Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I hope this new OS X fixes the Yosemite boot issue... I don't know about you, but both my Macs on Yosemite boot to a black screen with a progress bar after the Apple Logo and Chime... looks crappy

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
I hope this new OS X fixes the Yosemite boot issue... I don't know about you, but both my Macs on Yosemite boot to a black screen with a progress bar after the Apple Logo and Chime... looks crappy

I don't believe that's an issue, that's simply the new boot screen.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I don't believe that's an issue, that's simply the new boot screen.

Eh... It's def. not the most ideal boot. It never did that before Yosemite... It's a black screen and a progress bar in the bottom left corner... no need for it – it's ugly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's not a bug or an issue but a design choice.

I've not liked the OS X boot up screen since they got rid of the happy mac.
Happy-Mac.png

Reactions: nontroppo

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
At least with Yosemite, I believe there are two boot screens. Anything that was upgraded to Yosemite had a grey screen with a progress bar, and anything that came with Yosemite had a black screen with a progress bar.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I do too. I've "restarted" my rMBP only to have it NOT come back on. Then I have to get it out of its stand, unhook it's wires, open it, and hit the power button.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Agreed with other posters, that's not an issue. It's by design. I wish my iMac would boot with the black screen. So tired of the gray boot screen. Been the same for over 10 years.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think the Yosemite boot screen is perfect. Think about it, it's simple, no screen flashes, and the progress bar is accurate, it takes into account everything from POST to EFI to OS X boot and Login screen. It's a single progress bar for the ENTIRE boot process, something that has never been done before. On Windows you get a black and white pixellated manufacturer logo, a flash on the screen, then a blinking cursor, then some white DOS text, then you may get a progress bar for your BIOS, then a Windows animation logo that just animates for an unknown amount of time, and then ANOTHER loading screen that logs you on.

On Mavericks, you had an Apple logo, then a blue screen, then a slightly different colored blue screen, then black then blue again, then you got the login screen. Now the whole thing is ONE screen, and that one screen tells you all you need to know: the progress. To me that's very Apple-like, simple, elegant and it makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.