Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
TL;DR: You probably don't want it.

Hi all,

I've used the 16" Huawei / Honor MagicBook Pro (yes, that's its real name!) for a week now and wanted to give a review.

The reason I bought it:

I liked the idea of the Surface Laptop 3, basically an ultrabook with a larger screen. Not much performance, just a light computer with a big screen.

What I like:

I'm pleasantly surprised with the build quality and the size and weight compared to the screen size.
The laptop is about 1.7 kilos, pretty thin, nice silver aluminium. It's not a perfect unibody like the Macbook, but I can forgive that given the price.

The screen is a middle of the road screen and I kind of like it. The 1080p resolution would probably too little for some, but I don't mind it at all. It's only 300 Nits, but it's got a matte finish so the 300 nits are okay for bright rooms and even outside, as long as there's no direct sunlight. The bezels are so tiny that it looks very premium.

The trackpad is great for Windows laptop, as long as you use gestures. The buttons sound pretty cheap and don't feel great.

The port selection is relatively generous for a 2019 laptop: 3 USB A, 1 USB C, HDMI, headphone jack.

The speakers are well positioned and very clear. Price / performance is pretty good.

What I dislike:

So, they keyboard is pretty much terrible. Not Butterfly terrible, it's worse. It barely has any travel, and at the same time, the keys lack the stability the Butterfly keys have. The backlight is - frankly - a joke. I've never seen anything like it. Even in a pitch black room it's hard to make out the backlit keys.

The speakers, while well positioned and clear, don't get very loud and have zero bass. Listening to music? Enjoy half the song. Want to use headphones? Enjoy permanent buzzing / humming.

Battery life is a joke and a half. The 57 wh battery lasts for four hours, if that.

I'm still struggling to remove the glue from those "Intel Inside" sticker on the base, by the way.

Due to import taxes (the laptop only ships from China at this point), you can basically add 20% of the sticker price, meaning it's not even that cheap.

My configuration (i5-8250u, MX250, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM) cost 900 Euros shipped and delivered.

Lesson learned:

Buy cheap, buy twice. I could live with the minor flaws this computer has, but the keyboard is frankly unusable.

I don't know if there's another laptop in this very narrow category of mine, so I might just get the X1 Extreme 2nd Gen next.

schmenni

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
actually i was also interested in the notebook, but for me, the part with the sound is a bummer.

i do have some questions about it though, could you start a conversation?
no idea how one sends messages here..

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So the impression that Huawei makes cheap knockoff MacBooks running an inferior OS for a high price is mostly accurate?

Cool you got to try the machine, though

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
actually i was also interested in the notebook, but for me, the part with the sound is a bummer.

i do have some questions about it though, could you start a conversation?
no idea how one sends messages here..

You can just ask here, I'd be happy to reply!

schmenni

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
"don't get very loud and have zero bass "
cant you change that with dolby sound configuration? i thought it has the dolby license?

"headphones? Enjoy permanent buzzing / humming. "
is this with every headphone, this shouldnt be normal..

is there screen bleeding present? how is the blacks level?

what about the fans? are they off when doing office work?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.