Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I have finished my works closed the lid and went outside after a few hours when i returned home i found my 16 mpb running with closed lid and was extemely hot.

at this point does this situation cause a permanent performance drop due possible hardware damage and does this damage to LCD because of closed lid exposure to extreme hot

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Probably not, but the only way to be sure is to have a close look and see. If everything seems normal, it probably is.

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
To be safe, put your MBP into sleep mode manually before closing the lid.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have finished my works closed the lid and went outside after a few hours when i returned home i found my 16 mpb running with closed lid and was extemely hot.

at this point does this situation cause a permanent performance drop due possible hardware damage and does this damage to LCD because of closed lid exposure to extreme hot

1. Update macOS to the latest version.
2. See what apps were running when this happened, or take care to note which apps are running when you leave it to sleep next time.

Updating macOS might take care of something if it was at fault to begin with, otherwise it would be some app going rogue. Update the apps to their respective latest versions as well.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Probably not, but the only way to be sure is to have a close look and see. If everything seems normal, it probably is.

i have concerns about hardware damage, benchmark scores are ok but is that enough to prove there is no damage, also speakers may be effected but i do not know how to check

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
i have concerns about hardware damage, benchmark scores are ok but is that enough to prove there is no damage, also speakers may be effected but i do not know how to check
If you don't notice any in your benchmarks and ear test, you're probably fine. Even with a new MBP there's no way to be completely sure there's nothing abnormal about it, so you just run a few tests and assume it's likely OK.

If you did notice something different about your speakers, there are online tests for certain things, depending on what you noticed.

thvardhan

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
hey, I had a similar experience a year ago. I had Bootcamp running at my school and due to a sudden announcement call, I had to close the lid of mbp and put it in the backpack. When I returned (after like an hour) it was scalding. temperatures were possibly about 95c I was not able to measure them though. I had 100% battery that was drained to 6% in a matter of minutes. Later I put the mbp almost inside an Air con for faster cooling and checking after that, everything was fine. I am using the same mbp for over a year now and I haven't faced any issues. My concern was that Bootcamp disables the apple's throttling optimizations or so I've heard but things were fine.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
To be safe, put your MBP into sleep mode manually before closing the lid.

In addition to manually putting your computer to sleep by clicking on the Apple in the upper left corner and selecting Sleep, there is a keyboard shortcut:

ALT/OPT + CMD + Eject
(i.e., ⌥ + ⌘ + ⏏).

For newer MacBook Pro's with no eject button, you can add the sleep button as a permanent Touch Bar shortcut:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
This happens a lot when I used to run Parallels 8h a day.

Make sure you sleep your computer or if you running parallels to follow the sleep pattern as the Mac and not the Windows counter part.

Best advice is allows to manual sleep to avoid any background process running (besides Time Machine)

halfmanhalfbeast

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2021
I have been battling this same problem. It's happened over and over for a couple of years. A few months ago I changed internet providers and began using jetpacks and hotspots to connect, and I noticed that when I kept all my connections set to not connect automatically I did not have any problem with macbook heating up and my battery would not drain at all. I can leave it for 3 days with lid closed and I never lose more than 1-2% battery, whereas before I would lose the entire battery in a few hours, sometimes faster. I have tried everything, but this one setting has stopped the problem all together. Perhaps it will work for others. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.