Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anyany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
I was playing around with the user list today on my old good MacBook A1286 with High Sierra 10.13.6. At one point I wanted to edit the parameters of the only user with administrator privileges (I wanted to change the displayed name), of course all those Id's, Groups, etc. disappeared. As a result, the system works, but this user now has standard privileges. And I don't have any user with administrator privileges.

On the Internet I found a description of starting with Cmd-S, and then in the terminal:

mount -uw
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
restart

However, this does not help in my case. I have two systems installed on my drive (each on a separate partition): ElCapitain and HighSierra. I used to have ElCapitain installed first, then I installed HighSierra on the second partition (the old ElCapitain stayed because of Logic 9, which didn't work on HihgSierra at the time). So normally I used HihgSierra, but if I wanted to run Logic 9, I booted with [Alt] pressed and could choose which partition to boot.

Because of this, now I can't select Cmd-S for the second partition, which is the HighSierra system. I have the impression that the console (Cmd-S allows me to boot only on the ElCapitain system configuration).

I am currently making a full copy of the data from both partitions as a precaution (it will come in handy), but I thought you might know of a way to restore the user's previous administrative privileges. If there is no such option, then I'm faced with installing everything from scratch :)

Happy New Year 2023!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.