Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
While changing my user account name, from say Mr. Jones Computer to Snoopy, I also changed the default folder to the same extention but also ending in /snoopy as well. The prompt came up that I need to reset my computer to make these changes, and when I did that, 99% of the computer is back to factory settings, except my downloaded apps but without any saved info or log ins or history.

Is there any way to undo this? Even to completely go back in time 5 minutes and leave the account name and folder name the way it was?

I do not have Time Machine or anything similar set up. This may very well be a hard lesson, which I've definitely learned. Is there anyway to undo this reset?

Everything I google comes up with the simple action undo (Cmd+Z) and I can't find anything about undoing a reset like this.

Thanks in advance.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Actually, after sitting here in a few minutes of panic, I decided to change my user name and folder extension on what looks to be a new install of Mojave, and after a reset, I was exactly back to before I made my mistake! Photos on the desktop and everything!

I'm going to leave this here in case my problem comes up for anyone else who overstepped while trying to organize and rename stuff. It seems I'm back to where I wanted to be. ALWAYS USE A BACKUP! Glad I get to learn this without data loss.

*WHEW!*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.