Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
and let’s not even get started with apples strange auto correct altering entire paragraphs as you’re fighting the keyboard

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Peak keyboard on an Apple laptop for me was my 2011 Macbook Air. That keyboard was PERFECT. I'm also a previous Thinkpad user with the original style keyboard (like the T61 mentioned previously).

Since then I've actually enjoyed the 12" 2017 keyboard a decent amount (what a shock!) and am struggling to like the keyboard on my M2 Air.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I never ran into an issue with the butterfly keyboard myself and did like it too but similarly I've had no issues with the ones on the M series macbooks either. I cant recall it not registering a key press over the years I have been using it. I did just try pressing corners of keys and found one key where if I hit it just right it wont register despite depressing fully but that was pretty hard to do. I suppose if someone has a typing pattern that regularly contacted keys in that way they could see more key presses not registering.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Update: today I spent many hours programming on my MBP 14" M2 Pro and it was way better, I just was more careful when typing. Still not an excuse for the keyboard.

I'm still getting missing first letter a lot though, not sure if that's software or hardware. Happens especially in the Messages app. I go back to this app, start typing and the first character is not there very often.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I sometimes miss my 2016 MBP's butterfly keyboard. It was loud, the keystrokes were short, but they were really positive. The space grey between the keys was nicer to look at than the black background of my current 14" M1 Max MBP. The new one is quieter, but feels spongy, and the keys became really shiny wherever my fingers tend to hit them most often. I do have odd skin oils that do the same to many fabrics over time, so that last part is at least partially a me problem.

The keyboard is...fine. It does the job. I miss the old chiclet keyboard from my 2008 17" MBP, that thing was great.

Reactions: smirking

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
are you eating your sandwiches over your keyboard? Ive been using macs since 2010 (including 2017 butterfly) and I have never had a faulty keyboard as I don't eat around my mac. I would wager that food/drink is the #1 culprit.
Nope, I don't. And my MacBook is just a couple of days old.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Update: today I spent many hours programming on my MBP 14" M2 Pro and it was way better, I just was more careful when typing. Still not an excuse for the keyboard.

I'm still getting missing first letter a lot though, not sure if that's software or hardware. Happens especially in the Messages app. I go back to this app, start typing and the first character is not there very often.
Wonder if this is somehow related to the mouse pointer problem with Sonoma?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
How often do you clean your keyboard and under the keys? I had sticky keys once and someone here pointed me to using canned air or a blower to clean out under the keycaps. And that fixed the problem. So doing that once a month or more frequently if you live in an environment with particles may help keep the keyboard working properly.

I bought my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16 in November 2021 and the keyboard has been fine with regular cleaning.

I also run a microfiber cloth over the top case and keys from time to time.

My preferred keyboard is with Cherry Blues but the MacBook Pro keyboards work fine for me too. Good feedback, and I don't get the missed or double-keys.

My best MacBook Pro keyboards of all time were 2007-2008. Nicely curved keys, great travel. The travel was mushy which is completely different after 2015. After 2015, it seems like the approach is very little key travel and a clicky for feedback. I can live with either but I prefer noisy keys with a fair amount of finger pressure to activate.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
How often do you clean your keyboard and under the keys? I had sticky keys once and someone here pointed me to using canned air or a blower to clean out under the keycaps. And that fixed the problem. So doing that once a month or more frequently if you live in an environment with particles may help keep the keyboard working properly.

I bought my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16 in November 2021 and the keyboard has been fine with regular cleaning.

I also run a microfiber cloth over the top case and keys from time to time.

My preferred keyboard is with Cherry Blues but the MacBook Pro keyboards work fine for me too. Good feedback, and I don't get the missed or double-keys.

My best MacBook Pro keyboards of all time were 2007-2008. Nicely curved keys, great travel. The travel was mushy which is completely different after 2015. After 2015, it seems like the approach is very little key travel and a clicky for feedback. I can live with either but I prefer noisy keys with a fair amount of finger pressure to activate.
My MacBook is week old, so...

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Mine was 2 months old before I needed to clean it.

It's like a new car. You can get into an accident driving off the lot.
Unfortunate comparison. My keyboard was like that out of the box. How does it make sense to compare dirt buildup (that obviously takes at least some time) to an accident?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Unfortunate comparison. My keyboard was like that out of the box. How does it make sense to compare dirt buildup (that obviously takes at least some time) to an accident?

Exchange it then.

It may be a defect or something got in in the manufacturing and packaging process.

Apple has QC problems here and there.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Exchange it then.

Agree with that.

To the OP, if it bothers you enough, exchange it. If the exchange is also similar, I do believe there's a chance it'll get better with some wearing in.

I am one of those "professional typists" that someone alluded to. When people complained about this in January of 2021, I tried it out and realized that it was possible if I struck the keys just right even though it never happened to me during normal use.

When you posted this, it reminded me that I confirmed this issue in my first month of ownership. Now it's so hard to reproduce that I have to use the edge of a fingernail to make it happen.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am one of those "professional typists" that someone alluded to. When people complained about this in January of 2021, I tried it out and realized that it was possible if I struck the keys just right even though it never happened to me during normal use.

These were launched in November 2021. Do you mean the M1 MacBook Air/Pro 13 models?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I hate the shiny keys after two weeks of use. Accuracy has been fine though.

