Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbehrmusic

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
There are great refurbished options on Apple, or used on Swappa. You can definitely get an Apple Watch, iPhone and m1 MacBook Air for that price. Depends on your needs though. If you need the higher end models, such as iPhone Pro Max, or MacBook Pro, you won't be able to hit that price.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I'm frankly surprised by the recommendations for an iPhone 15. If your budget is restricted then why go for this? Older phones are just as capable with the proviso perhaps of being 5G. Sure if you want to burn through cash then go for it, but what will a 15 really give you that a much cheaper second hand older phone won't?

This would free up funds for a MBA or an iPad.

I've been happily using an 8+ for five years and there's zero need to upgrade.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
hi

great thread.

here are my thoughts.

1 forget about any MacOS device. no longer needed (big exaggeration, but for most people, applicable)

2 iPad Air. With Magic Keyboard. buy a used one -maybe 2 years old.

3 keep your iPhone SE 2022. great phone. period

4 Watch SE - buy a refurbished one from apple if they have them. see if the non-cellular model meets your needs.

5 Air Pods Pro 2 w/apple care +

6 iCloud Drive and iCloud storage plan so that files are accessible across iPhone and iPad.

7 apple one for TV, Music etc, if you extend ecosphere to these types of content

there are three reasons why the above makes sense:

- staying with iOS/iPadOS keeps your original intent of the ecosphere. makes it all just work. MacOS adds complication.
- think of yr iPhone being a computer. its just that the screen is just too small to do work on it. thus, need an iOS device with a larger screen than an iPhone. hence, an iPad.
- the Watch is needed because if it unique and totally different. it is a wearable like the Air Pods. the watch is needed not for its screen size, but because if its sensors and haptic notifications on yr wrist and apple pay on yr wrist.

note: its unfortunate that a Watch needs to be paired with an iPhone.
i have been able to say for me that my Watch is my favourite apple device that of all the apple devices i have ever owned. i dont want to be without it.
the watch can almost replace my iPhone but not quite (specifically referring to some types of email that are rendered on the Watch as documents instead of as text can not be read frequently as the print is too small and no way to enlarge it.), and not enough apps that have bought over to the watch with an app that is a fully functioning version of the iOS/iPadOS app yet. and this situation won't change unless / until apple moves first o make it possible to not need to pair a watch with an iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: SloumaGamer

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I'm frankly surprised by the recommendations for an iPhone 15. If your budget is restricted then why go for this? Older phones are just as capable with the proviso perhaps of being 5G. Sure if you want to burn through cash then go for it, but what will a 15 really give you that a much cheaper second hand older phone won't?

This would free up funds for a MBA or an iPad.

I've been happily using an 8+ for five years and there's zero need to upgrade.

Starting from zero and only having to deal with USB-C instead of two cables sounds like a massive win to me.
Here in Europe I could get a discounted 15 for ~800€, a discounted 14 would be ~700 and a 13 would be ~600.
No brainer for all the cumulative upgrades.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Starting from zero and only having to deal with USB-C instead of two cables sounds like a massive win to me.
Here in Europe I could get a discounted 15 for ~800€, a discounted 14 would be ~700 and a 13 would be ~600.

Exactly, this or they could stick it out with their current SE to get more budget towards the rest depending on priorities.

Bokka

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2018
But the real question is: do you really need an Apple device?

Considering that some applications you will use may not be compatible with macOS, with your budget you can easily get:

1) An Android phone, perhaps a Pixel 7a
2) A good laptop, with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of hard disk. Maybe with a 15" screen, which may be more inconvenient to carry but certainly more comfortable to use (and will probably cost less than a Macbook air) than a 13". Or if the problem is size, you can find good 13/14" PCs with a better specs over the Macook air base.
2) Do you really need the tablet? If you have to use it for "simple" things, (for example) a Galaxy Tab a8 is also fine.
3) As for the smartwatch, I don't know what advice to give you since I don't use it and I honestly don't know what to do with it.

4) Ecosystem question: in the end Google also has its own ecosystem which works very well. If I take a photo with an Android phone, it will go directly to Google Photos and from there (if I have Google One) I can edit it with many options. If I then install the Google Drive app on a Windows PC, I can indicate the shared photo folder on the "Windows Photos" app and voilà, I find it almost instantly on the Windows PC.
The same thing applies to Google Drive and iCloud drive or to the calendar, which on Google is light years ahead of that of Apple and of course, you can sync the Apple's calendar or Google calendar with Windows.
Maybe it won't be as "smart" as airdrop, but I would say that there are programs that overcome this... and to be honest, you can live without it.

In the end, even if you have an iPhone, you will still use Google services (YouTube, Gmail or Maps for example), so in the end, what exactly do you do with Apple services, which are poorer than Google's (currently)?

If you studied as a graphic designer I could also understand the need to have a good panel in the laptop, but in your case it is not the main thing you need.

And with the money you save you can take a girl out for dinner ;-)

And I forgot, you probably won't have to think about which connector to use, given that the world has moved on in recent years and USB-C is now the standard, except for Apple...

