Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marshzd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
After waiting for WWDC in hopes of a decent hardware update, I just couldn't do it anymore. I found a machine with really great specs, easily upgradeable, and that has been performing like a beast for me.

My work is primarily video distribution, so I help editors a lot. I love FCPX, but I also love gaming, raw computing power, and the latest cool tech. So I'm switching to Davinci Resolve as my editing platform.

I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them, that way I can still coordinate and work with FCPX editors more simply and keep up.

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4
256 PCIE Drive + 2TB Storage Drive
Nvidia 1080 ti 11gb (I will expand to 2 of these when the prices drop)

Dual 34" Wide monitors, which is giving me tons of real estate for editing and entertainment.

I am really happy so far. It feels like a beast of a machine and I don't feel like I got ripped on the price of the hardware.

Total cost (there was a bundle deal and sale): $4800 + tax

IMG_1743 - Copy.jpg

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
After waiting for WWDC in hopes of a decent hardware update, I just couldn't do it anymore. I found a machine with really great specs, easily upgradeable, and that has been performing like a beast for me.

My work is primarily video distribution, so I help editors a lot. I love FCPX, but I also love gaming, raw computing power, and the latest cool tech. So I'm switching to Davinci Resolve as my editing platform.

I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them, that way I can still coordinate and work with FCPX editors more simply and keep up.

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4

Dual 34" Wide monitors, which is giving me tons of real estate for editing and entertainment.

I am really happy so far. It feels like a beast of a machine and I don't feel like I got ripped on the price of the hardware.

View attachment 766886

Thanks for coming here to make the announcement. I am sure millions of MacRumors users would have wondered "hey, where did the new guy go?"... wow.

Then again, "I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them" isn't really leaving, is it? wow, again.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What were you hoping for at the WWDC?

I won't stop using Macs yet, but I have been thinking about tinkering with a Hackintosh.

My main Mac is heavily upgraded BTO option Late 2012 iMac, and it is still running well and very fast on Mac OS 10.11. When I decide to pick up something new, I might try to build a Hackintosh, just to see how it runs.

"I will probably get a MacBook Pro when they finally update them" isn't really leaving, is it? wow, again.
Well, it could be just leaving Apple's desktops. Some could argue that Apple has left most of their desktops too.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
What were you hoping for at the WWDC?

I won't stop using Macs yet, but I have been thinking about tinkering with a Hackintosh.

My main Mac is heavily upgraded BTO option Late 2012 iMac, and it is still running well and very fast on Mac OS 10.11. When I decide to pick up something new, I might try to build a Hackintosh, just to see how it runs.

Well, it could be just leaving Apple's desktops. Some could argue that Apple has left most of their desktops too.

That’s what I am thinking about doing. I will just build a decent desktop that is compatible with certain operating systems. :) That way I can have a RX580 but not have to pay through the nose for old hardware.
And of course I will start a thread on macrumors showing my setup because of course.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Lol at all of the sour/salty Apple fans in here! @marshzd that is a beast setup! Gaming with that card and ultrawides are AMAZING to say the least. (Using the same card and a i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz) just about every game for the past several years support 3440x1440. Too bad the majority of these users will never know what it's like to have really good hardware and the ability to do a fraction of what you can now accomplish! Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up!

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4

View attachment 766886
You should not expect a software developers conference such as WWDC to feature hardware.
[doublepost=1529446955][/doublepost]

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4

View attachment 766886
The is a nice looking Alienware desktop.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
This thread is friggin hilarious. So much more informative and spellbinding than when someone says “I’m perfectly happy with my iPhone 7 and see no reason to buy the X”.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to update all of us on your computing setup. Now our lives are complete.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Hope you paid extra for US-based Pro Support.

I work on Dells for a living and I've spent hours on the phone with level 'none' 'technicians.' One of them asked me if I tried using a known good power cord after putting me on hold to 'consult' the one guy in the building who knows anything.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Lol at all of the sour/salty Apple fans in here! @marshzd that is a beast setup! Gaming with that card and ultrawides are AMAZING to say the least. (Using the same card and a i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz) just about every game for the past several years support 3440x1440. Too bad the majority of these users will never know what it's like to have really good hardware and the ability to do a fraction of what you can now accomplish! Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up!

