Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, I've read everywhere and to no avail so I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a 2009 Mac Pro (flashed to 5.1) and I bought an XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition (https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-1386MHz-Graphics-RX-580P8DFD6/dp/B072B6W44N) to upgrade from an HD 7950, and all I get is a black screen with a chime about every 5 mins. I know it's not the Sapphire Pulse, but I've seen people online use the XFX on a Mac Pro and it works just fine. Some FYIs to get started with:

I don't have file vault
I'm running High Sierra
I'm using the 2 mini 6-pin to 8-pin
I tried command + R, nothing
I tried safe mode, nothing
I've reset the PRAM, nothing
I've already tried everything here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/problem-getting-a-rx580-card-running-on-mac-pro-5-1.2158167/ and nothing
The light from the card is on, and the fans function normally
There's nothing wrong with the cable or monitor, because my 7950 works just fine
There are no other cards installed

I've tried:
Connecting monitor through different cables (HDMI and DVI)
Not connecting monitor at all
Plugging into different PCI slot
Accessing computer from another one on the network

What else could be happening?? Thanks in advance

[edit: added what I've tried, chiming every 5 min]

Last edited:

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2010
What is the native resolution of your monitor?

I had similar issues with my 980TI without an EFI bios (no boot screen) and early versions of 4K monitors. It's one of the reasons I broke down and had it flashed years ago... If it didn't get a signal on boot it would never display. I knew this was the case as I could get a low res DVI monitor and plug it in after waiting enough time for it to boot to a desktop, sure enough once I plugged it in there was my desktop...

May not be your issue, but just a thought. Might be worth trying to plug in another monitor after waiting long enough for it to boot...

mrzeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
So, even if no monitor connected. Still no chime?

Now it's chiming pretty much every time I turn it on, whether it's connected to a monitor or not. And then it chimes every 5 minutes.
[doublepost=1568818045][/doublepost]
What is the native resolution of your monitor?

I had similar issues with my 980TI without an EFI bios (no boot screen) and early versions of 4K monitors. It's one of the reasons I broke down and had it flashed years ago... If it didn't get a signal on boot it would never display. I knew this was the case as I could get a low res DVI monitor and plug it in after waiting enough time for it to boot to a desktop, sure enough once I plugged it in there was my desktop...

May not be your issue, but just a thought. Might be worth trying to plug in another monitor after waiting long enough for it to boot...

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a 1080 monitor and sadly even without the monitor plugged in it doesn't complete turning on.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
what OS are you on?
do you have windows installed? can you boot there to see if there is a problem? (Linux to works)
do you have more than one cable to test with?
can you use a different output on the card to test?
try a different PCI slot
is the card new or used? (if used may have crazy mining bios on it like my card had)
if you have a second computer can you remote in to the macpro when booted?

mrzeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
what OS are you on?
do you have windows installed? can you boot there to see if there is a problem? (Linux to works)
do you have more than one cable to test with?
can you use a different output on the card to test?
try a different PCI slot
is the card new or used? (if used may have crazy mining bios on it like my card had)
if you have a second computer can you remote in to the macpro when booted?

I'm on High Sierra, I do not have Windows, tried with more than one cable, both HDMI and DVI, and putting the card in another PCI slot; all don't change anything sadly and the computer doesn't show up in the network for remote.

Oh, and the card is brand new.

Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
there is a switch next to the 8 pin, shutdown, flip switch, re boot
10_thumb.jpg

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
yes, I bought from Amazon so that’s next thing it seems I need to do.
Have you tried different bios from here:

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Hi all, I've read everywhere and to no avail so I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a 2009 Mac Pro (flashed to 5.1) and I bought an XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition (https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-1386MHz-Graphics-RX-580P8DFD6/dp/B072B6W44N) to upgrade from an HD 7950, and all I get is a black screen with a chime about every 5 mins. I know it's not the Sapphire Pulse, but I've seen people online use the XFX on a Mac Pro and it works just fine. Some FYIs to get started with:

I don't have file vault
I'm running High Sierra
Try installing Mojave on a spare hard drive this will also update your boot rom. I have a feeling this is required to allow use of non apple video cards.

mrzeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Have you tried different bios from here:

I have not, but will try

It sounds like you might be stuck in a boot loop caused by Kernel Panic at boot time. Hard to tell without boot screens.

Put your good GPU in, copy the crash log, and post it here.

Hopefully I'm doing this right, but here it is:

