Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kantgittrite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2024
Hello MacPro family,

I'm sorry if these questions have been answered already, but I couldn't find them.

I just received my MacPro 5,1 3.20GHz YaaaaaaY. I have maybe many questions.

First, I'm not worried about no warranty because of the age.

Second, I'm not using it online for any browsing. I use my pc laptop for that. This is for video editing only.

Third, it came with fresh install of 10.10, 3.20GHz, 4 core, A1289. I know that I can upgrade to 12core.

My question is can I keep my 3.20GHz with the 12 core? And is this compatible with the 12core Westmere? Am I able to max out the RAM to 128GB? Am I able to remove the DVD drive to install 2 SSD's? What's the best NVidia or AMD card for this model, that can support 3 monitors? Am I able to run 500GB SSD PCie card as C-Drive?

I have the 10.9.5 Intel model MacPro 2,1 2x2.66GHz Quad core, maxed out 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD C-drive, 3 x 2TB HDD at RAID0, remove dvd player and replaced with 2 x 480GB SSD's @ RAID0, Radeon 7950 Videocard

I'll continue to use my old one til the 5,1 is upgraded like I want it.

Thank you for responses, in advance

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Third, it came with fresh install of 10.10, 3.20GHz, 4 core, A1289. I know that I can upgrade to 12core.

A single CPU can be upgraded to a hexa-core, you need to change the CPU tray for a dual CPU one if you want to have dual CPUs.

My question is can I keep my 3.20GHz with the 12 core?

Yes, you can even upgrade to the X5690 (3.46Ghz hexa core). This is the reference stickie thread for Mac Pro CPU upgrades, read the first post:

And is this compatible with the 12core Westmere?

Single CPU tray can run 1x Westmere Xeon, dual CPU tray can run two.

Am I able to max out the RAM to 128GB?

Single CPU can run 4x 16GB DIMMs, dual CPU can run 8x 16GB DIMMs.

Am I able to remove the DVD drive to install 2 SSD's?

Yes.
What's the best NVidia or AMD card for this model,

You need to read more about this, this question have multiple answers depending on the way you gonna install the GPU, the macOS release you want to run, the amount you want to spend and etc.

that can support 3 monitors?

If you buy a GPU that offer 3 displays support with macOS, yes. Not all PC GPUs work with 3 displays when installed in a Mac Pro.

Am I able to run 500GB SSD PCie card as C-Drive?

Yes, if it's one compatible with a Mac Pro:

Kantgittrite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2024
A single CPU can be upgraded to a hexa-core, you need to change the CPU tray for a dual CPU one if you want to have dual CPUs.

Yes, you can even upgrade to the X5690 (3.46Ghz hexa core). This is the reference stickie thread for Mac Pro CPU upgrades, read the first post:

Single CPU tray can run 1x Westmere Xeon, dual CPU tray can run two.

Single CPU can run 4x 16GB DIMMs, dual CPU can run 8x 16GB DIMMs.

Yes.

You need to read more about this, this question have multiple answers depending on the way you gonna install the GPU, the macOS release you want to run, the amount you want to spend and etc.

If you buy a GPU that offer 3 displays support with macOS, yes. Not all PC GPUs work with 3 displays when installed in a Mac Pro.

Yes, if it's one compatible with a Mac Pro:

Tsialex, thank you for all of your input. And sorry for my delayed response. I was able to upgrade to 12core 3.46GHz and 128 RAM. GPU is next project.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

Kantgittrite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2024
I have another question is
ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports 4 NVMe M.2 compatible with our 2012 MacPro 5,1?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have another question is
ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports 4 NVMe M.2 compatible with our 2012 MacPro 5,1?

No, not a compatible card. No Mac supports PCIe lane split, also called bifurcation.

See the Don't buy PCIe adapters list: table on the end of the first post of the sticky thread:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.