Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad storage should I get?

• 64gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 128gb

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 256gb

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 512gb

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't know...

What size house should I buy?
See how that works when you don't know anything about the person, what they want, what they need, what they can afford, etc.?

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I voted for 256gb’s as I think as a gamer that should be more than enough for an iPad. Just my opinion.

strawberryshortcake

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2017
Bay Area, California
Off topic
Pet peeve: titles that offer no information at all as to what the thread is about at all. Imagine reading ipad’s forum with thread topics like ... ‘Can you help?’ ‘Should I get this or that?’ ‘Why didn’t they?’ ‘I have two quick questions’ ‘tell me what i should do?’

Your thread title could easily have been written like such:
"I am a gamer, what size ipad should I get?"

On topic

Run a search on the ios store to determine what kind of games you might be at all interested. Find out the number of storage space they will occupy. Do note that as you approach the capacity of the ioad, supposedly the overall performance of the ipad will slow down a bit. If you can put together a list of games that will take up 200gb, you might want to consider going for the 512gb. Also do take note that they may be coming out with a new ipad this year ... could that change your mind and postpone your purchase...

I personally got the 12.9 512gb and I still think it’s still too small.

Something I wanted to add is to consider the size of future games. Moving from something say the PS3 to the PS4, the size of the games have drastically increased, some games bordering on 50gb. What's the landscape of mobile iOS games and their reliance on space.

Last edited:

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
256 GB seems like more than enough for games, but I guess you can never have too much storage. Just not enough. I’d say go with 256 GB or 512 GB if you want to really future proof yourself.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Off topic
Pet peeve: titles that offer no information at all as to what the thread is about at all. Imagine reading ipad’s forum with thread topics like ... ‘Can you help?’ ‘Should I get this or that?’ ‘Why didn’t they?’ ‘I have two quick questions’ ‘tell me what i should do?’

Your thread title could easily have been written like such:
"I am a gamer, what size ipad should I get?"

On topic

Run a search on the ios store to determine what kind of games you might be at all interested. Find out the number of storage space they will occupy. Do note that as you approach the capacity of the ioad, supposedly the overall performance of the ipad will slow down a bit. If you can put together a list of games that will take up 200gb, you might want to consider going for the 512gb. Also do take note that they may be coming out with a new ipad this year ... could that change your mind and postpone your purchase...

I personally got the 12.9 512gb and I still think it’s still too small.

Something I wanted to add is to consider the size of future games. Moving from something say the PS3 to the PS4, the size of the games have drastically increased, some games bordering on 50gb. What's the landscape of mobile iOS games and their reliance on space.

Agree completely on how frustrating vague, general titles can be.

Re the question to hand, I'm not a gamer, but I am of the view that there is no such thing as too much storage. Thus, any computer (three MBAs) that I have bought over the past five years has come with 512GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.