Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemama2300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Something tells me that the new magic, keyboard, trackpad, and mouse with USB-C that we were expecting with the new iMac is going to be released alongside the new Mac mini with the M3 chip. Of course, Apple will announce it alongside their desktop that doesn’t come with any mouse and keyboard to entice you to buy their new and hopefully improved design. The M3 iMac is just using up leftover inventory at this point.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
What else are you feeling? Tell me more about economics next year and tomorrow's weather

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Something tells me that the new magic, keyboard, trackpad, and mouse with USB-C that we were expecting with the new iMac is going to be released alongside the new Mac mini with the M3 chip. Of course, Apple will announce it alongside their desktop that doesn’t come with any mouse and keyboard to entice you to buy their new and hopefully improved design. The M3 iMac is just using up leftover inventory at this point.
You could be right that Apple is resevering the usb-c accessories for the pro machines like the Mac Studio or Mac Pro.

Forcing consumer machines like the iMac or Mac Mini to use lighting.

My bet: The iMac design and specs were already signed off on before the decision to make the iPhone USB-C. They didn’t have enough time from an engineering perspective to get it right so they just stuck to what they have.

My further bet: Yesterday was a rushed event because the upcoming earnings report is going to be bad. Apple rushed out the most ready upgrades they had to stop the bleeding and keep investors happy.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Eh Apple sometimes just has no rhyme or reason to what they are doing. For all we know, they will encourage third party vendors to discount all their lightning accessories especially with Black Friday deals, and then release the C stuff in December quietly. Stranger things have happened.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Eh Apple sometimes just has no rhyme or reason to what they are doing. For all we know, they will encourage third party vendors to discount all their lightning accessories especially with Black Friday deals, and then release the C stuff in December quietly. Stranger things have happened.
Considering there were leaked pictured colored USB-C cables in the iMac colors, this isn’t just random.

Apple rushed the machine out before everything was ready. While possible they do a mid gen upgrade, I doubt it. Apple gains a lot by using Lighting.

It took the EU to force the iPhone. We need the EU to step up again.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Considering there were leaked pictured colored USB-C cables in the iMac colors, this isn’t just random.

Apple rushed the machine out before everything was ready. While possible they do a mid gen upgrade, I doubt it. Apple gains a lot by using Lighting.

It took the EU to force the iPhone. We need the EU to step up again.
How do you know that those cables were even Apple cables and not one of of the hundred of different cables You can find online? And I doubt Apple rushed anything.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I’m probably going to buy another set of trackpad and keyboard for my second Mac Mini to replace a really old set. While not thrilled about spending a considerable amount of money on this without the update to USB C, the reality is that it would have very little impact on me. How often do you need to charge these? Have plenty of lightening cables already. Plenty of USB A ports to plug them into. More disturbing that Mini still has those honestly.

Reactions: joemama2300

joemama2300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I’m probably going to buy another set of trackpad and keyboard for my second Mac Mini to replace a really old set. While not thrilled about spending a considerable amount of money on this without the update to USB C, the reality is that it would have very little impact on me. How often do you need to charge these? Have plenty of lightening cables already. Plenty of USB A ports to plug them into. More disturbing that Mini still has those honestly.
I kind of understand USB A on the mini just for the fact that you can literally plug in any keyboard and mouse no matter how old or new it is. Which helped me out a few times in the past when my magic mouse had died and I needed to plug In a quick USB mouse real quick just to get logged into my computer.

The real question is will Apple change the magic mouse design so we can use the mouse while charging it. (I have a feeling they won’t)

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I kind of understand USB A on the mini just for the fact that you can literally plug in any keyboard and mouse no matter how old or new it is. Which helped me out a few times in the past when my magic mouse had died and I needed to plug In a quick USB mouse real quick just to get logged into my computer.

The real question is will Apple change the magic mouse design so we can use the mouse while charging it. (I have a feeling they won’t)
This might be why they didn’t switch out the connector for USB-C this week, they may be redesigning the mouse so it can be charged while in use, whilst adding USB-C and possibly other benefits like lower latency. A “Magic Mouse Pro” or something perhaps.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
That seems so random. The whole point of the mac mini is that you can pair it with whatever accessories you want with it. Why would Apple release the updated USB-C versions of these accessories with a computer that Apple emphasizes freedom of choice?

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.