Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Here's the (boring) story. I went downstairs to grab orange juice from the fridge. I noticed something colorful on the ground that caught my eye. I looked down and picked it up. It was a vintage rainbow Apple sticker!!! I figured it was from my mom's Apple //c. So I asked her if I could have it and she said yes!! What should I do with it? Put it on my MBP lid after they replace the display assembly (stupid hinges :mad:)? Give it to my mom to put on her MacBook (in the picture)? Or just hold on to it? I had a larger one on my 2007 MacBook, but I got tired of it (the sticker) and threw it out. Ughh I wish I didn't do that... :mad:
attachment.php

So what do you think, forum?

Thanks,
Alpha

Edit: I forgot to say this is my first post in this section of the forum. I have a basic collection with mostly newer macs and a couple G3's. I think I will be acquiring a 1.42 eMac from my school. My mom also let me put the //c in my collection. I really want a Lisa, though!

Edit 2: If I should put it on my MBP, where should I put it? Please mark on this picture:
MacBook13UniExTopLidSilverMSmall.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8359.jpg
    IMG_8359.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 6,279
Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
That's probably because it has some extra material on the sides of the sticker.

attachment.php

I think it's more than that. Look at the blue bar. And the "bite".

It's not an early draft, prototype logo or something? It doesn't have Steve's signature on the back, by any chance? Now that would be a lucky find :)

Attachments

• 90px-Apple_Computer_Logo_rainbow.svg.png
    90px-Apple_Computer_Logo_rainbow.svg.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,606
Reactions: Chuckeee

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
attachment.php

I think it's more than that. Look at the blue bar. And the "bite".

It's not an early draft, prototype logo or something? It doesn't have Steve's signature on the back, by any chance? Now that would be a lucky find :)

Look at this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6987.jpg
    IMG_6987.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,356

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally if I were to place it somewhere it would not be on a laptop or other electronic device I would throw out or sell after a couple of years. Rather something more permanent that you would keep for many years if not your whole life.

I put one that came with an old Powermac G4 DA on my gun safe. I'll likely never get rid of the safe so the sticker will remain. Even if I upgraded to a larger safe I'd keep the old one for less important items or to have in my room.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Personally if I were to place it somewhere it would not be on a laptop or other electronic device I would throw out or sell after a couple of years. Rather something more permanent that you would keep for many years if not your whole life.

I know people don't like others posting like this but +1 to that; great idea. Whatever you do, put it on something more permanent or that you'll keep.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I know people don't like others posting like this but +1 to that; great idea. Whatever you do, put it on something more permanent or that you'll keep.

I never sell my computers. I always keep them. It could be a good memory in the future.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The stickum will eventually get gooey and die.

Way back (quarter century plus), I put several of these stickers on various items and my car's bumper. The one on my car faded to nearly translucent and then started turning into dust. The one on a box eventually starting sliming its way downward.

If I wanted to save one, I would keep it on it's original backing paper, and frame it under glass instead. Also keep it away from bright sunlight.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I would keep it safe and not use it. I haven't found a whole lot of places to use my Apple stickers. Out of the 12 or so stickers I have, I've only used one. I don't know where I should put the rest so they are staying in their corresponding boxes.

r32vw04

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
vintage mac sign

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could point me in the right direction as to price a vintage mac sign that lights up. I have found there was only 1000 made, someone told me a sign identical to this one sold for $1000+ on ebay.
I do have pics and I'd say this thing is 100% and still works. It is the first apple logo with the swooping lines and computer etched in to the 3/8 of an inch glass.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could point me in the right direction as to price a vintage mac sign that lights up. I have found there was only 1000 made, someone told me a sign identical to this one sold for $1000+ on ebay.
I do have pics and I'd say this thing is 100% and still works. It is the first apple logo with the swooping lines and computer etched in to the 3/8 of an inch glass.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

A 2007 article suggests what you say:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/ebay-watch-1984-macintosh-lighted-sign-sells-for-1000

There is one on eBay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260751457808

but it keeps being re-listed at that price so the market probably won't pay US$1000.

However, if I had the disposable income, I'd probably get one. :(

Zoltare

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
What do you think of putting it on the back of a car? I plan on keeping the car for a good while sense it use to be my dads 2011 mini cooper. Will the sticker fade???

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I had one on my car for over a decade and it didn't noticeably fade in that time. (Gave the car to my kid a couple years ago when the car was 15 years old and he removed it in favor of his college's sticker. Bah!)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
What do you think of putting it on the back of a car? I plan on keeping the car for a good while sense it use to be my dads 2011 mini cooper. Will the sticker fade???
Depends where you live and where you park I suppose. I live in Florida and park outdoors, so the rainbow apple sticker on my back window gets replaced every 3-4 years as it fades and degrades. But it has the Florida sun baking it for hours each day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.