Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
I am thinking about buying a dual 2.3 G5 Powermac. I have been looking to buy one since the beginning of August, but before I was about to place my order I was searching around and found that everyone was saying to wait until the Paris Expo, so I waited. Now the Expo is over and the powermac wasn't updated, and today is the last day for the Free Ipod mini. I don't really need an ipod, but since it is free(after rebate) I was just going to order it tonight. How much of a speed difference are people expecting out of the new dual core powermacs? I just got my new dell 2405FWP LCD last week and really want to give it some use. So here it comes again :) , would you guys recommend buying it tonight and get the free ipod or wait a couple weeks and hope for an update?
As a side note I would highly recommend the Dell 2405FWP LCD, I have watched a few movies on it so far and it is great. I watched IceAge and there was no ghosting at all and the image was crystal clear. I also watched James Bond: Die Another Day and that was even better. The opening credit scene was awesome the picture was just so crisp.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
RyanSA4 said:
I am thinking about buying a dual 2.3 G5 Powermac. I have been looking to buy one since the beginning of August, but before I was about to place my order I was searching around and found that everyone was saying to wait until the Paris Expo, so I waited. Now the Expo is over and the powermac wasn't updated, and today is the last day for the Free Ipod mini. I don't really need an ipod, but since it is free(after rebate) I was just going to order it tonight. How much of a speed difference are people expecting out of the new dual core powermacs?
would you guys recommend buying it tonight and get the free ipod or wait a couple weeks and hope for an update?

If you want it, get it.

the iPod IS free, so you can knock yourself out with eBay or Linux'ing it, I dunno.

But, it's really up to you. If you want it now, get it now. They are totally sweet machines. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Dual core PowerMacs are only tenuously rumoured — not guaranteed. Don't base your purchasing decision on gossip and speculation...

It's a no-win game. No matter what you buy, there's always something better around the corner.

If you need it now, buy it now.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
Anyone else have an opinion on this post? I have 3 hours left until I purchase the Dual 2.3 Powermac. Anyone else want to give me a reason not to. :)
Here's what I am planning on getting.

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3GHz
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
Mac OS X - U.S. English
ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card

iPod mini 4GB - Silver

AirPort Extreme Base Station

Adding 2gb of ram after I get it all set up.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
RyanSA4 said:
Anyone else have an opinion on this post? I have 3 hours left until I purchase the Dual 2.3 Powermac. Anyone else want to give me a reason not to. :)
Here's what I am planning on getting.

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3GHz
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
Mac OS X - U.S. English
ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card

iPod mini 4GB - Silver

Adding 2gb of ram after I get it all set up.

The AirPort Extreme Base Station is overpriced and doesn't include a cable/adsl modem, I would buy a non apple adsl modem router combo, it will only cost you a bit more than the modem only and you will save all the money from the Airport, you'll also have only 1 device instead of two. THe airport is pretty but it needs a broadband modem which will still be ugly and sit next to it. I would buy a white netgear wireless modem router, it looks good, does everything and is cheaper.

Tera

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2005
ya, I am the same way. I have been waiting for the Powerbooks since August...since the rumors started and I have been holding out, using the crappy PC's my school has (because I have huge breaks in between classes and their macs are not formatted for the use of our personal hard drive space the school gives us and they block all downloading...even documents from emails for the macs...it is such a conspiracy)..not to mention having to touch the gross sticky dirty keyboards just waiting for the new powerbook to come out to take it to school and play during class (since there is wireless internet). AHHHH decisions decisions...I just want the 12 inch and I heard that there is only going to be a very small upgrade if at all...like maybe .03 ghz added? My boyfriend who owns a ton of mac stuff says to hold through until next Tuesday..does anyone feel tlhe same way?? I want to bring my baby (powerbook) home!!! I have tons of computers at home but it doesn't do me any good when I am at school.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
javiercr said:
The AirPort Extreme Base Station is overpriced and doesn't include a cable/adsl modem, I would buy a non apple adsl modem router combo, it will only cost you a bit more than the modem only and you will save all the money from the Airport, you'll also have only 1 device instead of two. THe airport is pretty but it needs a broadband modem which will still be ugly and sit next to it. I would buy a white netgear wireless modem router, it looks good, does everything and is cheaper.

I already have a cable modem that I use for my Dell that is downstairs in my house. I am putting the PowerMac up in my room an wanted it to be wireless. So I was getting the Extreme Base station and hooking it up downstairs to the Dell. I am going to connect the modem to the AEX on the Base station and the Dell to the LAN port.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You're getting a dream machine that will just knock your socks off.

