Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olefins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
i decided to go with T mobile because they have the buy one get one free on Samsung. I got me and my wife a note 8. Been with Apple since 2008 and don’t like where they are heading. Back to the topic at hand I’m returning the AT&T iPhone X and 8 due to net neutrality. I don’t even want to deal with them. Can’t wait to see the stuff the note can do.

P.s do anyone know any good android websites

Olefins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
So you’re getting both note 8 and x? Or you’re canceling the x?

If you’re an Apple guy for years just make sure you give yourself a good amount of time with Android. Don’t decide after a few days.
Canceling it

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
i decided to go with T mobile because they have the buy one get one free on Samsung. I got me and my wife a note 8. Been with Apple since 2008 and don’t like where they are heading. Back to the topic at hand I’m returning the AT&T iPhone X and 8 due to net neutrality. I don’t even want to deal with them. Can’t wait to see the stuff the note can do.

P.s do anyone know any good android websites
Android Central Forums or the reliable XDA. Or just read comments from GSMArena, Engadget, and YouTube. They are very anti-Apple over there.

On YouTube, subscribe to MKBHD, Mr. Mobile, Android Authority, SuperSaf, Dave Lee, JimsReviewRoom. Alot of those YouTubers get Google money anyway.

Online, billions of us may use an Apple vessel but we all live in a Google world that relies on Google services every day.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Note 8 section on XDA Developers ( very well respected Android nerd site );
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8

Android Central ( Note 8 section )
https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/

Android Police ( Can't go wrong here for General Android news )
http://www.androidpolice.com/

On Android Central- I couldn't open the page b/c of ad block and I had to disable ad block. However, the ads on the site make the site very sluggish to use. Is that the experience for everyone?

Another overall issue that I am experience dabbing into Android is the number of ads(also from owning the note 2 back in the days with bloatware and ads) ... like the one I found on the phone app on my relative's S8. For you Android users, how do you block ads indefinitely?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
On Android Central- I couldn't open the page b/c of ad block and I had to disable ad block. However, the ads on the site make the site very sluggish to use. Is that the experience for everyone?

Another overall issue that I am experience dabbing into Android is the number of ads(also from owning the note 2 back in the days with bloatware and ads) ... like the one I found on the phone app on my relative's S8. For you Android users, how do you block ads indefinitely?

Use Samsung Internet with Adguard or Chrome with Adguard. Non-issue.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Root that phone and install AdAway, it's the sure proof way to permanently STOP all ads for good.

Or you could install 'DNS666' or 'Blockada' both don't require root, and go deeper than AdGuard, but not as good as a rooted phone with AdAway.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Use Samsung Internet with Adguard or Chrome with Adguard. Non-issue.

This is in Chrome on a Windows PC. I tried installing adguard but the site seems to detect that I have a form of ad block and won't connect unless I turn it off. I guess the mobile version of the site is better?
[doublepost=1512150685][/doublepost]
Root that phone and install AdAway, it's the sure proof way to permanently STOP all ads for good. Or you could install 'DNS666' or 'Blockada' both don't require root, and go deeper than AdGuard, but not as good as a rooted phone with AdAway.

oh I see. I have AT&T currently if I purchase an AT&T version of the note 8 and I root it, will it affect Wifi Calling, secure folder and Samsung Pay? I keep on hearing these 3 things don't work once it's rooted.

Also I have considered buying an international version of the note 8 (b/c of color choices and more storage) I am wondering if rooting it will work and be able to get wifi calling, secure folder, and samsung pay to work... I am also concerned about getting full LTE speed b/c of the non carrier version.

Seems like there are drawbacks to get a rooted phone b/c you can't really update your phone (or get some of the carrier specific features to work) if my understanding is correct. I am very tempted by the Note 8 but I have some concerns about switching to it from an iPhone which is not as feature rich but I don't have to worry about obtrusive ads or the need to jailbreak / root.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is in Chrome on a Windows PC. I tried installing adguard but the site seems to detect that I have a form of ad block and won't connect unless I turn it off. I guess the mobile version of the site is better?

On Windows PC use Chrome with uBlock Origin. Non-issue. On mobile it might pop-up that you're using an ad blocker but just hit 'close'.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
sorry excuse my ignorance here, you stated you are returning the apple phones because of net neutrality, how does net neutrality negatively affect iPhones but not android devices? and again excuse my ignorance I'm not too versed on the topic.

Reactions: 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
sorry excuse my ignorance here, you stated you are returning the apple phones because of net neutrality, how does net neutrality negatively affect iPhones but not android devices? and again excuse my ignorance I'm not too versed on the topic.

I believe his beef is with AT&T regarding their stance on net neutrality, not the iPhones specifically, thus his switch to TMobile.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

iMore in unusable in the same manner

Olefins

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
I dislike At&T because they have an ISP and are one of the main companies pushing for net neutrality
[doublepost=1512176645][/doublepost]
Android Central Forums or the reliable XDA. Or just read comments from GSMArena, Engadget, and YouTube. They are very anti-Apple over there.

On YouTube, subscribe to MKBHD, Mr. Mobile, Android Authority, SuperSaf, Dave Lee, JimsReviewRoom. Alot of those YouTubers get Google money anyway.

Online, billions of us may use an Apple vessel but we all live in a Google world that relies on Google services every day.
Thanks bro and I agree 100% I have Apple everything, but I’m tired of buying over priced stuff from them.

Reactions: bigjnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.