Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Wait it out. If nothing else you will save money on the 11 Pro Max once the 12 arrives. 7 more months will go by before you know it.
This is what I'll be doing most likely. I have a 7 and battery life seems to be going down by the day. I'd like the 11 non-pro for the battery life and the good price, but it'll be €100 cheaper still once the 11s/12 launches. Only reason to get that model is if it would get the tele lens.

Reactions: draa and Ladybug

egrimo

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Istanbul
In my mind, I always change in 2 years. Right now I don't have money to but I'm gonna switch into 11 Pro Max. I think that 12 won't bring so much features. Even if they did, they continue this for iPhone 12s/13 and I'll be buy that

Reactions: Bethanie21

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
OP- only you can make that decision based on your needs/wants. The 8+ is still a very fast and capable phone and will be for some time.

5G is probably a pipe dream in South Carolina in the near future. so 5G isn‘t key for some folks.
Yup spot on, having a 5G capable phone and usable 5G are two different things. I would not base my decision on whether or not it's 5G capable at all at this time.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
8 Plus owner here, I'm in the same boat as you, but I decided to wait. My 8 Plus works fine, the only reason I want to upgrade is because of the camera. My wife has an Xr and the camera is MUCH better than my 8 Plus, which is why I want a newer iPhone.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
It's 7 months. You will have the next phone for several years so if the reason is you just feel like an upgrade, absolutely wait for the next models. There was a major battery life difference between the XR/XS and the 11 models.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
With a design overhaul on the way it’s easy enough to wait and especially considering the 8+ is still holding its own. If you don’t want the new iPhone 12 there is always the option to buy a discounted 11 Pro around release time too.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
upgrade and then upgrade :)

.....another reason to consider going ahead and buy what your heart likes.
September might be an extended wait

Reactions: m0sher and jimmy_uk

egrimo

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Istanbul
In my mind, I always change in 2 years. Right now I don't have money to but I'm gonna switch into 11 Pro Max. I think that 12 won't bring so much features. Even if they did, they continue this for iPhone 12s/13 and I'll be buy that
crashing myself, I bought 11 and definitely recommend people who's are iPhone 8 or fewer.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
iPhone upgrade program. You could get the 11 Pro now and pay to upgrade early in the fall if you love the new phone. If not keep paying and own the 11 Pro after two years.

The upgrade from X to XS was minimal but I'm really happy with my 11 Pro. I like the extra battery life, night photo mode, and extra lens so much more than my XS.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I'd wait.

I also have an 8+ and it's still suiting my needs quite nicely. I can easily wait until September and see what the new releases look like. And even then, if I don't care for them, I can easily see this phone lasting yet another year.

But each of us values different virtues of any device. What may be great for me and others might not be so for you. Good luck!

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
If you have a good running phone and happy with it, wait. No good reason to upgrade now half way til new model ....

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
5G is probably a pipe dream in South Carolina in the near future. so 5G isn‘t key for some folks.

Carriers are very serious with implementing 5G nationwide. It's the mmwave 5G (super high speed) that's more of a pipe dream for most areas.

Reactions: MartyvH

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I think this depends on any deals, if you want 5G, if you can wait, etc.

I got my Pro Max recently as I was offered $700 trade in to switch to AT&T and give them my iPhone 7.

I don't regret it. I love this device and with all this virus stuff going on, I feel like I had good timing to be honest.

Reactions: Tulani

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012

.....another reason to consider going ahead and buy what your heart likes.
September might be an extended wait

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

We’re having this issue in Maryland as well. Every T-Mobile Store within 100 miles of me only had either the 64GB variant or were sold out completely. My daughter got the purple 11 but in 64GB.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I currently have an 8+ and I'm still happy enough with it than I am parting with money for an 11 Pro to replace it. I'll wait at least until after the 12 has been released and then make up my mind. The old design doesn't bother me, I prefer touch ID, great camera and all the current phones are 4G. If I wait, I have options. Options to get newer, discounted tech with the 11 Pro or whichever model they're selling at the time, go with latest tech and get the 12 and 5G or stick with my 8+ for a while longer. And I won't upgrade at or near launch anymore. I'll wait until there are deals. Upgrading every year or every other year just isn't as necessary as it once was, unless you're really into technology. Just my perspective. If you want something now, go for it. If you can wait, then wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.