Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
London
We just got Apple TV+ for free for a year with a new purchase, but I think I'm going to cancel it straight away. I don't understand the merit of a subscription service where all the shows seem to cost anyway - on top of the subscription you're paying.

We've already got Netflix (pay for subscription, then everything free), Amazon Prime (pay for subscription anyway, then lots free & best interface / amalgamation on the market) and now Disney+ (paid subscription, then mostly free). All these services have a hefty dose (or 100% in Netflix case) of 'pay for the subscription, then your TV is free'

But not Apple TV+? Bizarre. Even if they do have *some* shows that are included, it seems like such a small number that everything I click is $$. So stuff that - no thanks - bailing now. I really don't get the commercial proposition here

Reactions: t0pher and Isamilis

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
We just got Apple TV+ for free for a year with a new purchase, but I think I'm going to cancel it straight away. I don't understand the merit of a subscription service where all the shows seem to cost anyway - on top of the subscription you're paying.

We've already got Netflix (pay for subscription, then everything free), Amazon Prime (pay for subscription anyway, then lots free & best interface / amalgamation on the market) and now Disney+ (paid subscription, then mostly free). All these services have a hefty dose (or 100% in Netflix case) of 'pay for the subscription, then your TV is free'

But not Apple TV+? Bizarre. Even if they do have *some* shows that are included, it seems like such a small number that everything I click is $$. So stuff that - no thanks - bailing now. I really don't get the commercial proposition here

Yeah I'm happy to try it out for now during my free year (as a result of a device purchase), but we'll see if we pay for it long term. I have found a couple shows that I have watched and enjoyed. The tough part is that the AppleTV app tries to aggregate everything onto one app, including your subscription shows, stuff you don't own (like Starz, HBO, etc) and AppleTV+. It's confusing... My wife didn't even know we had shows that were produced by Apple until we watched Defending Jacob together over the weekend.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
All shows released on AppleTV+ are no extra cost. What shows are you referring to? Are you looking at ability to purchase shows and movies in AppleTV app with the AppleTV+ service?

Reactions: theapplehead

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
And are you signed in when you try and watch. I pay nothing with my free subscription

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That’s Apple’s business strategy in a nutshell. Create a tv streaming service to get users to go into the TV app, and hopefully sell them more iTunes content.

• Angry
Reactions: jbachandouris

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
This is absolutely no different from Amazon Prime Video in that it includes some bundled content but the majority of the library is sold/rented (particularly after the mass withdrawals of content e.g. by CBS). Not "bizarre" at all.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Zero clue as to what you're talking about. All Apple TV+ programing is included in the subscription.

Are you confusing the Apple TV app with the Apple TV+ streaming service?

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
This is absolutely no different from Amazon Prime Video in that it includes some bundled content but the majority of the library is sold/rented (particularly after the mass withdrawals of content e.g. by CBS). Not "bizarre" at all.

actually prime confuses the heck out of me. It’s frustrating to browse stuff to realize it’s not prime and I have to install something else or get a different subscription. I think a lot of folks l8ke me expected AppleTV+ to be more like Netflix and Hulu and less like Prime.
[automerge]1588167925[/automerge]
Zero clue as to what you're talking about. All Apple TV+ programing is included in the subscription.

The confusing bit is that TV+ is part of the TVapp where everything is aggregated, including paid content. At least it confused me at first Until I saw that little TV+ icon within that TV app. Now I’m good.

Reactions: t0pher

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is not the case. It's just the TV app that has a pretty messy UI where different content sources are all mixed together. To see only the TV+ shows, scroll down until you see the icons for the individual channels (TV+, HBO, Showtime etc.) and tap on TV+.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve just subscribed and found out that the fee which is about the same as Netflix involves paying again for the better content! There’s very little on there which has shocked me if I’m honest and the layout is cluttered and confusing. How do you create a profile for your kids to stop them seeing the adult thumbnails?

I have a feeling we’ll be cancelling it soon and maybe checking it out when it’s matured and Apple has sorted the design out. You realise how good Netflix is when you see this.

Reactions: t0pher and 2REPOU

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The AppleTV+ subscription is for ATV+ content. For other content including tv and movies from iTunes and premium channels like Showtime and HBO, you pay per item or an additional subscription respectively. As others have posted, it's simply an aggregator app that also offers some original content.

Reactions: iDaniel88

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
You can purchase / rent shows from Apple just as before regardless of whether you have an Apple TV+ subscription. ATV+ gets you access to a bunch of mostly Apple-original content such as The Morning Show, Defending Jacob, and so on.

If you tap/click on the Apple TV+ "channel" inside the Apple TV App on your Apple TV, you'll see just the shows Apple is including with the subscription. Outside of that you're still able to purchase/rent shows from Apple, subscribe to other services, etc. Nothing has changed there.

Apple making the Apple TV app itself an aggregator of multiple streaming services seemed like a good idea, but I would rather none of the previews from other services showed up at all if I didn't subscribe. I don't have cable, so can't subscribe to most of the legacy cable channels anyway, even if I wanted to.

