Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RachT123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2023
Hi,

I have had an iPhone XS for around 4 years and I am wondering what I should do really. My battery is very close to the point of needing a replacement. However, for various reasons, getting to an Apple Store is awkward and I cannot be without my phone for around a week, I would strongly prefer not to do it unless it is the best option. I'm also considered that it might only extend the life of my phone by another year

I am struggling to figure out what I should do.

Some options I have considered:
  • Buying a refurbished iPhone 13 from Apple - which would cost me £639.
  • A refurbished iPhone from a company such as musicMagpie - are these companies reputable? Will the phone come with a decent battery health level?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Assuming you purchased your phone somewhere around the release date of your current one, it seems you hang onto your phone for a good amount of time. I would stick to purchasing through the Apple store or your preferred service provider.

If you're going down the refurb route, absolutely do it through Apple. Other prices are tempting from 3rd party services, but they're priced like that for a reason. Buying Apple refurb is essentially buying new with the option to add AppleCare if you wanted to (other refurb services don't have that option) and Apple will essentially replace anything from the battery to the housing if there are scratches or anything else that might not give you that brand new experience right out of the box.

Just make sure you weigh your options to see how much more it would be for a 14 series vs the refurb.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I agree that it's probably worth moving on from XS at this point (you could sell it and get something decent).

The refurbished phones from Apple are pretty good option. You get a modest discount on a phone that is, for all practical purposes, brand new, and you also have the option of getting AppleCare on it if you wish.

It will cost more than buying one from MusicMagpie, CEX or similar, but I think it's worth it in most circumstances. The stuff they sell is mostly fine, but you never quite know what you're getting in terms of battery health, etc.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’ll toss in my recommendation for Apple refurbished also. New battery, new display, Apple warranty, Apple Consumer Law coverage. An iPhone isn’t meant to last forever so you should budget for replacement every 4 years or so.

RachT123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2023
Thanks for the replies so far.

Is there any reason to get the 14 over the 13?

Also, is there any particular sites I could sell my XS on that any of you can recommend?

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Battery exchange takes about an hour with appointment at an apple store. Not a week

To sell swappa, or here on this webpage

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023

Also, is there any particular sites I could sell my XS on that any of you can recommend?
Ebay is good for selling and buying. I got an IPhone on ebay recently, works fine. A relative also brought one refurbished by a third party which works fine. There can be a huge difference in price between Apple refurbished and third party refurbished.

Reactions: RachT123

Bruno de Malaisie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2022
I was in the same case than you.
I've purchased an iPhone 13 in a proper AppleStore(as the price was reduced to the iPhone 13 mini price) and I've gotten a fair trade in for my old iPhone XS.
My brand new iPhone 13 costed me US 539!
I’m lucky to stay in Malaysia as the Apple products there are affordable....

Bruno de Malaisie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2022
Ebay is good for selling and buying. I got an IPhone on ebay recently, works fine. A relative also brought one refurbished by a third party which works fine. There can be a huge difference in price between Apple refurbished and third party refurbished.
Unless you have a good price for the 14, go for the 13 instead... It is a beast and the battery is great, especially compared to the XS...

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
You’d be a good candidate for automated batt optimization. My Aug ‘19 XR batt is fine @92% batt health after nearly 10,000hrs of SOT. We got another year of full iOS17 updates, then maybe another year security updates? I’m curious to see if my batt will still provide >8hrs SOT by then - you know, as a science experiment.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
If you are looking for a new phone in the UK I would recommend taking a look at GiffGaff. Never had an issue with them and you can also pay monthly for the device and source your own sim only deal if that’s something you would rather do. I have only purchased devices “as new” so can’t speak on a lower graded phone.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I had my 8+ battery replaced on the spot and only waited 1 hour so aside from the issue of getting to an apple store, the waiting time is a non issue.

As for refurb, as others said, it's apple or nothing since you actually get a new battery there. With other refurb process, it's likely just a wipedown and a pat - not much different than buying from ebay.

Apple is still releasing some security updates for iOS12 so unless you're a journalist in a sketchy place, we should be ok.

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK
As above, giffgaff or try Mozillion. I am still using my X, got a new battery put in by Apple in December. I was going to pull the trigger on a 13 pro last month but decided to wait until the 15 comes out then decide between a new 15 pro or a deal on a 14 pro. I have had my X since launch so i can wait a few month month. Longest i have every had a phone for.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Since you can't get to an apple store and get a battery swap done while waiting i'd say go for a new phone and sell the XS.
The XS is still a good phone and will be able to run ios 17. That means it has at least a few years life left.

I would go for the iPhone 13 if you don't feel that the few but new features are something you will use.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
If you're happy with the phone then maybe go down the route of the battery swap (£89) might be a pain to reach the store but it's cheaper than getting a newer model plus the XS will support iOS 17 so you're safe there if you can upgrade then why not? the 13 is a decent phone while i haven't used apple refurb it's a safer choice than using CeX or other companies

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

6gb of ram in the standard 14 vs 13. Bit better camera, the satellite sos feature can be useful for some as well. Overall though, it depends on your budget as well. The 13 is still an awesome phone and will still be a big upgrade from your xs

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
Hi,

I have had an iPhone XS for around 4 years and I am wondering what I should do really. My battery is very close to the point of needing a replacement. However, for various reasons, getting to an Apple Store is awkward and I cannot be without my phone for around a week, I would strongly prefer not to do it unless it is the best option. I'm also considered that it might only extend the life of my phone by another year

I am struggling to figure out what I should do.

Some options I have considered:
  • Buying a refurbished iPhone 13 from Apple - which would cost me £639.
  • A refurbished iPhone from a company such as musicMagpie - are these companies reputable? Will the phone come with a decent battery health level?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Get a Refurb 13 it will serve you well many years to come

RachT123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2023
Just wondering if it's worth waiting until September or if I should upgrade now (to guarantee trade in value and that my phone will still be above 80%)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just wondering if it's worth waiting until September or if I should upgrade now (to guarantee trade in value and that my phone will still be above 80%)
Only wait until Sept if you plan on getting a 15, otherwise just purchase a 13 or 14 and trade in your current phone. There is no point in denying yourself a new phone for 3 months as, although there will be a minor price drop on the 14, the value of your trade in will be reduced too.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
3 months from now is a drop in the bucket in comparison to how long you've had your phone. Go all out with the 15 and be happy for another 5-6 years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.