Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luimui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2024
Hey Guys,
I want to share you my story of how and why I modded my APM to USB-c.

1. I bought my APM in 2021 and used them every day. I had a problem with condensation, some seem to have it and others don’t.
Apparently there is a whole class action lawsuit going on in the US.

I was unaware of the fact that cleaning the headband connector most certainly would resolve this issue.

Since my headphones were still under warranty this resulted in me getting my first, second and finally my third replacement of the APM.

Unfortunately the last replacement had a loose lightning port, which is glued in with the super strong green glue apple uses in some devices.

At this point Apple stopped to give me a replacement, as the device was out of warranty.

Due to this every time the lightning cable was plugged in to the device the flex cable was stressed until it finally broke and yes this made the APM useless.

2. Search for a replacement part:
Forget it, there is only one seller and it costs 150€ in Germany.

I literally talked to every seller on Alibaba, whether they had this kind of cable, unfortunately now.
Also I don’t have the experience to design it myself and since I don’t want to spend 150€ for a device that broke three times, I gave up.

3. Hope:
After two months I found this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Airpodsmax/comments/16vq2l4
Thank you @Jorda5s, your comment was super helpful.

Apparently there is someone in Switzerland who made usb-c mods for AirPods and plans to do it for APM, so with all my trust I simply order, even though it was not released yet and well, look at this (Probably the photo is not embedded, but on top of this post). The mod arrived, unfortunately the small plastic microphone holder was broken on arrival, but Ken, the guy who made the mod sent me a new one, which was perfectly fine. I installed everything and they work! Wow everything works so smoothly and after almost 4 months without them, it’s so amazing to finally have them up running again! :)

His Shop: https://shop.kenp.io/products/41rp0d-max-usb-c-flex

His YouTube Video:
IMG_6644.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.