All that said, I'm just going back to watching PBS and reading books. I guess I'm just not in the target demographic Apple (and the rest) are marketing to.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You can purchase / rent shows from Apple just as before regardless of whether you have an Apple TV+ subscription. ATV+ gets you access to a bunch of mostly Apple-original content such as The Morning Show, Defending Jacob, and so on.

If you tap/click on the Apple TV+ "channel" inside the Apple TV App on your Apple TV, you'll see just the shows Apple is including with the subscription. Outside of that you're still able to purchase/rent shows from Apple, subscribe to other services, etc. Nothing has changed there.

Apple making the Apple TV app itself an aggregator of multiple streaming services seemed like a good idea, but I would rather none of the previews from other services showed up at all if I didn't subscribe. I don't have cable, so can't subscribe to most of the legacy cable channels anyway, even if I wanted to.

All that said, I'm just going back to watching PBS and reading books. I guess I'm just not in the target demographic Apple (and the rest) are marketing to.

I'm honestly not sure who the target market is. I have Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Prime, Acorn and Britbox. I have zero objection to paying for streaming. We have a very healthy six figure income, owe no money to anyone. We have multiple Apple devices everywhere.

I'd have thought I'd be right in their crosshairs.

Apple TV+ provides zero interest for me. The underwhelming amount of content makes me feel I'd personally get more fun out of burning a crisp new 5 buck note each month, than I would out of subscribing to Apple TV+.

Heck Disney+ has more allure and we don't have any kids!

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I'm honestly not sure who the target market is.

Apple TV+ provides zero interest for me. The underwhelming amount of content makes me feel I'd personally get more fun out of burning a crisp new 5 buck note each month, than I would out of subscribing to Apple TV+.

I agree, it's in a weird spot. With only a limited amount of its own content (and no content library like Netflix / Prime), it has a very small market. And thus far, none of its shows have taken off / been a big hit. Basically no reason for most people to subscribe.

Apple probably understands this given the 1) low price point for now, and 2) giving away the 1yr free. It'll be interesting to see if they buy more feature films (like the Tom Hanks one they just announced) and try to pivot to including direct-to-digital movie releases as part of its primary draw - in a post-COVID era, could become a bigger thing.

Reactions: TiggrToo

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Defending Jacob pisses me off. You see pairs of people sitting at Macs, but repeatedly picking up and putting down their iPhones to message each other. JUST USE MESSAGES ON YOUR MAC FFS!! Grr.

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Finally found something on Apple TV that I felt was worth watching and it wouldn’t stream properly. Checked my internet connection and all was fine and the sound came through the but the picture kept freezing. Ended up watching Netflix instead with no issues. Downloaded the Apple TV show off a torrent instead.

I certainly won’t be subscribing to Apple TV once my free 1 year subscription is up. On the whole I’ve been completely unimpressed.

Reactions: Isamilis

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Launch the AppleTV+ app... then scroll down to channels... click on the AppleTV channel... POOF you will only see shows available on that channel.

If you do not do this, you will see all the content available for purchase/rent in the iTunes Store and any content found in other paid channels that you may have previously downloaded apps for.

It's that simple.

Don't use the search function or it will pull up all stuff the AppleTV+ app has access to...

So it's an eco-system within an eco-system... the channels put you in a specific eco-system, the app puts you in the larger all-inclusive eco-system.

Reactions: mallbritton

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The showing of stuff from other paid services bothers me similar to Prime when a lot of the stuff they show isn't included but must be rented or purchased. Love for things to only show what is included in that app. I know people are looking for one place to find everything but...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I got a free subscription with a new phone purchase and I don't know what shows you're referring to. I've watched Ted Lasso, Tiny World, and Long Road Up with no problems.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
The showing of stuff from other paid services bothers me similar to Prime when a lot of the stuff they show isn't included but must be rented or purchased. Love for things to only show what is included in that app. I know people are looking for one place to find everything but...
AppleTV channel only shows you content available to AppleTV... the AppleTV app itself includes everything (movie rentals, other subscription services, et al). You have to actually launch the AppleTV channel AFTER having launched the AppleTV app.

You might want to try:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

I think what OP mean is that, Apple TV+ has very few programs/show which are free for the subscribers. Most of the programs are movies for rent or buy on top of apple tv+ subscription fee. This is very different than Netflix. In other word, Apple TV+ is more similar to iTunes than streaming service.
This is also my impression, which - from consumer perspective- is far from interested.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Ehm no. Apple TV is an app, Apple TV+ is the subscription service. As written above, to see only Apple TV+ programs go to the Apple TV+ channel.

Reactions: mallbritton

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020

You have no idea what you are talking about. There is no second payment with Apple TV+. You are 100% wrong.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
I agree, it's in a weird spot. With only a limited amount of its own content (and no content library like Netflix / Prime), it has a very small market. And thus far, none of its shows have taken off / been a big hit. Basically no reason for most people to subscribe.

Apple probably understands this given the 1) low price point for now, and 2) giving away the 1yr free. It'll be interesting to see if they buy more feature films (like the Tom Hanks one they just announced) and try to pivot to including direct-to-digital movie releases as part of its primary draw - in a post-COVID era, could become a bigger thing.

LOL, Ted Lasso has been a monster hit. As has The Morning Show. Mythic Quest is building a fan base nicely and Tehran is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.