Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cwalk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
last Wednesday I got the new mini and I’ve been using it everyday. I had bought the 3rd gen pro 12.9 when it came out and I loved it, but I ultimately decided to return it due to it not being portable and I only would use it at home.

The mini has been great as far as being able to just throw it in my small sling bag and go. But, I don’t know if I’m truly enjoying the iPad because it’s small, or if it’s just because it’s a new toy.

My question is for folks that decide to get the air. Did you upgrade from a mini? Is the air that much heavier than the mini? Do you appreciate the larger screen size? Any other pros vs cons? Thanks

Lola Joseph

Suspended
Apr 2, 2019
Air is obviously heavier but not by much. The mini was barely a step up from my phone, so I went with the Air.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Nothing wrong with having both the mini and the Air.

However, in my case having the 10.5” (Pro in my case) means I don’t have much use for a mini, since the 10.5” is already portable enough for my preference.

Like you though, the 12.9” is way too big.

One thing about the 10.5” is that it actually supports a decent sized keyboard so for some usage it can actually replace a laptop. The Apple Smart Keyboard adds a bit of weight and thickness, but it’s still quite portable so I’m very happy with that setup.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
last Wednesday I got the new mini and I’ve been using it everyday. I had bought the 3rd gen pro 12.9 when it came out and I loved it, but I ultimately decided to return it due to it not being portable and I only would use it at home.

The mini has been great as far as being able to just throw it in my small sling bag and go. But, I don’t know if I’m truly enjoying the iPad because it’s small, or if it’s just because it’s a new toy.

My question is for folks that decide to get the air. Did you upgrade from a mini? Is the air that much heavier than the mini? Do you appreciate the larger screen size? Any other pros vs cons? Thanks

I’ve been carrying a 12.9 since gen one launched in 2015. How is it not portable? It’s thinner and weighs less than a MacBook. People have been carrying around laptops that are much heavier and larger for years. You’d have to buy Apples 12 inch MacBook to get close to the the 12.9 size wise. Otherwise you’d be carrying something bigger than the 12.9.

The Air 3 sounds like it would be a great go between size for you.

Reactions: Davefevs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.