{"postTime":1568513671227.281,"events":[{"AutoUnlock-daysSinceLastKeystateReady":0,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-success":3,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-softfail":0,"AutoUnlock-OQNOE":1,"AutoUnlock-daysSinceClassCSync":0,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-success":3,"Engram-TLKs":1,"ApplePay-inSync":1,"Health-TLKs":1,"eventTime":1568513671222.011,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-success":3,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-hardfail":0,"Manatee-daysSinceLastKeystateReady":0,"AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-success":3,"ApplePay-daysSinceClassCSync":0,"ApplePay-daysSinceLastKeystateReady":0,"someKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"someValue","ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-hardfail":0,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-hardfail":0,"Engram-inSyncA":1,"Manatee-inSync":1,"topic":"xp_sear_keysync","Health-inSyncA":1,"success_count":32,"Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-success":3,"ApplePay-OQNOE":1,"Engram-OQNOE":1,"AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-hardfail":0,"ApplePay-TLKs":1,"Health-IQNOE":1,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-hardfail":0,"hard_failure_count":0,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-hardfail":0,"AutoUnlock-daysSinceClassASync":0,"ApplePay-inSyncA":1,"build":"17G7024","AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-softfail":0,"lastInCircle":0,"Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-success":3,"Manatee-TLKs":1,"Health-daysSinceClassASync":0,"ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-softfail":0,"AutoUnlock-inSyncC":1,"AutoUnlock-inSyncA":1,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-success":3,"AutoUnlock-TLKs":1,"ApplePay-IQNOE":1,"Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-softfail":0,"Health-daysSinceClassCSync":0,"ApplePay-daysSinceClassASync":0,"Engram-inSync":1,"Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-softfail":0,"Manatee-daysSinceClassCSync":0,"Manatee-inSyncA":1,"ApplePay-inSyncC":1,"Engram-daysSinceClassASync":0,"ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-hardfail":0,"AutoUnlock-inSync":1,"Engram-daysSinceLastKeystateReady":0,"Health-OQNOE":1,"ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-success":4,"AutoUnlock-IQNOE":1,"anotherKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"anotherValue","AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-hardfail":0,"Engram-daysSinceClassCSync":0,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-softfail":0,"Manatee-daysSinceClassASync":0,"Health-daysSinceLastKeystateReady":0,"soft_failure_count":0,"Manatee-inSyncC":1,"inCircle":1,"Health-inSync":1,"Manatee-OQNOE":1,"product":"Mac OS X","Engram-inSyncC":1,"eventType":"ckksHealthSummary","Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-hardfail":0,"ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-softfail":0,"lastUnlock":0,"Health-inSyncC":1,"ApplePay-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-success":4,"AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-success":3,"Engram-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassC-softfail":0,"Manatee-IQNOE":1,"Health-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-hardfail":0,"Manatee-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-softfail":0,"Engram-IQNOE":1,"AutoUnlock-CKKSEventProcessIncomingQueueClassA-softfail":0},{"CKDKVS-outgoingMessages":22,"anotherKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"anotherValue","CKDKVS-incomingMessages":18,"eventType":"sosHealthSummary","product":"Mac OS X","CKDKVS-synchronize":22,"CKDKVS-synchronizeWithCompletionHandler":0,"CKDKVS-totalWaittimeSynchronize":0,"topic":"xp_sear_keysync","eventTime":1568513671224.582,"soft_failure_count":0,"hard_failure_count":0,"CKDKVS-longestWaittimeSynchronize":0,"someKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"someValue","CKDKVS-synchronizeFailures":0,"success_count":0,"build":"17G7024"},{"roll":-1,"anotherKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"anotherValue","eventType":"pcsHealthSummary","product":"Mac OS X","topic":"xp_sear_keysync","eventTime":1568513671227.0251,"soft_failure_count":0,"hard_failure_count":0,"someKeyToPassRightBackToServerOnEventSend":"someValue","shouldRoll":0,"success_count":0,"build":"17G7024"}]}

Try installing Mojave on a spare hard drive this will also update your boot rom. I have a feeling this is required to allow use of non apple video cards.

I will try that, thank you.

Are you on 10.13 or 10.13.6? AFAIK the latter is required to run the RX580

I am indeed on 10.13.6 :(

mrzeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
HOWEVER!! I just received the Sapphire Pulse, and it worked instantly! Seems it's an issue with XFX, unless I received a bad one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Has anyone here had good luck with the XFX RX 580? Just to know how to review it for others.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
there has always been a few cards that just don't work as well, iv seen reports of it from the GTX6xx years and newer (that's when i got my first GPU).

tends to range from 1 port not working on card too 2-3 ports not working or just cards not working.
(sometimes only a problem after a bios flash with a mac rom)
always seems random (to me) different brands tend to have the problem at one point.

:) you did the right thing, get the card that wont waist your time just trying to get it work and spend your time doing things that use the card.

if your not sick of playing with your GPU drop by here

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
HOWEVER!! I just received the Sapphire Pulse, and it worked instantly! Seems it's an issue with XFX, unless I received a bad one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Has anyone here had good luck with the XFX RX 580? Just to know how to review it for others.

XFX AMD cards are a known problem starting with HD7000/R9 generation. Sorry I didn't spot the obvious in your first post.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
yep in the past it's been a problem, i did not mention it as i was sure there has been a report of an XFX card working.

doing a look and it's XFX VEGA listed
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56

These graphics cards are based on the AMD Vega 56 architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Vega 56 and XFX Vega 56.
smae for vega 64

was sure there was a refrence to the 580 to but must be my mistake

also looks like gomac had one working maybe?
not clear but he talks about testing and his power use with card

but maybe the XFX pre vega are no go

Reactions: ActionableMango

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Netherlands

I bought a XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB GDDR5 (3x DP, DVI-D, HDMI) and that card worked OOB; no bootscreens, but hey thats no big deal. Still got my original ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.