Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I thought I'd do some number crunching. Checked high my workout app on my phone to see how my resting calorie burn changed between 1.0 and 1.01.

It didn't.

I've burned exactly the same number of resting calories EVERY DAY since my first full day with the watch.

This tells me resting calories are being estimated by algorithms based on your age/height/weight, not heart rate/activity levels.

Active calories are another matter, but they've been pretty consistent since day one, even after the change, so it's hard to argue the results of the change from my end.

Thoughts?

Reactions: AdamInKent

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
These two things have nothing to do with each other.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Based on what he is a saying, he believes they changed it because it was an unnecessary process for calculating calories burned, unless working out.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
My bad, I thought the implication was clear.

As the post above mentions, I believe they removed it because it was just wasted resources, since it didn't actually contribute to resting calories burned anyway. Maybe it contributed somewhat to active calories throughout the day (logically you'd think it would) but my numbers have been more or less the same regardless. Perhaps the process of calibrating during a workout helps the watch get a good handle on how many calories you burn based on how much you're moving?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
My bad, I thought the implication was clear.

As the post above mentions, I believe they removed it because it was just wasted resources, since it didn't actually contribute to resting calories burned anyway. Maybe it contributed somewhat to active calories throughout the day (logically you'd think it would) but my numbers have been more or less the same regardless. Perhaps the process of calibrating during a workout helps the watch get a good handle on how many calories you burn based on how much you're moving?

There are lots of reasons to want heart rate data that have nothing do with calories burned.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Resting calories are never based on heart rate. Active calories are. Since 1.0.1 my active calories are 1/2 of what they use to be. I work at a restaurant and I'm no longer getting credit for serving tables like I use to.

1.0.1 is a disaster in terms of heart rate functionality. It has made filling my calorie and exercise goal that much harder. The only way I can get exercise minutes is using the workout app now, unlike before.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Resting calories are never based on heart rate. Active calories are. Since 1.0.1 my active calories are 1/2 of what they use to be. I work at a restaurant and I'm no longer getting credit for serving tables like I use to.

1.0.1 is a disaster in terms of heart rate functionality. It has made filling my calorie and exercise goal that much harder. The only way I can get exercise minutes is using the workout app now, unlike before.

I'm still filling the rings fine, even after 1.01. Have you calibrated the watch yet?

I would still prefer the old system, but if the result continue to be consistent despite the change, something must be working correctly. Maybe the old way was just overkill?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm still filling the rings fine, even after 1.01. Have you calibrated the watch yet?

I would still prefer the old system, but if the result continue to be consistent despite the change, something must be working correctly. Maybe the old way was just overkill?

I've calibrated it at least 5 times since I've re-paired it to my phone. It was flawless before. My girlfriend and sister are having issues with calories and ring filling as well.

This is why I'm in contact with Apple Executive and have a team of engineers in contact with me constantly gathering logs and information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.