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023

Considering that some applications you will use may not be compatible with macOS, with your budget you can easily get:

2) A good laptop, with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of hard disk. Maybe with a 15" screen, which may be more inconvenient to carry but certainly more comfortable to use (and will probably cost less than a Macbook air). Or if the problem is size, you can find good 13/14" PCs .
2) Do you really need the tablet? If you have to use it for "simple" things, (for example) a Galaxy Tab a8 is also fine.
3) As for the smartwatch, I don't know what advice to give you since I don't use it and I honestly don't know what to do with it.

4) Ecosystem question: in the end Google also has its own ecosystem which works very well. If I take a photo with an Android phone, it will go directly to Google Photos and from there (if I have Google One) I can edit it with many options. If I then install the Google Drive app on a Windows PC, I can indicate the shared photo folder on the "Windows Photos" app and voilà, I find it almost instantly on the Windows PC.
The same thing applies to Google Drive and iCloud drive or to the calendar, which on Google is light years ahead of that of Apple and of course, you can sync the Apple's calendar or Google calendar with Windows.
Maybe it won't be as "smart" as airdrop, but I would say that there are programs that overcome this... and to be honest, you can live without it.

In the end, even if you have an iPhone, you will still use Google services (YouTube, Gmail or Maps for example), so in the end, what exactly do you do with Apple services, which are poorer than Google's (currently)?

If you studied as a graphic designer I could also understand the need to have a good panel in the laptop, but in your case it is not the main thing you need.

And I forgot, you probably won't have to think about which connector to use, given that the world has moved on in recent years and USB-C is now the standard, except for Apple...

yikes

Reactions: arc of the universe

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
lol this has never occurred to you before?
Well like I said it was when considering the combined cost of all devices in one go. I bought all of mine individually so I only consider each price individually. Not that I would want an alternative ecosystem but for the money the OP quoted I could easily get a full ecosystem of android/chrome/windows devices.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I think the thing is that the original poster already has a phone. Paying a lot of money to "simplify" cables is a bit of a stretch to be honest!

Keep the old phone and buy a device with a bigger screen!

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Is a regular 15 better than getting the latest 15 pro max ? 🤔 Because if so , I can squeeze in an ipad air 5 with the base model along with a MacBook air M1 base model , however if not , I can purchase the 15 pro max with the ipad pro M2 and just wait until later for the M3 air
Building Apple Eco system with limited budget is a multiyear thing anyways. What do you value the most?

iPhone? Watch? Mac? iPad? which devices can wait, which is the urgent need?

I could have had higher budget, I never bought all devices in one year. I keep my Mac’s for 5-8 years(5 professional use, 3 more home), Watch usually 4 years or till it breaks, iPhone 6 years, and my iPad Pro probably will last 8 years. Don’t make emotional purchases with FOMO. If I was in your situation I probably would pick iPhone/Mac first and an Apple Watch. Do you really need an iPad Pro and a Mac? I have seen college students buy Macs and get by fine, or some who use iPad Pro and use school computers/servers if they have occasional need for computer. For electric engineering, it’s probably better to buy Mac.
If I was deciding, I probably would do this

1. Get the most Mac I can afford, and stay away from base models. You have an iPhone SE, so might just add a Watch.
2. Next year upgrade iPhone and look at if you really need an iPad Air or iPad pro.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I think the thing is that the original poster already has a phone. Paying a lot of money to "simplify" cables is a bit of a stretch to be honest!

Keep the old phone and buy a device with a bigger screen!

It's not like it would be the only benefit.
15 is a MASSIVE upgrade over SE2022.
But then again, if he's short on budget, he could also buy a Macbook only and delay the iPhone upgrade to maybe the next SE.
About the notebook, I think that 14" M1Pro/M2Pro, lightly used, would be the most sensible purchase for the money.
About the rest of the ecosystem, he can also skip it. Watch is overrated. iPad is also useful only if he plans to use the Pencil extensively, otherwise I would skip it.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
As ever with these things its about "wants" as much as about "needs".

If he's got a phone and needs/wants a computer then the MBA might do. If he wants to consume content on the go, then an iPad works very well indeed. I'd certainly not be without mine, but then again I dont need a "proper" computer on the move, so the iPad with all its interface limitations does the job.

I think what it shows though is quite how expensive the eco system actually is. I'm typing this on a top of the range 2019 Mac mini, whilst wearing my Series 6 watch and around me I have four iPads, two iPhones, an Apple TV and two HomePods - and that's just in my office! Don't want to think how much this has cost me over the years!!

Reactions: Shanghaichica

danielclarkk

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
I would suggest the following devices with such a budget imo:
  1. MacBook Air: Starting around 1100€.
  2. iPad (base model) or iPad Air: Starting around 380€ for the base model, 679€ for the iPad Air.
  3. Apple Watch SE: Starting around 299€.

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023

2) A good laptop, with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of hard disk. Maybe with a 15" screen, which may be more inconvenient to carry but certainly more comfortable to use (and will probably cost less than a Macbook air) than a 13". Or if the problem is size, you can find good 13/14" PCs with a better specs over the Macook air base.

