Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
So my friend bought a new xs max recently. He got the Phone came in its box, sealed with the original apple seal and everything. However to his surprise after using the phone for a couple of hours he noticed that the phone’s serial number doesn’t match that of the box. But the IMEI matches! Also the phone’s model number starts with an N, which means it’s a replacement device. But the weird thing is that it came sealed like an original apple device, everything was as it should be. Battery health is 100% with 0 cycles and all.

How is that possible that a replacement device is packaged in a box that matches its IMEI? But has a different serial number.
It’s worth noting that the serial number on the box, is an iPhone XR’s serial number upon looking it up lol.

The phone is working fine and all but, I’m curious as to how or what happened in his case. The box was sealed exactly the way apple seals their packages. So yeah.

So what do you think is going on here guys?

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
So my friend bought a new xs max recently. He got the Phone came in its box, sealed with the original apple seal and everything. However to his surprise after using the phone for a couple of hours he noticed that the phone’s serial number doesn’t match that of the box. But the IMEI matches! Also the phone’s model number starts with an N, which means it’s a replacement device. But the weird thing is that it came sealed like an original apple device, everything was as it should be. Battery health is 100% with 0 cycles and all.

How is that possible that a replacement device is packaged in a box that matches its IMEI? But has a different serial number.
It’s worth noting that the serial number on the box, is an iPhone XR’s serial number upon looking it up lol.

The phone is working fine and all but, I’m curious as to how or what happened in his case. The box was sealed exactly the way apple seals their packages. So yeah.

So what do you think is going on here guys?
Where was this phone purchased?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If a model number begins with N, that means the phone is a Apple refurbished replacement device. If the phone was in retail packaging instead of a plain white box, the place your friend bought the phone from probably repackaged the phone themselves to get a better price, or someone at Apple screwed up and a refurbished got boxed as new and sent to the reseller.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
If a serial number begins with N, that means the phone is a Apple refurbished replacement device
I know that, however how’s it packaged in a full box with a different serial number? Replacement devices come in smaller boxes with no charger or earpods.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I know that, however how’s it packaged in a full box with a different serial number? Replacement devices come in smaller boxes with no charger or earpods.
Definitely not normal. I think the phone was repackaged by the reseller. Your friend should return the phone ASAP, and find another authorized reseller, or buy directly from Apple if possible.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It is not very hard nowadays to repackage stuff, including sealing etc.

Given it is bought within Pakistan, the chance to find a truly “authorised” seller may prove to be difficult.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
AFAIK there are no Apple recognised resellers in Pakistan. At least that’s what it says on their website.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.