Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I just purchased a Wacom "Bamboo Stylus Solo" for my iPad 3.
This is my first time ever using a stylus on an iPad or tablet.

What "drawing" and/or " note taking" Apps are recommended for new stylus owners wanting to master the unique(?) skill of writing and fine drawing on the iPad using a stylus?
Any stylus writing/drawing tips shared is greatly appreciated as well.. Thanks. :)

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Penultimate and Notability are great hand writing notes apps that you can sync with Dropbox. I have the Bamboo stylus and love it. Just can't remember where I put it down last :p

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I tried a few notepad type apps (Penultimate, Bamboo, Noteability) before finding my favorite. I really like Noteshelf. I really like the way it handles resting your palm while I write, the options that are available in the program, and the iBooks-like way of displaying notebooks.

PS: the stylus you bought is my current favorite too!

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Noteshelf is my preferred app, and it was recently updated for the iPad 3 retina display and looks absolutely gorgeous!

tonyz3

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
In addition to the 2 apps you bought which i love both of them. Give Paper53 a try. Def a fun app for drawing and light notes. Notability is my go to though.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Congratulations on the Bamboo stylus. After reading yet another good review on this particular stylus recently, I decided to purchase one myself. Looking forward to compare it with my Arctic Architect stylus.

Paper by 53 is free, yes, but has in-app purchase options. And not too many features on board.
For drawing, you should give Bamboo Paper a try, also free but with a bunch of features already there. Upgrading (payed version) lets your create more notebooks.

For other ideas on Drawing and/or Note taking apps, there's two rather interesting threads already, go give them a read:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1295122/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1130772/

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I just purchased a Wacom "Bamboo Stylus Solo" for my iPad 3.
This is my first time ever using a stylus on an iPad or tablet.

What "drawing" and/or " note taking" Apps are recommended for new stylus owners wanting to master the unique(?) skill of writing and fine drawing on the iPad using a stylus?
Any stylus writing/drawing tips shared is greatly appreciated as well.. Thanks. :)

Thanks for posting this, just ordered a stylus with extra nibs for myself, looks like it will be useful!

momentlab

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
1a66aa8fe990b435d7b4d260d487ab91_large.jpg

If you have a Smart Cover check out Motive Stylus. The tip looks similar to the Bamboo stylus. But what's cool is how it docks magnetically with the Smart Cover. It also comes with 2 tips soft and hard so you can customize the feel of your stylus.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-ipad-smart-cover-has-a-new-sidek?ref=live

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I got a pack of 18 stylii from The Swedish Reindeer or something like that on Amazon. So far, excellent choice for like $15.

Draw Something is a fun app, you should try it.
Not maybe for mastering but rather for just, fun.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
My Bamboo (solo) arrived today, and of course I compared it with my Architect stylus. The Bamboo is a wee heavier which is not an issue at all to me, the shaft grip is better, the tip glides smoother and feels less sticky on the screen, and it has a clip. The only pro in defence of my Architect is the protective cap, to small an argument against my new favorite.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I've noticed that the Bamboo Stylus does not work well with the SGP UO screen protector.

I used it with the SGP UO and found response to be lacking on both the iPad2 & new ipad...even though it is a very thin screen protector.

I just changed to the PowerSupport HD on my new ipad and even though the powersupport hd is thicker than the SGP UO the Bamboo Stylus works so much better with the PowerSupport hd.

I think it may have to do with the optics portion of the SGP UO.

As a side note. The Alupen worked fine with the SGP UO and the Powersupport HD.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I've noticed that the Bamboo Stylus does not work well with the SGP UO screen protector.

I used it with the SGP UO and found response to be lacking on both the iPad2 & new ipad...even though it is a very thin screen protector.

I just changed to the PowerSupport HD on my new ipad and even though the powersupport hd is thicker than the SGP UO the Bamboo Stylus works so much better with the PowerSupport hd.

I think it may have to do with the optics portion of the SGP UO.

As a side note. The Alupen worked fine with the SGP UO and the Powersupport HD.

Just to clear something up, you have the regular powersupport hd, it's not the anti-glare right?

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks to everyone for all the terrific note and drawing app recommendations.
Because I was lucky to catch most of the recommendations on sale, I had a chance to buy most of them. It only took a short time to adapt to writing and drawing with my first ever stylus (Wacom Bamboo Solo), but I've quickly become hooked and appreciating the fine creative possiblities it offers.

The only pro in defence of my Architect is the protective cap
I got to admit that this is the concern I have about my Bamboo Sylus as well, as I usually simply store it with my other items in my iPad bag when I'm on the go. How vunerable to damage is the Bamboo's rubber tip? Whats the recommeded method of storing and transporting it on the go? Also, "how long" do Wacom Bamboo's rubber tips tyoically last before needing replacement, and how much do replacement tips cost?

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Good day buddy,
Been drawing with the ipad/stylist since the first iPad.

Let me say the Wacom Bamboo is a great. That was my goto one say 6month ago before I found the Jot Pro. The bamboo is still in my case and there as a back up.

However with the Jot you can pay more attention since you can see where the point is.

As for apps.

Writing again NoteShelf is awesome like people suggested.
For drawing I use SketchBook. (there are other drawing app like procreate, artrage but sketchbook is my goto)

Hope that helps abit.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Sketchbook Pro for drawing. uPad for note taking. I also have the bamboo stylus. Great fit and finish. To those that don't have a stylus yet or looking for a alternative. Go to Wallgreens, right by the register is a tub of stylus for $5 each. I use this one more than any other stylus I have. My problem with the bamboo is that it weighs a bit too much and is a bit short. While the Wallgreens stylus is short I haven't found one better than it for recognition and smooth flow over the glass. It doesn't stick like the bamboo can at times.

weas

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
My favorite is Bamboo Paper. It may not have as many features as the rest but the response to the stylus is perfect and it's the smoothest. I even take class notes on it sometimes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.