Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Yes, I am a newbie to the forums and to Mac products. This is my first Mac Product, so I am coming to you guys for help. Windows Mobile is annoying as hell, even 6.1, on my Tilt. Help me make the best decision for my new electronic best friend?

Ok, so over the course of the last maybe 2 months I have done a decent amount of research on cases for the iPhone 3g I am getting today at my local AT&T store.

I am one of those people who think in a minimalist way that I would rather enjoy my phone for what it is, and if I could, I would leave it naked and just put a screen protector on it. Then, when its in my pocket, I want to put it in maybe a Rex Regina Sleeve or a Sena Ultra Slim case. I treat my electronics well and very very rarely drop them, so I myself could pull it off.

However

My girlfriend may as well be a walking cell phone killer. She dropped my AT&T Tilt twice. Shes dropped her own Sony Ericson phone like 10 times. Good thing that phone is a tank.

Personally, I want to leave it naked, but I know she'll want to play with it, seeing as she likes to play with a lot of my things (see what I did there?) lol.
If I go naked or put an Incipio feather case on it, and she drops it, I may as well call the AT&T store while Its falling to the ground because those cases sure as hell will not stand the test of a 3-4 foot fall, and consequently, my new phone will take the damage, more than likely shattering it.

For the tl;dr; people out there, what case can I get that is minimal in design, but that is "clumsy girlfriend proof" enough to at least take the hit for the phone? I dont care if the case scratches or breaks, as long as my 300$ investment is safe. I can always buy a new case.

I was thinking about the "Contour Hard Case" in black for my black iPhone. Its small but seems like it can take a fall. People have suggested the "Incase Slider," but I dont plan on docking the phone, so a slide out bottom isn't neccessary. "Otter Box" cases are too bulky.

My Point: I need a slim phone that is "clumsy girlfriend proof." Suggestions?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Yes, I am a newbie to the forums and to Mac products. This is my first Mac Product, so I am coming to you guys for help. Windows Mobile is annoying as hell, even 6.1, on my Tilt. Help me make the best decision for my new electronic best friend?

Ok, so over the course of the last maybe 2 months I have done a decent amount of research on cases for the iPhone 3g I am getting today at my local AT&T store.

I am one of those people who think in a minimalist way that I would rather enjoy my phone for what it is, and if I could, I would leave it naked and just put a screen protector on it. Then, when its in my pocket, I want to put it in maybe a Rex Regina Sleeve or a Sena Ultra Slim case. I treat my electronics well and very very rarely drop them, so I myself could pull it off.

However

My girlfriend may as well be a walking cell phone killer. She dropped my AT&T Tilt twice. Shes dropped her own Sony Ericson phone like 10 times. Good thing that phone is a tank.

Personally, I want to leave it naked, but I know she'll want to play with it, seeing as she likes to play with a lot of my things (see what I did there?) lol.
If I go naked or put an Incipio feather case on it, and she drops it, I may as well call the AT&T store while Its falling to the ground because those cases sure as hell will not stand the test of a 3-4 foot fall, and consequently, my new phone will take the damage, more than likely shattering it.

For the tl;dr; people out there, what case can I get that is minimal in design, but that is "clumsy girlfriend proof" enough to at least take the hit for the phone? I dont care if the case scratches or breaks, as long as my 300$ investment is safe. I can always buy a new case.

I was thinking about the "Contour Hard Case" in black for my black iPhone. Its small but seems like it can take a fall. People have suggested the "Incase Slider," but I dont plan on docking the phone, so a slide out bottom isn't neccessary. "Otter Box" cases are too bulky.

My Point: I need a slim phone that is "clumsy girlfriend proof." Suggestions?

Check out the speck candy shell, its a silicone case with a hard outer shell. Best of both worlds for protection. Its not a perfect case but i think its about the best protection for the money.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I am in a similar situation, I use to have the SGP Ultra Thin,

iphone3g_case_black_top_contents.jpg

until my 4 years old discover my 3g can play games and youtube videos, I switch it to iphone 3g defender case for better protection

1942-05.4.2.jpg

cymrulp

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Uk
I found the Capsule Rebel to be pretty tough but adds a bit of bulk to the phone.