Yeah that's kinda true lol

Reactions: Flowstates

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
I would suggest the following devices with such a budget imo:
  1. MacBook Air: Starting around 1100€.
  2. iPad (base model) or iPad Air: Starting around 380€ for the base model, 679€ for the iPad Air.
  3. Apple Watch SE: Starting around 299€.
I would take others advice out and slowly build my ecosystem up , better invest wisely than build a cheap ecosystem

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
As ever with these things its about "wants" as much as about "needs".

If he's got a phone and needs/wants a computer then the MBA might do. If he wants to consume content on the go, then an iPad works very well indeed. I'd certainly not be without mine, but then again I dont need a "proper" computer on the move, so the iPad with all its interface limitations does the job.

I think what it shows though is quite how expensive the eco system actually is. I'm typing this on a top of the range 2019 Mac mini, whilst wearing my Series 6 watch and around me I have four iPads, two iPhones, an Apple TV and two HomePods - and that's just in my office! Don't want to think how much this has cost me over the years!!
Yeah I agree , it's expensive to go all in once and for all lol

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
It's not like it would be the only benefit.
15 is a MASSIVE upgrade over SE2022.
But then again, if he's short on budget, he could also buy a Macbook only and delay the iPhone upgrade to maybe the next SE.
About the notebook, I think that 14" M1Pro/M2Pro, lightly used, would be the most sensible purchase for the money.
About the rest of the ecosystem, he can also skip it. Watch is overrated. iPad is also useful only if he plans to use the Pencil extensively, otherwise I would skip it.
Given how I have the iphone SE 2022 , my top priority right now is a MacBook and an apple watch or ipad , I could wait until the next 16 series get released anyway or take last year model when it become much more cheaper

Reactions: Flowstates

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
Building Apple Eco system with limited budget is a multiyear thing anyways. What do you value the most?

iPhone? Watch? Mac? iPad? which devices can wait, which is the urgent need?

I could have had higher budget, I never bought all devices in one year. I keep my Mac’s for 5-8 years(5 professional use, 3 more home), Watch usually 4 years or till it breaks, iPhone 6 years, and my iPad Pro probably will last 8 years. Don’t make emotional purchases with FOMO. If I was in your situation I probably would pick iPhone/Mac first and an Apple Watch. Do you really need an iPad Pro and a Mac? I have seen college students buy Macs and get by fine, or some who use iPad Pro and use school computers/servers if they have occasional need for computer. For electric engineering, it’s probably better to buy Mac.
If I was deciding, I probably would do this

1. Get the most Mac I can afford, and stay away from base models. You have an iPhone SE, so might just add a Watch.
2. Next year upgrade iPhone and look at if you really need an iPad Air or iPad pro.
Thank you! Building things slowly and purchasing the latest and the greatest really helps in longevity and resale value afterwards

SloumaGamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2023
hi

great thread.

here are my thoughts.

1 forget about any MacOS device. no longer needed (big exaggeration, but for most people, applicable)

2 iPad Air. With Magic Keyboard. buy a used one -maybe 2 years old.

3 keep your iPhone SE 2022. great phone. period

4 Watch SE - buy a refurbished one from apple if they have them. see if the non-cellular model meets your needs.

5 Air Pods Pro 2 w/apple care +

6 iCloud Drive and iCloud storage plan so that files are accessible across iPhone and iPad.

7 apple one for TV, Music etc, if you extend ecosphere to these types of content

there are three reasons why the above makes sense:

- staying with iOS/iPadOS keeps your original intent of the ecosphere. makes it all just work. MacOS adds complication.
- think of yr iPhone being a computer. its just that the screen is just too small to do work on it. thus, need an iOS device with a larger screen than an iPhone. hence, an iPad.
- the Watch is needed because if it unique and totally different. it is a wearable like the Air Pods. the watch is needed not for its screen size, but because if its sensors and haptic notifications on yr wrist and apple pay on yr wrist.

note: its unfortunate that a Watch needs to be paired with an iPhone.
i have been able to say for me that my Watch is my favourite apple device that of all the apple devices i have ever owned. i dont want to be without it.
the watch can almost replace my iPhone but not quite (specifically referring to some types of email that are rendered on the Watch as documents instead of as text can not be read frequently as the print is too small and no way to enlarge it.), and not enough apps that have bought over to the watch with an app that is a fully functioning version of the iOS/iPadOS app yet. and this situation won't change unless / until apple moves first o make it possible to not need to pair a watch with an iPhone.
Hmm interesting take , I always had a thing or two for ipads since they're just bigger iphones but with multitasking capibility , I would definitely reconsider that

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I wouldn't buy a Magic Keyboard - totally OTT if you are on a budget. Any cheap bluetooth keyboard will work really well - that's what I've been using for years for the few times that I've needed to type anything up on an iPad.

Re the Watch - again it depends what your use of it is going to be. For myself I've no interest in the health stuff or other gimmicks that if offers, I use it as a watch and as a remote control for music for the iPhone. But if you are a jogger/workout enthusiast then yes - fill your boots.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
If you are thinking of an Apple Pencil - have a look at the cheap third party clones. Unless you are an artist, they are perfectly good for note taking, annotation etc. We are talking no more than £25.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.