The 2.3 is the sweet spot in the PowerMac line-up and probably more computer than you''ll ever need.

As soon as budget permits add 1 or 2 GB's of 3rd party RAM and you'll be in great shape

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I recommend 2gigs of RAM as well. I have 2gigs and have yet to have a pageout :eek:

I would also recommend having a raptor HD in there if you can.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
FFTT said:
You're getting a dream machine that will just knock your socks off.

The 2.3 is the sweet spot in the PowerMac line-up and probably more computer than you''ll ever need.

As soon as budget permits add 1 or 2 GB's of 3rd party RAM and you'll be in great shape

The budget already permits it. :) I am going to add 2gb of Samsung ram from OWC (Macsales.com).
I can't wait.!!!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
Try to contain your excitement just a bit and be sure to test run your new system AS SHIPPED before adding anything.

Adding RAM is easy, but be sure to follow static procedure.

Apple RAM slots are very close tollerance, so you'll need to use careful but firm pressure to make sure the RAM DIMMs seat all the way allowing the
RAM keeps to close.

With your system off, open the side panel, unclip & slide out the fan assembly and you'll see your RAM slots.

One of each PAIR of DIMMs goes on either side of the divider, you'll see.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
FFTT said:
Apple RAM slots are very close tollerance, so you'll need to use careful but firm pressure to make sure the RAM DIMMs seat all the way allowing the
RAM keeps to close.

More than firm, took wicked firm pressure to stick it into my computer

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
FFTT said:
Try to contain your excitement just a bit and be sure to test run your new system AS SHIPPED before adding anything.

Adding RAM is easy, but be sure to follow static procedure.

RAM keeps to close.

With your system off, open the side panel, unclip & slide out the fan assembly and you'll see your RAM slots.

One of each PAIR of DIMMs goes on either side of the divider, you'll see.
Yeah I know, I am going to test it out for a week or so (should that be enough?) before I put in the new ram, just incase there is a problem. Thanks for the info on how to put the ram in though. :) I have been searching around and found that some people had to use a lot of pressure to put the ram in, hopefully it won't be that bad.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
I have been waiting since the beginning of August. And I have had my new monitor for almost 2 weeks now so I just sucked it up and bought the 2.3 powermac and got the free Ipod. So I'm happy. :)

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
good call, its definantly worth it to hit up the student union price, and that Dual 2.3 with a 24" monitor is pretty sweet. You should be good to go for quite a while. Congrats...

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
RyanSA4 said:

Don't waste your money on the airport extreme base station. Buy a linksys wireless G router and you will save $200. You get the exact same thing except you can also use it as an ethernet router.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
FFTT said:
Now for the hardest part

waiting on Fed EX or UPS GRRRRRRR!
I got your private message, but for some reason when i try and reply my Dell freezes. So I'll ask you here. Is that harddrive you got internal or external? That's a really good price.
Also to anyone else what harddrives would you recommend external or internal and which ones?

Pizza Boy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2005
When upgrading the memory, I chose Ballistix DDR PC4000 2GB Kit from Crucial. The ram is slightly more expensive than buying some off brands but still much cheaper than what Apple is wanting for their stock ram. The Ballistix memory comes with heat spreaders to release heat. They are specifically designed for performance users and our 100% compatible with Apple. The memory is designed faster and with lower latencies. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Which means a lot if you have ever had a ram stick die on you.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
RyanSA4 said:
I got your private message, but for some reason when i try and reply my Dell freezes. So I'll ask you here. Is that harddrive you got internal or external? That's a really good price.
Also to anyone else what harddrives would you recommend external or internal and which ones?

I bought the Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA INTERNAL Drive from Newegg
on one of their 1 day specials for $109.50

Seagates Rock ( quietly ) and with a 5 year warranty I'm happy.

I didn't see any need for an external at this point with the open SATA bay in my machine.

My problem now is trying to figure out which drive to use for my Master
since the Stock 160 GB drive in my machine is a Maxtor.

I'm dreading the reformat since I won't need the current partition on the 160 GB HD any more.

I've been a Mac user for a long time, but I still don't understand the best way to set up a secondary drive for audio recording.

I just ordered the M-Audio F/W 410 A/D interface so I can finally begin the learning curve to use digital multi-track recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.