Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
It boots to the white background with gray apple and then shuts off immediately, and when I boot it again it does the same thing.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Can you give us more info about the situation? Which Mac model, what mods, what OS are you coming from?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Did you have any issues prior to moving to El Capitan? Was it a clean install or updating existing boot drive?

Do you have a bootable back up or another Mac?

If you hold in alt/option at the chime, do you see your boot disk? Or does it just shut down?

Can you boot into recovery mode? Or internet recovery mode?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
no issues before.

i just tried and I found that I can boot into recovery mode alright.
I hope i didn't lose all the files in there.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
no issues before.

i just tried and I found that I can boot into recovery mode alright.
I hope i didn't lose all the files in there.
Don't write over the existing OS!

Do you have an external drive to install the OS on? USB, TB, even a Thumb drive, or SD card would work.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have a 16 GB Sandisk USB drive.
That might be big enough just for trouble shooting. Most thumb drives can work, but some, at random it seems, don't.

Don't forget to format the Thumb Drive:

When you get to this step, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Map:

Format: Choose APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Disk Utility shows a compatible format by default.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't think you can install El Capitan on only 16GB. Should be good on 32GB, however.

Quick test on the drive: Boot to internet recovery (Option-Command-R), launch Disk Utility, and Select the internal drive. Run First Aid. Hopefully, that will pass with no problems.
Boot to the built-in hardware Diagnostics - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think you can install El Capitan on only 16GB. Should be good on 32GB, however.
According to Apple, only 8.8GB of space is needed for the installation of El Capitan. I think the OP's MBP has 16GB of RAM, so it will most likely not be doing any page swapping.

Of course more would be better, but for troubleshooting, 16GB should be fine.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Does the diagnostics only identify what the problem is but not solve it? Is the First Aid button the one on bottom right corner? Mine is in foreign language and I just wanted to make sure.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I did internet recovery and it said no problem was found so I restarted the computer but the same problem happens.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Diagnostics will either pass or fail.
Fail will report a trouble code.

You should see First Aid as a selection in your Disk Utility, which should be something that you would read in your language as a disk repair, or disk health, or something related to a drive test.
In the El Capitan Disk Utility -- left end icon in the title bar is First Aid. Click on YOUR drive to select it, then click on that left end icon. You should get a pop up window. Click the lower right icon to run First Aid on your drive. Runs a few seconds, and the bottom icon should change and highlight (meaning Done), click on that, or just press enter. That should remove the popup, and return to the normal Disk Utility window. Cmd-Q to quit.

If the drive appears to be OK for that First Aid test, I would expect that something happened during the OS X install for El Capitan, and I would just try that El Capitan install again. BEST WAY to do that is from a bootable USB installer on a thumb drive, or (as I do) a partition on an external drive that I use for just such a job. The install would be faster than using the download through the Recovery system.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
So after I put the El Capitan .dmg file in the thumb drive and plug it in to the MacBook, then what do I do? Go to internet recovery mode (Opt CMD R) and launch Disk Utility?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have to make that thumb drive bootable...
Follow the steps -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

El Capitan probably needs the most prep steps of any OS X system install. Specific steps for El Capitan in that support article, and you have to change your system clock before you begin the install of El Capitan. Boot to the Installer, at the menu screen, open the terminal, enter date 1116211618, then press enter. Quit the terminal, and continue with the OS X install.
That should work.

Reactions: mortlocli

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I copied this into Terminal: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usbdr --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

("usbdr" is what I named my drive.)

But it says "command not found."
[automerge]1594395748[/automerge]
Could my problem happen if I didn't have enough space in my MBP in the first place? I think I might have had less than 16gb, I don't remember for sure, although it didn't say that I don't have enough space when I installed it.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The command is probably the createinstallmedia command, and your terminal command may need to be different than the sample on the support page.
1. Right click on your El Capitan installer app, and choose Show Package Contents.
2. double-click on the Contents folder, then open the Resources folder.
Launch your Terminal.
Type sudo, then add one space.
Find the Createinstallmedia command in that Resources folder, and drag that into your terminal window
type --volume, and add one more space. Find the volume or drive that you want to use for the external installer, and drag THAT volume into your terminal window.
Now, type --applicationpath, and add one more space
Finally, drag your El Capitan installer app (that's the one that you left open for the createinstallmedia file) into your terminal window.
NOW, press enter. Type your password when asked, and press enter again. should be successful this time.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I right clicked on the dmg file but it doesn't show "show package contents." It's showing "show view options".

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are 2 or 3 steps too early
The .dmg file is NOT the installer app that you need. Mount that disk image by double-clicking.
That will then open, showing a file "InstallMacOSX.pkg". You're not there yet: double-click THAT .pkg, which will launch the installer. That installer does nothing more than expand and install your goal: "Install OS X El Capitan.app" in your Applications folder. It will be approximately 6.22 GB in size, so you know that you have the correct app. THAT app will right click to "show package contents", and that's where you will find the Contents/Resources/ then you will see the Createinstallmedia file, which is your ultimate prize!
(Apple doesn't really make this too simple, but at least they still offer the El Capitan installer for download. There's just a few "hoops" that you have to jump through to use it :cool: )

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
It says "This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer." I'm using 2017 iMac on Mojave.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, you can't install OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on a 2017 iMac.
The installer app won't even run, and can't boot your 2017 iMac. The hardware is too new!
But, you can install 10.11 on your 2014 Macbook Pro.
You can create the bootable installer on your 2017 iMac, if you need to do that.
Just follow the steps on the support page where you downloaded the El Capitan. Those steps will work, even on your 2017. You just can't run the installer app.
And, then that bootable installer will boot/install on your 2014 MacBook Pro.
Isn't that why you have been doing all this?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
"1. Right click on your El Capitan installer app, and choose Show Package Contents."

How do you turn the .dmg file into an installer app?

(I thought double clicking on it would lead the dmg file to the installer app so that I could right click for Show Package Contents.)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Read post #23, as that goes through the steps you need.
To make that clear, there's 2 steps involved:
Your download is "InstallMacOSX.dmg"
step 1: Open that to get a folder. Inside is "InstallMacOSX.pkg"
step 2: Open THAT to run the installer, which creates "Install OS X El Capitan.app". You will find that in your Applications folder.
And, that's your installer app, right click to Show Package Contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.