to X out of to see the content you originally wanted to see.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

Thanks for any input.

iOS 6 was a long time ago ;)

On iOS 9+, iOS will ask "Do you want to open the AppStore? Yes/No"

And you can block ads (trackers, popups, banners, redirects), with some Content Blocker Apps on the AppStore. That will work for Safari and some Apps that use Apple's new "SFSafariViewController".

Reactions: pacorob

Pit bull puppy

Suspended
Apr 7, 2016
Skokie Illinois
I have been using iOS 9.3.1 on my iPad 2 that I rescued from the garbage a week ago tomorrow and have not seen one annoying pop up on it using the safari browser. So far iOS is very enjoyable to use unlike android....although android 4.4 kit kat isn't terrible, iOS is far superior.

alvesik

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
I have no popup blocker enabled and I've runs every iOS between iOS 6 and ios 9.3 and I've maybe had one of those sketchy phishy popups 5 times in that time and at all times I on questionable sites. iOS is the way to go my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.