Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
I switch iPhones 2 or 3 time a year, and Without fail, there will be some text messages missing after migration.

Back in the day, a “full back up“ meant that you saved a hard copy of the entire phone on your computer using iTunes, and when you restored that backup to a new iPhone, everything was exactly how you left it, down to the wallpaper.

Now days, it seems that “full backups” don’t really back everything up and after you restore from the computer, I still have to wait for the files to download from the cloud…

If that wasn’t bad enough, after waiting for hours, you still don’t get all your messages! And this happens to me every single time. For years and I don’t know why Apple hasn’t fixed it yet period I even created a new iCloud account thinking that would help, but no.

Attachments are hit or miss. Sometimes they display, but other times, they’ll show only a white white box, and nothing happens when you tap download.

Comparing the storage of the two devices in the settings, The old one says “Messages 45 GB, while the new one is only 3 How can it be that be that a full back up doesn’t restore everything?

How can I transfer my entire iMessage database to the new phone?

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.