Im currently using the Incase Slider and love it!

TheBrainMcClain

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
The Capsule Rebel is very durable and looks great, but the Otterbox Defender is the most heavy-duty case on the market. I drop my iPhone constantly and the CapsuleRebel has never let me down. The only damage I did to my case was when I dropped it from about 6' on rough concrete, which scratched some of the plastic off. I've been going caseless for about a few months now and even a 6' high drop has done nothing more than scratch my bezel. If you run you iPhone with a low profile case I don't see it breaking with a few drops.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
slim cases dont have a "lip" around the screen so if shes drop the iphone on the front the case will do nothing.
they only protect from short distance falls on the back and scratches from the desk (etc...).

if you decide to buy a case to protect from drops, you most consider bulkier cases that can give you shock absorbing and lip around the screen.
look at the candyshell from speck, its not slim at all but it looks very good (smooth and shiny) and giving great protection.

TheBrainMcClain

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
slim cases dont have a "lip" around the screen so if shes drop the iphone on the front the case will do nothing.
they only protect from short distance falls on the back and scratches from the desk (etc...).

if you decide to buy a case to protect from drops, you most consider bulkier cases that can give you shock absorbing and lip around the screen.
look at the candyshell from speck, its not slim at all but it looks very good (smooth and shiny) and giving great protection.
It doesn't protect all of the bezel like the CapsuleRebel. The Neo doesn't add as much bulk as the Rebel, so I would choose that if you wanted something slimmer. Still, if a 6' drop can't break a caseless iPhone, a slim case or something slightly more protective like the iSkin Solo would do just fine.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
its protecting the bezel enough, the hairline chrome can scratch only if you push something intheir in force.

and yes, the neo is a great choice if he looking for disposable case...

TheBrainMcClain

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
its protecting the bezel enough, the hairline chrome can scratch only if you push something intheir in force.

and yes, the neo is a great choice if he looking for disposable case...
The Candy Shell is a good case, but it's a truly homely piece of plastic. The Neo is quite durable; the I-bracket being the only piece of plastic you'd need to be careful with. It adds less bulk than the Rebel or the homely Candy Shell. I think the iSkin Solo is the best choice for his scenario though. It's durable and isn't very bulky.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
TheBrainMcClain, dont get me wrong, i love switheasy's products and i know the candyshell isn't perfect, i'm not a fanboy or something.

but after my friend's neo broke after one week i start to dig about it, most of the threads who talk about the neo is for this issue.

look only at the 1st and the 2nd:
http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105
(and its just an example, i can find you 20 more threads like them).

i love how the neo looks and i know for sure it protecting the phone really good, but i can't recommend it for anyone because i truly believe this guy will come back for other case after few months.

TheBrainMcClain

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
TheBrainMcClain, dont get me wrong, i love switheasy's products and i know the candyshell isn't perfect, i'm not a fanboy or something.

but after my friend's neo broke after one week i start to dig about it, most of the threads who talk about the neo is for this issue.

look only at the 1st and the 2nd:
http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105
(and its just an example, i can find you 20 more threads like them).

i love how the neo looks and i know for sure it protecting the phone really good, but i can't recommend it for anyone because i truly believe this guy will come back for other case after few months.
My only problem with the Neo is the initial installation. Lining up the soft inner sleeve to my OCD standards was a real pain. The CapsuleRebel is easy as hell to install though. I prefer the latter anyways, as the ease of installation and better protection suits me better. If you keep your case on all the time and don't mind spending time on the install, the Neo is a better low profile choice though.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I have a few cases which I tried, and at the moment I like the Capsule Rebel the best. However, for straight out drop protection, I actually feel better with the soft silicone cases like a Marware Sport Grip which have a rubbery texture and might bounce if the phone is dropped, also, the rubber gives some extra grip.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
that ultra thin is REALLY NICE!!

I had the same dilemma,but my need ended up making the decision for me. I downloaded the CardSnap app. It is an app that lets you take a picture of a business card and it will add it to your contacts with no work at all.. They suggest getting the griffin clarify case which has a little macro lens slider on it, and it takes AWESOME pictures of text on paper.. so ibought it. I love it, and its not too bulky.. ust something else to think about

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.