I waited many years in the hope that Apple would someday be the one company to introduce a hard key cap material or coating that would eliminate SKS (Shiny Key Syndrome). Nowadays I have zero anticipation of Cook’s Apple ever investing the effort into it. A small thing but super annoying when your year-old MacBook looks like it’s done a hundred thousand miles 🫤

Reactions: Technerd108

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
I waited many years in the hope that Apple would someday be the one company to introduce a hard key cap material or coating that would eliminate SKS (Shiny Key Syndrome). Nowadays I have zero anticipation of Cook’s Apple ever investing the effort into it. A small thing but super annoying when your year-old MacBook looks like it’s done a hundred thousand miles 🫤
I have never seen any keyboard that looks as shiny after a while as these. Even my MacBook Air was fine in that regard.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

They would need to use PBT plastic, which has a more limited color range and is more brittle so it has to be made thicker. It's not about effort. The kind of keycap you envision doesn't exist. The laptops would need to get thicker and they probably won't get as dark of a black color.

PBT plastic still gets shiny though. It just takes longer and is typically harder to see due to the matte finish, but in a black color, it would be more noticeable. In fact, I'm typing on some super shiny PBT black keycaps right now. They're the shiniest PBT keycaps I've owned.

These were launched in November 2021. Do you mean the M1 MacBook Air/Pro 13 models?

I'm referring to an earlier post I made. I'm talking about my M1 MBP keyboard that had a similar issue when I first got it, but the problem has since vanished. At least in my case, it took some breaking in.

I also didn't much like the keyboard feel when I first got it. It was too spongy. It feels much more crisp and tactile after 2 years of regular use.

Last edited:

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
They would need to use PBT plastic, which has a more limited color range and is more brittle so it has to be made thicker. It's not about effort. The kind of keycap you envision doesn't exist. The laptops would need to get thicker and they probably won't get as dark of a black color.

PBT plastic still gets shiny though. It just takes longer and is typically harder to see due to the matte finish, but in a black color, it would be more noticeable. In fact, I'm typing on some super shiny PBT black keycaps right now. They're the shiniest PBT keycaps I've owned.
What are you talking about? There are dozens of great dark keyboards that don't get shiny over time whatsoever and some of them are in ultra thin machines.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
What are you talking about? There are dozens of great dark keyboards that don't get shiny over time whatsoever and some of them are in ultra thin machines.

All keys get shiny. It's just a matter of how fast it happens and how much you notice. It may well be the black colorway you saw does exist, but the less shiny options are PBT plastics, which are brittle when made thin and harder to get in precise coloring.

Here's a quick explainer on the two types of plastics used in making key caps:

Last edited:
Reactions: kitKAC

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The kind of keycap you envision doesn't exist.

I know. That’s why I hoped Apple would someday develop it. But nowadays I expect them to develop cheaper materials over better ones, so all hope is lost ☹️

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
All keys get shiny. It's just a matter of how fast it happens and how much you notice. It may well be the colorway does exist. I'm not that aware of the colors available, but the less shiny options are PBT plastics and they're more brittle with less precise colors.
We are not saying that eventually material will wear off. What we are saying is after very minimal use the keyboard looks terrible. I have three ultra thin Windows laptops right now. 2 I am testing that are new and one a year old and no shiny keys. I have had Surface laptops, Surface pro keyboards and many other and never ever saw anything like it. Back in the day when the caps were printed on they would wear off. But all modern Windows laptops including super ultra thin laptops like galaxybook pro/Ultra have black keycaps and don't suffer from the same issue. It is an Apple issue and it has nothing to do with we can't make a durable keycap....

Multiple Macbook Pros and now macBook air have had this problem. At least a 5 year issue?

Heck, cheap Chromebooks have more durable keyboards. it is a joke. There is no defense of it.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
We are not saying that eventually material will wear off. What we are saying is after very minimal use the keyboard looks terrible... Heck, cheap Chromebooks have more durable keyboards. it is a joke. There is no defense of it.

Ya, I'm aware of the context and I agree. For whatever reason, Apple chooses the keycaps they do and it's much easier to notice them getting shiny faster than just about any other keyboard I've laid my fingers on... and it totally sucks.

I'm not entirely sure that they're actually absorbing more oil than other ABS plastic keycaps though. If you grab a flashlight and closely inspect keycaps that don't look shiny to you, you'll notice they actually are shinier than you realize. The exact finish just changes how noticeable it is and for whatever reason, Apple insists on using a finish that makes it more noticeable.

I'm looking at my ancient 2009 MBP. Even to this day, the keycaps look perfectly fine... until I grab a flashlight.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Ya, I'm aware of the context and I agree. For whatever reason, Apple chooses the keycaps they do and it's much easier to notice them getting shiny faster than just about any other keyboard I've laid my fingers on... and it totally sucks.

I'm not entirely sure that they're actually absorbing more oil than other ABS plastic keycaps though. If you grab a flashlight and closely inspect keycaps that don't look shiny to you, you'll notice they actually are shinier than you realize. The exact finish just changes how noticeable it is and for whatever reason, Apple insists on using a finish that makes it more noticeable.

I'm looking at my ancient 2009 MBP. Even to this day, the keycaps look perfectly fine... until I grab a flashlight.

The silver color really helps.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The silver color really helps.

I believe the silver keys ended with the 2008 model. Here's what my 2009 Unibody keyboard looks like. Depending on where the light hits, it's either new looking or very shiny.

I think these keys collected oil just as fast, but they just didn't look as shiny because the finish was more forgiving.

IMG_9709.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.