Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Hello everyone.. i know my title may seem really sad, but its not as bad as it sound. MY macbook DOES in fact still work, and DOES seem to be fine. Here is the story, and I'll get to my question in a bit.

So, I was playing my Nintendo Wii, and Chatting on Adium with my Macbook, so as I quickly paused the game I'd go and reply to my friends then I'd return back to my game. Anyways, the way i was sitting and had my macbook positioned was, my macbook was only 3/4 on my desk, and the other quarter was sticking off the end. I thought, whatever that should be fine...

Well, as i went and paused my game to reply on Adium I somehow bumped my macbook, nd well yeah it fell from my desk and onto my hardwood flooring. (I'd like to make it clear it DID not land on carpet) Good news is, it didnt fall at full speed because I managed to sorta catch it as it was falling, so I slowed down its fall quite a bit I think, but it still hit the floor hard/loud enouh to make my dog bark. >.<

So I swore out loud and picked my macbook up, and looked it appeared to still be working... only problem was the whole system was locked up with the pinwheel of death. At this point i was scared I ****ed my harddrive up >.<

I force my computer to shutdown, and start back up... it was an unusually slow start-up... and trust me I'd never been sooo nervous during the spinning gear at the start up before in my entire life... I was like pacin back and forth through my room, sweating, praying, and kicking myself.

FINALLY my macbook starts up fine... FIRST thing i do is, use Onyx to run a S.M.A.R.T disk anylisis. After that it says my disks seem to be perfectly fine. Thank god for that I can whipe some sweat off now, but im still concerned, since this incident my macbook has fealt slow... or at least slower then usual. I do the only thing i know to do, I restarted my mac.

Upon restart its back to how it was before it was dropped once again THANK GOD.

Now heres my question
Should I be concerned more?... Or does it seem like my macbook will be fine? I may have shortned my macbooks life by a couple months... but this macbook is only 6 months old, so it's inevitable death shouldn't be for AT LEAST 3-5 years.

Anyone else had experience like this one before? Also, how durable are macbooks generally? Did I just get REALLY lucky by not having my macbook break, or are macbooks built to take a drop or two?

efp722

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Philly
Oh okay. I was just curious. My macbook is going strong after all most 2 years. no major problems. biggest thing was a HDD upgrade.

thing still runs as good as the day i got it.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Don't worry about the HDD, Apple has sensors in their portables that can detect when your portable falls/moves too fast/etc, and shuts the HDD off to prevent damage.

I love how just about everything is thought out!!

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Don't worry about the HDD, Apple has sensors in their portables that can detect when your portable falls/moves too fast/etc, and shuts the HDD off to prevent damage.

OH MY GOD.... are you kidding? That is amazing... wow.... just wow I cant believe how brilliant that is, and im surprised apple doesnt brag about this like they bra about their magsafe power adaptor. I've honestly never heard of this in macbooks before... but if its true then that is amazing. I love apple for stuff like this.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Do you realize, Macbooks have Sudden Motion Sensors on their hard drives?
Maybe it picked up the fall and Stopped the HD, hence the spinning beach ball.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

WOW!!! F***!!!! thats amazing. im reading about it on apple's site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300781

just like how they have temp sensor on the main components.

damn, they even have apps for it:

http://wpram.com/log/2006/05/26/apple_sudden_mo/

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
hah all this is old news, its the same way that no laptop has to mention that its wireless internet, unless it is 802.11 N, so unless its something like that, which is still fairly new to mobile technology, apple is not going to mention it, to them it is common knolege. So uless they decerase the response time by half, they will no longer mention this.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Im sure if it was not a Dell or HP running vista it would have packed up straight away... at least i hope it would...

i say this coz i hate Microsoft, but i hate HP and dell even more who follow them like sheep for their OS...

SHEEP.......

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
just a basic estimate, i honestly have no proof. Laptops usually dont last alot longer then 5 years. But idk i guess.

Just to make you feel a little better, my 2001 TiBook is still going strong (albeit the broken hinges). It still has its original 30GB HDD in it as well :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.