Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Mmm...I have an intel mac so booyah!

At least games are being made for OSX...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Meh, it doesn't bother me. However the Power logo is FAR cooler looking

Attachments

• 474px-Power-architecture-logo.png
    474px-Power-architecture-logo.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 175

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Time to accept the reality that the PPC chip may not be good enough for the latest games. That's all.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Time to accept the reality that the PPC chip may not be good enough for the latest games. That's all.

That's a rather foolish statement. Consider the fact that all 3 consoles are using PPCs and that a G5's only equivelent on the PC side, prior to the Conroe, was the Opteron.

It's called the developer making a financial choice not to invest in a PPC version and instead just focus on X86.

<]=)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

The PPC chips were nice, for sure, but IBM was just unable to keep up with producing faster iterations fast enough, plus working to get the heat output (and as a result the power consumption) down. I think that was the thing that made Apple move - I don't think they cared about overall power, but wanted that power in a smaller, cooler, more efficient package so they could keep churning out pretty things.:rolleyes:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
You're taking my comments the wrong way.

First off, we're talking about Mac Gaming, not consoles or PC gaming.

Second, for all intents and purposes, the PowerPC chip is obsolete on the Mac. You see it anywhere in the current hardware lineup? The last G5's are going to start looking old soon enough. It doesn't help this Myst game is being ported using Cider.

Yes, as far as Mac game development goes, Intel chips are probably going to be the main focus now. I'm not arguing the PPC architecture is better than x86 or vice versa. All I was saying is the last remaining Mac users with PowerPC's are probably soon seeing the end of the road for gaming on their machine. And performance-wise, you know some Intel chip down the line (or possibly even now) will out run whatever the fastest G5 in a Mac ever was. That's all I was going for.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I will only say this: The overall performance and efficiency value of a processor is not measured in its raw performance output but its performance per watt ratio.

In those terms, the G5 was an absolutely atrocious processor, fast yes but at what cost?

I'm glad Apple chose Intel's Core architecture, the G5 was really an abomination of a processor.

Oh and AppleKid, all Intel core processors are faster than the G5, maybe a core 1 duo is not faster than a G5 quad in terms of raw performance but it would kick its ass if it was using as much power as the G5. Performance per watt is what really matters and what really shows architecture efficiency.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
You're taking my comments the wrong way.

First off, we're talking about Mac Gaming, not consoles or PC gaming.

Second, for all intents and purposes, the PowerPC chip is obsolete on the Mac. You see it anywhere in the current hardware lineup? The last G5's are going to start looking old soon enough. It doesn't help this Myst game is being ported using Cider.

Yes, as far as Mac game development goes, Intel chips are probably going to be the main focus now. I'm not arguing the PPC architecture is better than x86 or vice versa. All I was saying is the last remaining Mac users with PowerPC's are probably soon seeing the end of the road for gaming on their machine. And performance-wise, you know some Intel chip down the line (or possibly even now) will out run whatever the fastest G5 in a Mac ever was. That's all I was going for.

One day they will be obsolete, but a Quad PowerMac G5 still out does every Mac apple sells to day(minus the Mac Pro), and will for sometime, when ever MacBook, MBP, iMac and Mac Mini get Quad based chips, which won't be for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.