Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Intendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2008
unfortunately I have zero coding / writing / programing (etc.) experience.

I think its a genuinely good idea but I'm afraid if i just tell everyone about it some developer will make it and charge for it and its something I'd like to be free for everyone.

If there are any (trustworthy) people who have experience writing iPhone apps on here, please private message me, respond here or email me at JustinCouturier@gmail.com.

Only hint I'll give is that it will use GPS.

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think its a genuinely good idea but I'm afraid if i just tell everyone about it some developer will make it and charge for it and its something I'd like to be free for everyone.

You don't really have to worry. In almost every case if there is a free application there is also a commercial one that does the same thing. What you have to worry about is the other way around. You want to make money so you invest a lot and have something written and then when it comes out 10 other people offer the same thing for free.

If you want to start up a free software project Just do it. Create some mock up of the user interface, write a user manual and make a web site. Get an account on source forge. There are lots of programmers who would work on some cool new idea but what's always lacking is documentation, good web sites and translations to other languages. Get that done and you will be ahead.

So what if some one makes a commercial version. Who'd buy it if your version is free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.