Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanFlynn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey Friends,

I just moved and my new place has 10 Gigabit symmetrical fiber for $50/month. Absolutely overkill, but I'll take it! My Mac has 10gb ethernet, but my modem only has a single 10gb ethernet port which goes into my mesh router for the rest of the house. Can I use a 10gbe switch from the modem and hardwire my Mac and mesh router into that? Or what else do I need to actually take advantage of my fancy new internet?

Thanks!
Ryan

• Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Does your modem do the routing, or the routing is happening on the main mesh router? Could you attach your current network topology here.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Hey Friends,

I just moved and my new place has 10 Gigabit symmetrical fiber for $50/month. Absolutely overkill, but I'll take it! My Mac has 10gb ethernet, but my modem only has a single 10gb ethernet port which goes into my mesh router for the rest of the house. Can I use a 10gbe switch from the modem and hardwire my Mac and mesh router into that? Or what else do I need to actually take advantage of my fancy new internet?

Thanks!
Ryan
Does your mesh router have a 10G LAN port? Or just a 10G WAN port?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey Friends,

Thanks!
Ryan
Does your modem do the routing, or the routing is happening on the main mesh router? Could you attach your current network topology here.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
We REALLY need to know what happens inside the box the ISP gave you. Do a simple test. Plug the Mac directly into the "modem" that gave you. Don't even power up the WiFi router.

Does the Mac see the Internet? Does the Mac have a routable ip address? If so then the modem is acting as a bridge and technically you have what you asked for with only the cost of one cable.

But I assume you want
1) your Mac to be an IP address that is on your local LAN and for the Mac NOT to be directly in the Internet.
2) you want other devices to connect vi WiFi.

In this case you want to
Buy a router that has at least two 10 Gbe ports, one LAN and one WAN. Such a router will be EXPENSIVE and almost certainly it will nt Suport WiFi, it will only be a router. Then you connect a multi-gigabit switch to the routers LAN port and connect everything (your Mac and your Access point(s) to the routers. T get full speed you want WiFi 6e access points.

The hard part here is finding a fast enough router.

But the above assumes the "modem" is just that and nut actually a router. You have to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.