Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Hi, few weeks back, i was really hesitating to buy an iMac Pro for around 1200$, base model... and i finally ended up buying a 2017 model i5 for 350$, then upgraded SSD + Ram to 512 Gb and 40Gb for less than 100$. Good deal yea. and fulfilling my needs.

But I went back and forth on ebay ads... and today, I was just very very weak when I had the opportunity to buy an iMac Pro bought in 2018, with the 10 core Xeon and 128 GB of ram (+ the 1TB SSD)... all this for 1400$.

Yeaa, I know, iMac Pro in 2023... but it's one year warranty, superb... I will sell my 2017 for 600-700$ and voila.

:)

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I had the iMac Pro a few years ago; it was a sweet machine. Enjoy yours! If you got one from 2018 you probably want to get the dust out of the vents - mine were full when I upgraded to the M1 iMac in 2021.

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Thanks. Yes but I'm really hesitating to open it...
I bought it with 128gb of ram just to do not have to open it to do an upgrade...
I will just vacum the vent holes and will monitor the temp with fan control.
Cheers

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Just came back from a trip yesterday and I found my new imac pro box near my desk.
I love it.
I know, it's an Intel and an old machine but it has 128gb so I don't need to open it and the 1tb suoer fast ssd is totally OK for what I'm doing. If I need more, I'll then use a TB3 ssd enclosure.
What is strange is that the writing speed is faster than the reading. I wonder how come.
W 3mb/s vs R 2,6mb/s

Reactions: macguru9999

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Hi, few weeks back, i was really hesitating to buy an iMac Pro for around 1200$, base model... and i finally ended up buying a 2017 model i5 for 350$, then upgraded SSD + Ram to 512 Gb and 40Gb for less than 100$. Good deal yea. and fulfilling my needs.

But I went back and forth on ebay ads... and today, I was just very very weak when I had the opportunity to buy an iMac Pro bought in 2018, with the 10 core Xeon and 128 GB of ram (+ the 1TB SSD)... all this for 1400$.

Yeaa, I know, iMac Pro in 2023... but it's one year warranty, superb... I will sell my 2017 for 600-700$ and voila.

:)
It'll be a nice machine, don't worry about what AS fans will say. My primary Mac is a 2020 i7 iMac 27" with 128G of RAM. My Mac Mini Pro sits there most of the time because it only has 32G of RAM and it's not that much faster.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Yeah, it probably will -- but it'll be over $5000 I bet -- and have less RAM. I'm not waiting, but if one comes about, I'll look at at it.
I hope it costs half that. I have a 2012 iMac 27" that I want to replace with a larger than iMac 24" M3 that has either a 30" 5.5K or 32" 6K display.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It wouldnt be that cheap if it was a Pro, Max or Ultra. But a standard M3? Its very possible.
That's just it, I don't think it will be a standard M3, that'll still be the 24". What this one will be is the replacement for the high end iMac.

Anyway, we wont know until it's announced, if it ever is.

Reactions: ecton

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Hi and thanks. Yes I agree... I doubt that if there is a new big imac, the price won't be bellow 3-4k$. Today, the equivalent in more modern / better pert is the mac studio coupled with the studio display 27... And it's already 4-5k$ with base model. Add 64gb of ram...
I'm very very happy with my imac pro. I do mainly UI UX work, 2d graphics and daily browsing etc.. So it outperforms my need.
☺️

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I hope it costs half that. I have a 2012 iMac 27" that I want to replace with a larger than iMac 24" M3 that has either a 30" 5.5K or 32" 6K display.

To be "half that" ($2500) means Apple would have to put a whole Silicon computer inside of ASD and toss in a keyboard and mouse too for only about $500 more than ASD (with a desirable stand option). I can't see it at all.

Modern Apple is in maximize profit mode more than seemingly ever before. While I do expect iMac "bigger" to eventually show up, I believe it will be priced at probably 2X-3X the traditional iMac 27" "starting at" pricing. Personally, I believe they will put PRO & MAX in it, brand it pro and price it like they priced the former 27" iMac Pro...

full

Dial 32GB RAM down to 8GB and 1TB SSD down to 256GB to possibly get the price down to (maybe) $3499... but then configure it as you actually want it and it quickly shifts back towards the above pricing.

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
well, the temp is between 34*c idle and 50*c under load so i guess the fans must be clean ;-)

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Hi, and omg yes... First it works so well with the 128 GB... And secondly, it's very satisfying to work on an imac pro...
I've an imac 2019 as I work from two different countries... But the imac pro is just something special.

Reactions: Student of Life

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
And my 2019 imav has a 2tb nvme and 70 GB of memory
... But the imac pro... Well you feel something special

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I liked mine, but the GPU was just too slow for the applications I use. Almost all of the Adobe apps struggled to run on the 5K display 😣

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Well, of course, it has its limitations... but i'm using photoshop, illustrator, figma, no 3d... the 5k display is just fantastic.. yes it's an "old school" exclusive machine... it has its "charme"

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
To be "half that" ($2500) means Apple would have to put a whole Silicon computer inside of ASD and toss in a keyboard and mouse too for only about $500 more than ASD (with a desirable stand option). I can't see it at all.

Modern Apple is in maximize profit mode more than seemingly ever before. While I do expect iMac "bigger" to eventually show up, I believe it will be priced at probably 2X-3X the traditional iMac 27" "starting at" pricing. Personally, I believe they will put PRO & MAX in it, brand it pro and price it like they priced the former 27" iMac Pro...

full

Dial 32GB RAM down to 8GB and 1TB SSD down to 256GB to possibly get the price down to (maybe) $3499... but then configure it as you actually want it and it quickly shifts back towards the above pricing.
yes.. and the big challenge would be... not upgrade possible at all :-(

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Well, of course, it has its limitations... but i'm using photoshop, illustrator, figma, no 3d... the 5k display is just fantastic.. yes it's an "old school" exclusive machine... it has its "charme"
My main issues were in After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Audition...pretty much anything with a playhead. 😅

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I’m tempted to get one and I would use it with my older aperture/photos libraries. I’ve updated some aperture libraries on using my M1 Pro(kept on Monterey because of this), but have had issues like lots of photos showing up “blank”. Hoping to have more luck with an older Mac. Thinking the iMac Pro would be a nice “photo station”. Video editing I will still do on my M1 Mac.
I have seen a second hand iMac Pro base model for the equivalent of $750 around where I live, and I’m tempted

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
I’m tempted to get one and I would use it with my older aperture/photos libraries. I’ve updated some aperture libraries on using my M1 Pro(kept on Monterey because of this), but have had issues like lots of photos showing up “blank”. Hoping to have more luck with an older Mac. Thinking the iMac Pro would be a nice “photo station”. Video editing I will still do on my M1 Mac.
I have seen a second hand iMac Pro base model for the equivalent of $750 around where I live, and I’m tempted
Don't forget you cannot upgrade memory without opening it.
Ssd is not upgradable. But still living it 👍🏻

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I know. The 1TB I can live with, but more worries about not being able to upgrade the RAM. The 2020 iMacs are at least twice the price on the second hand market here. Debating with myself if I should bother with this iMac Pro or not😬

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.