Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Edmonton, AB
So I thought I was forever locked out of my beloved Apple Account that I've had since the dawn of time, when MobileMe was still a thing.

Because I lost access to my ISP Mail which I should have never been using in the first place, And forgot all the security questions I had put in

I went to Iforgot.Apple.Com and was surprised to see my Old Iphone 5s (Running IOS 8.1) was displayed as an option to wipe my security codes, and thus be able to change the accounts primary email to something other than ISP mail.

I was whole-heartily surprised that my barely functional POS (Compared to today's stuff) iPhone 5S 64GB would still be registered to work with Apple and its Accounts after all these years. I simply connected it to Wifi and it got sent a magic code prompt dialog.

Way to go for Apple still supporting this Legacy device after all these years, and the legacy IOS 8 as well.
The only Application that still logs in and functions correctly on IOS 8 is a virtual to-do list aid which I highly recommend called "Remember The Milk" it used to be on the App Store!

For what it's worth.

Anyway,
Have a great weekend.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Great narrative, and I’m glad it worked for you. I actually have at least 2 friends that faithfully use their iPhone 5s devices and love them —

Reactions: Cide

Cide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Edmonton, AB
I love my Iphone 5s as a "iPod" and as a IT Toolkit (Still have working SSH terminal, Network Scanners, ETC.)

It was the 5s Gold, not getting rid of it probably ever. I know they aren't worth much but to me, I am curious to see how long it will last like this! And who knew, that I'd be able to reset my password and secure my account all the meanwhile. Awesome.

Steve Jobs would have been proud that RTM/iCloud still works on iOS 8.

Curious what your friends faithfully use their iPhone 5s devices for? I would love to hear about what they've got thats still functional.
I've been debating upgrading mine to iOS 12 but everyone tells me not to because I'll lose most of the iOS 8 apps I have installed, and it would be slow.
*shrugs*

Reactions: Mark Stone

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Curious what your friends faithfully use their iPhone 5s devices for? I would love to hear about what they've got thats still functional.
I’m unsure - I know they use them for phone calls and SMS-MMS messaging. I’ve seen one of them look at Facebook, and I know they have Bible apps on them. But beyond that, I don’t know. But they like them, and (as far as I know) they have no plans to replace them. 😊

Cide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Edmonton, AB
I’m unsure - I know they use them for phone calls and SMS-MMS messaging. I’ve seen one of them look at Facebook, and I know they have Bible apps on them. But beyond that, I don’t know. But they like them, and (as far as I know) they have no plans to replace them. 😊
Haha,
Yeah I forgot to mention, FaceBook in Safari works under my outdated IOS 8.x.x on the iPhone 5s, Perfectly. You can even upload pictures (Up to however many you want at a time.) and its all fully functional, though it does give you a generic browser warning. It's amazing and I hope they continue to support this.

We recycle our devices way too often,
I still have an Iphone 4s 32GB that I also use as an Ipod running I dont even know what version, but its really snappy and I love it for the fact it uses the traditional Ipod connector, which my Alpine HU in my classic car still uses.

Reactions: Mark Stone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.