I am not at all "sour/salty"... and I'm truly happy that the OP found what he was looking for. My comments were more about the OP's need to spend 1/24 of his 7 years of posting effort to announce to the world that he was leaving...

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Here are the specs:
i7-7800X Hexacore
32gb DDR4

View attachment 766886
If you have ever "felt" like you were ripped off with hardware/price then I'd suggest return that ish as quickly as you bought it.
Some folks have such an issue with returning something they aren't happy with.

Cheers for making a decision that works for you rather than someone else making the decision for you. You will probably be much more happy with the purchase. Enjoy.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I am not at all "sour/salty"... and I'm truly happy that the OP found what he was looking for. My comments were more about the OP's need to spend 1/24 of his 7 years of posting effort to announce to the world that he was leaving...
Post time or post count is irrelevant. He's just as much a member as you or I and can post his stories.

marshzd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Just to clarify a couple things...

Sorry for those that are offended. I didn't mean it to be offensive! But since this is an alternatives forum, I posted here. This is an alternative solution for me. And it's really a big deal. I converted most of my family to Apple, but the prices the last few years have been killing me.

Yes, the Mac Pro was an amazing price...for 6 months. Now it's insane that anyone would purchase one, even with the price drops. The iMac Pro is a good deal, but I don't need the bells and whistles that Apple wants me to have. I need the ones that I want to have.

I never bought an Apple where I wasn't happy with the hardware. When I said that in my OP, I was more trying to say that shopping for an Apple computer right now was painful, because I didn't want to drop that much money on older, slower hardware. It's been really tough but when I saw this sale, I couldn't resist.

And as a final follow up...Back to the windows I remember! I spent a couple hours troubleshooting a wireless driver issue. That is something I never did in the last 16 years I've been with Apple. My wireless adapter always just worked out of the box. Here's to praying that I don't have anymore of those little bugs creep up on me.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Just to clarify a couple things...

Sorry for those that are offended. I didn't mean it to be offensive! But since this is an alternatives forum, I posted here. This is an alternative solution for me. And it's really a big deal. I converted most of my family to Apple, but the prices the last few years have been killing me.

Yes, the Mac Pro was an amazing price...for 6 months. Now it's insane that anyone would purchase one, even with the price drops. The iMac Pro is a good deal, but I don't need the bells and whistles that Apple wants me to have. I need the ones that I want to have.

I never bought an Apple where I wasn't happy with the hardware. When I said that in my OP, I was more trying to say that shopping for an Apple computer right now was painful, because I didn't want to drop that much money on older, slower hardware. It's been really tough but when I saw this sale, I couldn't resist.

And as a final follow up...Back to the windows I remember! I spent a couple hours troubleshooting a wireless driver issue. That is something I never did in the last 16 years I've been with Apple. My wireless adapter always just worked out of the box. Here's to praying that I don't have anymore of those little bugs creep up on me.

While I do run into the rare occasional issue with my Yoga, I have the ongoing can’t connect with the WiFi upon awakening from sleep almost all the time with my 2015 rMB :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry for those that are offended. I didn't mean it to be offensive! But since this is an alternatives forum
there are people who take their mac dedication to a level that they want to ridicule those who choose another platform. I'm a big believer in both getting value for your money and picking the right tool for the job. I still may buy a mac myself, but its harder to justify the premium pricing when I feel its less and less like a premium product.

I spent a couple hours troubleshooting a wireless driver issue
There still may be driver issues, heck I have more driver issues when trying to run windows on a Mac and using Apple supplied drivers. Running windows on a windows machine has been far smoother.

Both platforms are solid, both platforms have their respective advantages and disadvantages. For me, I feel like spending my hard earned money on a company who's focus is providing great computers. I'm feeling that for apple that's less and less, Its clear they want iOS as the heir apparent for desktop computing.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
While I do run into the rare occasional issue with my Yoga, I have the ongoing can’t connect with the WiFi upon awakening from sleep almost all the time with my 2015 rMB :(

Yes, and there is the constant nVidia driver issues with 4k screens on my 2014 top of the line macbook pro. :( I can go with a hackintosh or windows if I have to troubleshoot issues anyway. Grrrr.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.